CITY OF TUSCALOOSA
Facts about The City of Tuscaloosa
- The Black Warrior Village has been in existence as earl as 1580 , although it was abandoned at times.
- The village was unoccupied circa 1750-1760 according to several historical sources.
- The primary native tribes of the area were the Choctaw and creeks.
- The creeks resettled the old village around1800s.
- BY order of general Andrew Jackson General Coffee and his men attacked the creek village in 1813 during the creek war.
- The village was burned as retaliation to the kidnapping of a Mrs. Crawly at Duck River, Tennessee, leaving few creeks in the area.
- The Choctaw Indians removed to lands west of Tuscaloosa, Although some remained in the area.
- By 1836 president Andrew Jackson had decided that all Indian Territory , a move which we all know as the trail of tears.
- According to several sources the first permanent white settler of the black warrior village was Thomas york, and family, who came to the area in early 816
- By late 1816 several families were in the area.
- The county seat was establish in the town of Tuscaloosa , which was incorporated By December, 1819 from the black warrior village.
- Tuscaloosa was laid out by Collin Finnel in early 1821 for the government.
- Lots were sold at auction in November 1821.