Fernwood Avenue Middle School
WEEK OF JANUARY 10, 2021
FROM THE DESK OF THE PRINCIPAL:
Nothing But the Truth by Avi
Ms. McLaughlins' classes, read the novel Nothing But the Truth by Avi before Winter break. They were required to make video book trailers to entice next year's 8th graders into wanting to read the book. The finished products were amazing!! The acting, production, and editing were all wonderfully done.
Some of the various types of projects were Animoto video, live acting including many family members, and even one with Lego actors! They were all so creative and fun to watch. Great job, Gold Team.
Flying Lessons and Other Short Stories
Click on the images below to view:
Battle of the Pages
FERNWOOD IS LEADING ALDER! 26,357 vs. 9,471
Total books submitted: 163
Total pages read: 35,828
Top Reader at each school: Fernwood: Lily Lawas from Mrs. Whittle's class, with 3346 pages read
Alder: Cheyenne Bilge from Ms. Kirch's class with 988 pages read.
Top contenders for the pie in the face: Ms. Whittle and Mrs. Giardina
See charts below for a breakdown of what team is reading the most at each school.
Please visit our website at https://sites.google.com/eht.k12.nj.us/battle-of-the-pages-alder-vs-f/home
National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) Guidelines
You need to maintain a cumulative average of 92 or higher in all subjects
You must maintain these grades in order to be included in the spring ceremony.
(75% of the average is based on academic subjects that meet every day all year and 25% is based on other subjects that do not meet every day.)
Also, remember that you need a good attendance record, and you cannot have an office discipline record. The average will not be rounded up.
To remain a member of NJHS, a member must meet the following requirements:
Constitution of the National Junior Honor Society
Article X: Dismissal
Section 2. Members who fall below the standards that were the basis for their selection shall be promptly warned in writing by the chapter advisor and given a reasonable amount of time to correct the deficiency. In the case of flagrant violation of school rules or the law, a member does not necessarily have to be warned.
1. A member must maintain a 92 or higher overall average in Math, English, Social Studies, Science, Foreign Language, and Specials for 7th and 8th grades.
2. If a member drops below a cumulative 92 average in Math, English, Social Studies, Science, Foreign Language, and Specials, the member will be placed on probation. If the average has not reached the proper level by the end of the probationary period, the student’s membership will be terminated.
3. If a member receives an Out of School Suspension for three or more days, his or her membership will be immediately terminated.
4. If a member receives an Out of School Suspension for one or two days, it will be an administrative / advisor decision as to whether it will result in termination of membership or an exclusion from NJHS activities for one month.
5. If a member receives a Saturday Detention, he or she will be excluded from NJHS activities for one month.
6. If a member receives an Office Detention, he or she will be excluded from NJHS activities for two weeks.
CLIMATE and CULTURE
Believers of the Month
Shout Outs of the Week
This year Fernwood Avenue Middle School has received the New Jersey Child Assault Prevention (NJCAP) Program grant. We will be providing workshops beginning with our 6th grade students. These workshops include tactics to help prevent abuse and bullying, assertiveness without aggression, and self protection strategies. Each student will receive two 30 minute sessions beginning the week of January 19, 2021. If for some reason you choose not to have your student attend these workshops, written requests to the school principal must be received by Friday, January 15th. Please email your request for denial to Mr. Fricke at email@example.com.
Please click the graphic below for the Parent/Staff NJCAP Video for more information.
Tik Tok Photo Round Up
Fernwood Mindfulness, Brain Breaks, News - Google Classrooms
Fernwood Student Council is happy to announce our Fernwood Mindfulness, Brain Breaks, News, and More Google Classroom!
If your child would like to have the chance to access a Google Classroom that will post mindfulness activities, brain breaks, information on school wide events, and more, please have your child join this Google Classroom! Please remember that this is completely optional and being provided as a resource for students who would like to have access to something of this nature.
Students can join by either:
a.) Using this link: https://classroom.google.com/c/MjE1OTE1MzYwMzAy?cjc=ql35edw
b.) Using this code: ql35edw