GIANT PANDAS

GEORGIA MCHENRY

Classification Order

• Kingdom: Animalia

• Phylum: Chordata

• Subphylum:Vertebrata

• Class: Mammalia

• Order: Carnivora

• Family: Ursidae

• Genus: Ailuropoda

• Species:Ailuropoda Melanoleuca

Habitat and Diet

Giant pandas are endangered. They can be found in central China, in the mountain regions. The type of environment they live is in broadleaf and coniferous forests. They like the forests because they are cool and wet. They live in forests where bamboo is present. The Giant Panda has the digestive system of a carnivore but eats like an herbivore. Panda's eat for 12 hours a day which means they are consuming around 28 pounds of bamboo a day. Wild Panda's eat 99% bamboo, and the other 1% is other grasses and sometimes birds and rodents, but pandas in captivity eat some other things too such as carrots, apples, and sweet potatoes.

How do they move?

Panda's can climb trees, crawl, and are good at swimming. They use their hands and feet to move.

Evolutionary Relationships

Panda bears are in the same family as bears such as black bears and polar bears. Bears can live in all types of environments from the arctic tundra to tropical forests . Bears occur in nearly all terrestrial habitats throughout their range, from Arctic tundra and polar ice floes to tropical and temperate forests, mountains, grasslands, and deserts.Bears occur in nearly all terrestrial habitats throughout their range, from Arctic tundra and polar ice floes to tropical and temperate forests, mountains, grasslands, and deserts.Bears occur in nearly all terrestrial habitats throughout their range, from Arctic tundra and polar ice floes to tropical and temperate forests, mountains, grasslands, and deserts.Bears occur in nearly all terrestrial habitats throughout their range, from Arctic tundra and polar ice floes to tropical and temperate forests, mountains, grasslands, and deserts.Bears occur in nearly all terrestrial habitats throughout their range, from Arctic tundra and polar ice floes to tropical and temperate forests, mountains, grasslands, and deserts.Bears BearrilsfnLKSDNosdmmonl

Social Interactions

Giant pandas are solitary. They live a calm lifestyle because their diet does not provide them with a lot of energy. Panda families don't live together, the mothers raise the cubs on their own. Males usually live apart except for during breeding season they live together because they are competing for the female bears attention. They do not keep a mate for life, they only see the male bears when they are looking to mate. Panda bears do not have a permanent home, they roam and sleep at the bottom of trees and rocks.