SCCS Home Bulletin
October 6, 2021
FROM DR. B.
Greetings, Trailblazer family!
We’ll continue going with the ABCs of SCCS series. So far, we’ve had A = alternate revenue (and accessibility) and B = Bible curriculum and statement of faith. Now it’s time for C = chapel and connection groups.
Each Wednesday at SCCS, we reserve part of our day for worship and fellowship. How we spend our time demonstrates what we value. And if we say that we value worship and a focus on God, we need to set aside time for just that. From 1:35-2:00 on Wednesdays, students have the opportunity to participate in various forms of worship.
Week 1 of the month = whole-school storyline worship: At this chapel, we introduce our storyline focus, which this year means that we are having each grade level share with the rest of the school what their storyline is and how they live it out each day in their classrooms. For example, in September, we had TK share about their storyline of We are the Joymakers, and K shared about their storyline Learn to Love, Love to Learn. We invite you to join us for this chapel if you are able!
Week 2 of the month = connection groups: Two homerooms pair up to pray together, sing together, or do other relationship-building activities focused on the storyline focus of the month.
Week 3 of the month = grades TK-4 chapel, grades 5-8 teacher choice: Grades TK-4 gather in the gym for a time of praise and worship, while students in grades 5-8 participate in activities chosen by their teachers.
Week 4 of the month = grades 5-8 chapel, grades TK-4 teacher choice: Grades 5-8 gather in the gym for a time of praise and worship, while students in grades TK-4 participate in activities chosen by their teachers.
Chapel and connections: two key rhythms that we practice at SCCS, helping us implement our vision of every child treasured and every child trained so that every child may be transformed.
Have a great rest of your week!
Each year, we invite parents to complete a feedback survey. We use this information to discover trends and also to compare this year's results to last year's results. We also survey faculty/staff and our 7th and 8th graders.
We invite every parent to complete the survey, and the deadline is October 11. We take seriously the information shared and use it to celebrate and improve.
Please head to the link below to complete the survey. As you consider your responses, please think about your broad experience with SCCS, not necessarily individual experiences that may have happened. We would like to hear your feedback regarding the overall experience at school.
Thanks for your participation!
3RD GRADE CREATION ENJOYERS AND ORDER DISCOVERERS
4th GRADE ORDER DISCOVERERS
Mrs. Vander Kooi's 4th graders were Order Discoverers as they worked through an "Energy Pipeline" activity that simulated the energy that gets passed up the energy pyramid. The "carnivores" realized they had to be patient as they waited for the energy to get passed from the sun, to the producers (plants), to the herbivores, and then finally to the carnivores.
Thank you to the faculty members who will be presenting this year. We are so thankful for the experts we have on our team!
- Rachel Vanden Hull, Amanda Woudstra: Social Emotional Learning: Fostering Relationships and Cultivating Learning
- Lisa Mouw, Gretchen De Wit, Dan Tinklenberg: A Journey to Block Scheduling
- Kristina Harmelink (with Mary Dirksen and Dana Broers): A Celebration of Neurodiversity: Thriving Partnerships with Learners, Parents, Teachers and the Learning Center
- Alan Bandstra: Managing the Status Drive
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
Storyline Chapel today: 5th graders share their storyline: SEEK and SHINE. The livestream and recording will be at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/students/chapel.cfm
- There will be no school for students on Thursday, Oct 7 and Friday, Oct. 8. Teachers will be attending the Heartland Conference on Dordt's campus on those days. The TRIP office will be open on Thursday from 8:00-1:00 and closed on Friday. The school office will be closed both days.
- Parent Teacher conferences will take place Oct. 26 and 27. Sign -up information will be sent out next week via Bloomz. We request all families participate in these conferences.
- Because of conferences being held earlier in the week, there will be no school on Friday, Oct. 29.
Faculty members are actively studying two books this year, one for use during faculty devotion time and the other as discussion material for professional development. Check out these texts as potentials to add to your home library! #worldviewmatters #reformed #intentional #treasured #trained #transformed
Reformed: What It Means, Why It Matters by Rob De Moor (all new faculty and trustees also read and study this book every year) https://www.faithaliveresources.org/Products/150755/reformed-what-it-means-why-it-matters.aspx
Beyond Biblical Integration: Immersing You and Your Students in a Biblical Worldview by Roger C.S. Erdvig (he is also coming to work with SCCS faculty in February) https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Biblical-Integration-Immersing-Worldview/dp/1733025650
- Please note that because of a recent conflict at the the BJ Haan Auditorium at Dordt, the TK-4 program will now be held on Thursday, February 10 at 7:00 pm instead of December 16. Please make this change on your calendar!
- Just a reminder that Grandparent/Special Friend Day will be held in the spring (April 8) this year.
GIFTS THAT REDUCE TAXES
Discover popular ways to support Kingdom-building ministry and reduce your taxes!
Barnabas Foundation is hosting a FREE, five-part online training series that will provide you with practical tips for giving in ways that increase your impact while reducing your costs and headaches. Each session is approximately 20-minutes long and recordings will be available; registration is required. Learn more: www.BarnabasFoundation.com/Interactive
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Carmen Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS NEEDED
We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Carmen Mulder (email@example.com) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
KIWANIS PANCAKE SUPPER
Take your family out for supper to the Kiwanis Pancake Supper NEXT Tuesday, October 12, serving from 5-7pm at the Centre Mall in Sioux Center. Enjoy pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon!
The funds raised at this event support our 5th grade class trip to Des Moines and the SC Community 8th grade trip to Des Moines, plus other local Kiwanis projects (books for 1st graders, dictionaries for 3rd graders and more).
Freewill donation, with a suggested donation of $6 per person (2 & under free).
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
Junior Wolfpack Boys Basketball for Grades 5-8
Junior Knights Girls Basketball for Grades 5-8
5th/6th Sioux Center Rec Volleyball Teams & Schedules
Western Christian Junior Wolfpack Girls Basketball for Grades 5-8
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED