August 21, 2019
Important This Week!
- EMERGENCY CONTACTS!!! We still have about 200 families that have not updated their emergency contact info for students! This is scary. If you did not get the chance to log on to the parent portal and update it for this school year, you will need to print the attached emergency card and send it to school with your child ASAP. You can also email it to us! Following are the links to download the emergency card:
- Click here for English
- Click here for Spanish
- Thank you all for a smooth and sweet opening to the school year! It is so great to welcome our students back to campus!
- Parent Volunteers: If you are new to CCC and would like to volunteer in the classroom, you will need to complete a volunteer packet. Additionally we need a clear TB test of file and you will need to be fingerprinted. Here is the link to our volunteer packet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16t6lWZtmYJbjGxoXK6BrpDCyW2qDGxje/view?usp=sharing
- Coppin is a closed campus. With school in full swing, we will be enforcing our closed campus policy. If you plan to join your child on the playground or courtyard in the morning, please stop by and sign in at the front office. We like to keep everyone accounted for. If you wish to visit your child's classroom, please make arrangements directly with their teacher ahead of time. We love our families, but it can be disruptive to have surprise guests.
- Coppin is hiring! We are looking for some help with supervision at Coppin. We are hiring for our morning crossing guard position from 7:45-8:05 M-F, coming soon, we will also be looking for a noon-duty supervisor from 11:40-1:00 M-F. If you know of anyone that is interested, please send them our way. Here is the link to all the current positions with Western Placer Unified School District: https://www.edjoin.org/wpusd
Upcoming Dates and Calendar Info...LOTS GOING ON!
- Friday 8/23: Bucketfilling Assemblies
- Monday 8/26: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Monday 9/2: Labor Day NO SCHOOL
- Monday 9/9: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Monday 9/16: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Monday 9/23: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Wednesday: 9/25 Fall Picture Day
- Friday 9/27: Family Bingo Night
- Monday 9/30: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Thursday 10/3: NO SCHOOL
- Friday 10/4: NO SCHOOL
- Monday 10/7: NO SCHOOL
- Monday 10/14: Staff Development Day: NO SCHOOL
- Friday 10/18: Picture Retakes
- Friday 10/18: Fall Festival
- Monday 10/21: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Monday 10/28: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Thursday 10/31: Halloween Parade
- Sunday 11/3: Daylight Savings Time
- Monday 11/4: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- Monday 11/11: Veteran's Day: NO SCHOOL
- 11/12-11/15: 5th grade at Shady Creek Outdoor School
- 11/18-11/22: Parent Teacher Conference Week: Early Dismissal
- 11/25-11/29: Thanksgiving Break: NO SCHOOL
- 12/2: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- 12/9: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- 12/11-12/13: Santa Shoppe
- 12/16-12/20: Early Release Day, Dismissal at 1:40pm
- 12/23-1/5: Winter Break NO SCHOOL
- Monday 1/6/20: School Resumes, Early Dismissal at 1:40pm
"Bucketfilling is an easily understood metaphor that with intentional practice can quickly become a part of the social-emotional fabric of our lives, our families, and our communities. So remember to do those little things that make a big difference..." - Kelly Nickel, M.A. Ed., Bucketfillers Forever!
Click here to learn more.
CARLIN C. COPPIN CHOIR
Our school Choir starts on Monday, September 9th from 1:50-2:50 PM! All 3rd, 4th and 5th graders who like to sing and represent our school are welcome to join (40 member limit, please). We'll perform at the Winter and Spring Concerts, the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, as well as, sing the national anthem at a Potters game. Also, we will be performing a mini-musical in the spring: Seussical Kids!
If your student would like to join band, please attend the meeting with your student on September 5th at 3:00 PM at First Street School, room 1. Band rehearsals are every Wednesday and Thursday after school at First Street. What a great way for your student to learn to play an instrument and work with an ensemble!
For more information, see the attached flyer, or contact Mr. Medina: email@example.com
Support School Safety
Please remember that supervision for students begins at 7:45am. There is no supervision for students prior to that. Please plan your mornings accordingly, we want our students to be safe!
Parking & Drop Off
Please note that parking is at a premium, particularly now that we have so many new families who joined us this fall. If you are arriving early and waiting with your child in your car, please consider parking along the street to ensure our staff can find parking when they arrive.
It is essential that you pull all the way forward in the drop off lane so that we can get all of our cars/kiddos into the drop off zone and then out of their car in a safe and efficient manner. When there are no buses in the drop off area, please pull all the way forward. You may drop off in the bus area after the buses leave. This will create more room for everyone to move through safely.
If you are walking your child onto campus and plan to go past the big, black gate, you must sign in at the front office and obtain a visitor badge to be on campus. Remember to sign out when you leave as well. This helps us to account for everyone that is on campus.
Click here for the August - September Lunch Menu
DID YOU KNOW??...
Coppin was the recipient of the California Civic Learning Award of Merit in 2019: this highlights our commitment to developing student leadership and serving our community
Coppin has been recognized by Educational Results Partnership as an Honor Roll School recognized for high levels of student academic achievement, improvement in achievement over time, and reduction in achievement gaps
Coppin is a model school for Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS): In California, MTSS is an integrated, comprehensive framework that focuses on common core standards, core instruction, differentiated learning, student-centered learning, individualized student needs, and the alignment of systems necessary for all students’ academic, behavioral, and social success.
Coppin is a Certified AVID Elementary School
- School wide behavior: We have weekly lessons focusing on school wide behavior and our school wide rules: BE SAFE, BE RESPECTFUL, BE RESPONSIBLE! You can find the lessons we will be teaching on our school calendar on the website. Students will be taught the weekly lesson on Monday or Tuesday by their teacher. Check it out on the school calendar! In addition to the weekly lessons, students will also be recognized for doing their best by receiving Sparky Tickets or ROAR Tickets. Students are recognized for going above and beyond to be safe, responsible or respectful and can earn special prizes and privileges for their Tickets.
- SCHOOL SHOUT OUTS! Every day we give shout outs to our students staff during our morning announcements. Students and staff can write a special note of appreciation to recognize someone on campus for their support. We have a shout out box for parents in the office if you would like to recognize someone on campus, let us know!
- Attendance Matters: Please drop-off students on-time and avoid checking them out early, if possible. Late drop-offs and early pick-up causes disruptions in the classroom and to your child's learning. If your child is LATE, you will need to walk them into the office and sign them in.
Good To Know
- BUCKLE UP: We've gotten many reports that our precious students may not be properly buckled in when getting dropped off and picked up from school. Current California Law States:
Children under 2 years of age shall ride in a rear-facing car seat unless the child weighs 40 or more pounds OR is 40 or more inches tall. The child shall be secured in a manner that complies with the height and weight limits specified by the manufacturer of the car seat. (California Vehicle Code Section 27360.)
Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4’9” in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt. (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)
Buckle all children ages 12 and under in the back seat. Airbags can kill young children riding in the front seat. Never place a rear-facing car seat in front of an airbag.
Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.
Here is a link to the California Highway Patrol Website for more information:
- Dogs on Campus: We love our furry friends but please keep them off campus. If you are walking your children to school with your dogs, please say your good-byes before you step on to campus. Not everyone loves dogs and it can be scary for some. We appreciate you keeping your four-legged babies off of school grounds. Thank you!
- Did you know our Student Handbook has been updated? You can find it on our website here: http://ccces.wpusd.org/Parents/Student-Handbook/index.html