The Good News
Welcome Back! August 31, 2018
We Are All God's Masterpiece -Ephesians 2:10
It is with great joy and gratitude that I welcome you and your children to our Saint John XXIIII village for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year! I am thrilled to be back at Saint John XXIII and recognize the tremendous blessing and responsibility I have been graced with to journey with each of your children. As I walked through the classrooms and halls of Saint John XXIII this week, the dedication and commitment to your children is evident.
Our division theme, "We are All God's Masterpiece" comes from the sacred scripture of Ephesians where we are reminded that each one of us is inherently loved and created in the image of God-Imago Dei- as His own original masterpiece and called to do good works. I am certain that every Saint John XXIII parent, at some point, has stood in awe and wonder of the beautiful masterpiece of your child whom you have been called to teach and love.
It is my sincere hope and commitment to see, celebrate, and love each of your “masterpieces” that we have been blessed with. I look forward to meeting all of you and cannot wait to know your child.
A Little About Your SJXXIII Leadership Team
My teaching journey began at Saint John XXIII in 2006 as a homeroom Grade 4 teacher. I have been blessed to experience many rich opportunities since then including: Inclusive Learning Facilitator, Instructional Coach, and Leadership. My current research focus has been devoted to professional collaboration. I love God, my family, learning, teaching, baseball, turtles, and connecting with people.
I believe that every person needs to know that they are loved and valued. I know that it takes a village to raise a child and am very grateful for the dedicated SJ team that is ready to serve our students. It is with great joy and humility that l have returned "home" to our Saint John XXIII village and I cannot wait to meet your children!
Mme Dargis-Boucher-Assistant Principal
Greetings St. John XXIII Community,
It is such a privilege to have this opportunity to work with you and your children. My career has spanned multiple grade levels with varying roles but a constant in this journey are the rewards I have received from working with children and families. I feel such excitement for this new adventure and look forward to meeting you! Please do no hesitate to come and introduce yourself.
Hi, I’m Rita Astalosch and I will be working with the students and staff of St. John XXIII as the Collaborative Response Coordinator. During my 26 years with Elk Island Catholic Schools, I have been extremely fortunate to work at four different schools in a variety of roles. I am excited to learn and grow with the St. John XXIII Catholic School family!
Our Saint John XXIII Staff
Hello! My name is Eleanor Heesing and I am excited to be a part of the St. John XXIII family in the role of Family Wellness Worker.
Fort Saskatchewan has been home for our family for 25 years so there are sure to be a few familiar faces as we enter into a new year of learning and getting to know each other!
Please do not hesitate to stop by and say hello when you are in the school!
First Day-September 4/First Week...What to expect...
1. Bell rings at 8:45 am. Doors will be open at 8:30 am.
2. Dismissal is 3:23 pm.
3. Second day, Sept. 5th is Early Out. Dismissal is 2:23 pm.
3. Please see information below re: drop off, pick up, bus.
4. Lunchtime: students will play first and then eat. Teachers this year will build in two snack breaks am and pm, prior to or after recess. We are encouraging students to have their nutritious snacks inside rather than out so they can focus on their movement and play during recess. This also assists with safety (choking and wasps) and care for our environment (less waste in our playground).
5. Welcome Back Assembly Monday, September 10th 9:00 am
Attendance Reporting Procedures - School Messenger
REPORTING ABSENCES: SAFE ARRIVAL
Please click on this link for important information on the best way to let us know that your child will be late or away from school.
It is our first priority every morning to ensure that all students are accounted for. Using this new tool helps us to expedite this process to ensure the safe arrival of all of our students. We appreciate your partnership in keeping our little people safe.
We are Health Champions
In accordance with our EICS Nutrition AP, our school will:
- Ensure strategies are in place to foster the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that promote healthy eating.
- Using the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines, distribution of food in our elementary school will align with the Choose Most Often and Choose Sometimes categories.
- Special events will incorporate the principles outlines in the Alberta Nutrition Guideline for Children and Youth.
- Hot Lunch Programs will provide healthy choices from the Choose Most Often and Choose Sometimes categories, and will phase out foods from the Choose Least Often categories.
- Schools will use non-food rewards to provide incentives.
So what, now what? What does this mean for students, staff, and families of Saint John XXIII?
- We recognize that nutrition is fundamentally a parental decision and we acknowledge parents as the first teacher of their child.
- Staff will continue to share information and ideas about the categories with students and families.
- We will not be able to distribute any birthday "treats" or food that is brought in. If your child would really like to share on their birthday, there are many non-food options available such as: a book donation or pencils.
- Administration will continue to work jointly with our Hot Lunch Coordinators to ensure nutritious choices are made available.
Parking, Drop off, Pick ups...
Sept. 5: Early out Dismissal
Sept. 10: Welcome Back Assembly 9:00 am
Sept. 13: Meet the SJ Staff
Sept. 18: Picture Day
Sept. 28: Terry Fox Run