We Are Together Tamanend!
January 10, 2020
Tamanend Student Wins Grand Prize in Photojournalism Contest
The Renaissance Faire judges have spoken, and the results are in! Congratulations to 7th grade Journey student Victoria D. on winning the Grand Prize in the middle grades division of the Photojournalism contest. Victoria’s photograph and caption were selected by the judges as representing the magic and mysticism of the Renaissance Faire better than any other submission across all field trip days. As a result of her Grand Prize selection, Victoria and her family will receive an invitation to a Winner’s picnic held during the 2020 Renaissance Faire season. Congratulations, Victoria!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Parent Council--Thursday, January 16 at 9:00 AM
School Holiday--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day--Monday, January 20
Celebration of Our Schools--Wednesday, January 29 at 6:30 PM at CB South
Early Dismissal (End of 2nd Marking Period)--Friday, January 31
Winter Pep Rally--Friday, January 31 (during school day)
Kelly Anne Dolan Day--Saturday, February 22 (snow date Saturday, February 29)
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Girls Basketball team for finishing the regular season with an undefeated record. Good luck in next week’s tournament!
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the attached flier for additional information.
- ATTENTION WINTER ATHLETES: If you are interested in participating in BOYS BASKETBALL, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE. Tryouts begin Monday, January 13th.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the game and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- If you are interested in attending CB South’s A and/or AAA ice hockey games, please see the schedules included in this newsletter.
- No contests
- Boys Basketball tryouts begin
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball: Postseason tournament quarterfinal vs. winner of New Hope/Klinger (Home; 3:15); scoreboard: Max
- *8th Grade Girls Basketball: Postseason tournament semifinal vs. winner of Newtown/Unami (@ Holicong; 4:15); bus leaves at 3:15
- *8th Grade Girls Basketball: Postseason tournament championship vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- 7th/8th Grade Wrestling @ Tohickon (A 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- No contests
*must win prior round game in order to advance
CB South Ice Hockey
4-3 Win Over CB East
JV played Thursday night and gave a great effort in a 3-2 loss to Neshaminy.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Applebee's Flapjack Fundraiser Breakfast to Support Tamanend Players--February 1
Come out to support Tamanend Players on Saturday, February 1 in their first ever Pancake Breakfast! Visit the Applebee’s on 611 between 8:00 and 10:00 am to enjoy sausage and unlimited pancakes with coffee, tea, and juice. Tickets are only $8 for anyone 11 and older, and $5 for children 10 and under. Bring your friends and start the day off right… plus you never know when your servers might break out into song! Tickets will be on sale beginning next week. Contact Mrs. Reitz (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 4
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Basketball Tournament is February 22
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district wide program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by the chosen asset for each month of the school year.
We had a very exciting celebration this week! 9th grade student, Ethan Cunningham was recognized as a District winner for the month of November. Ethan was presented an award by Mrs. Santacecilia on behalf on the CB Cares Educational Foundation. Congratulations to Ethan on this momentous achievement!
Additionally, we honored students recognized for the month of December’s asset—Honesty. Recognizing a young person who “tells the truth when it’s not easy”. We would like to highlight our building winner, 7th grade student, Brett Barrett:
Brett exemplifies an honest friend that many peers go to when they need advice, support, etc. Teachers always overhear other students talking about Brett and how he is such a good friend that many students trust. In addition to being an honest friend, Brett always shows academic honesty when in class. He seeks help from his teachers when he doesn't understand material and comes with specific questions. On the rare occasion he forgets to do his homework, he is honest about it and catches up quickly. He never gives excuses!
Congratulations to Brett and all of the following nominees: Emma Deeken, Brooke Edwards, Gabriella Jusino, Abigail Kim, Hannah Lloyd, Jayson Lowrie, Breckyn Loynd, Marielle Mauri, Edward McDonald, Avery Merz, Brendon Nimchuk, Alondra Ochoa Inuma, Derek Staedtler, Gabrielle Tarka, Mark Wullert
Reminder--Program Planning for 2020-2021
Program Planning for the 2020-2021 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 2--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online. Click here to view.
- January 6--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders (during school day)
- January 9--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 17--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at https://www.cbsd.org/domain/387
- January 17 to February 9--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 29--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 7--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 7th Graders
- February 25--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 3--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 8th Graders
- March 20--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 9th Graders
- March 26--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 9th Graders
Reminder--New Tamanend Gear Available!
Reminder--Parent Volunteers Needed for Freshman Dance Preparations
We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in helping to setup and prepare for the Freshman Dance, scheduled for June 5th. Parents of students in any grade level are welcome to attend. Please click here to for additional information.
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
Reminder--Help is Down the Hall
The Tamanend Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a group of trained faculty members who can connect students with appropriate help and resources if they show signs of struggling with mental health concerns or alcohol/substance use. If you notice concerns such as major changes in behavior or mood, drop in achievement, or use of drugs or alcohol, then you may consider a SAP referral. When the team receives a referral, we gather more information to determine if there is a need for intervention and further assessment. The information is confidential, and the process is for the purpose of offering help. Anyone can refer a student about whom they are concerned. Referrals can be made at this referral link or by contacting a SAP team member:
Mrs. Barlow, Mrs. Cammann, Sra. Corsino, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Heisey,
Mr. Klein, Mrs. Myrtetus, Ms. Scheffey, & Mrs. Szagola
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Digital Citizenship, Cyber Safety, Cyberbullying
This week Tamanend welcomed Mr. David Shallcross from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office to speak to our 7th and 8th Graders about digital citizenship, cyber safety, and cyberbullying. Click here for resources related to online safety from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. Click here for resources related cyberbullying from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
CB Save the Music 2020--January 24 & 25
Celebration of Our Schools--January 29
Reminder--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bucks and Montco Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit--January 19
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Nominate a Tamanend Student for January Boomerang Recognition
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
Nominations for the January's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 01/24. The chosen for January is Asset #27: Equality and JusticeRecognizing a young person places high value on promoting equality and reducing hunger and poverty. Please submit your nomination through this link. Staff members who nominate students will wear jeans to show
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 16th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900