This Week at Remynse
Our Lockdown Drill
I wanted to take some time to thank you for all of your hard work and patience during the lockdown drill on Thursday. It was a very interesting experience that I expect will help us to improve our systems as a campus. I hope that we are never in a situation where we have to activate a true lockdown. This was my first lockdown situation with security and our police departments. I know I have learned so much from this experience.
I wanted to share a couple of points that were discussed during my meeting with Arlington PD, Grand Prairie PD, and AISD Security. I also want you to keep in mind that we also had about 7 substitutes in the building. Here are a few things that we mentioned:
- All teachers in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade hallway were seen demonstrating the 5 S's! Kudos!! The officer said he saw every teacher scan the hallway, teachers pulled in students from the hallway, all doors were locked, and the entire hallway was quiet. YAY!! He said this hallway received a 100!
- Be sure your doors are always locked. Not all doors were locked on this day. Teachers may have completed all of the appropriate steps, but the "intruder" was able to open some doors. If there is a sub in the room, the office staff should lock the door, but I would like for our team leaders to check the door if a team member is out for the day.
- When you scan the hallway, always be aware of your surroundings. Pull in any students, parents, or teachers into your room. In high stress situations, we often do not see everything around us.
- Please be sure your students are completely silent. The officers noted that some rooms had noise during the drill.
- The officers would like for the cafeteria and lounge doors to remain locked at all times. We will begin to keep the lounge door locked, but propped open with a magnet. We will also keep the cafeteria doors closed during most of the day. We will prop one door on each side open so that you can enter and exit the cafe.
- Make sure that you have your emergency folders posted close to your door. Also, all emergency procedures should be included in your sub lesson plans/sub folder. I walked into one room and reviewed substitute lesson plans. I noticed this teacher included the 5 S's in his plans. Kudos to Mr. Cannon! I am sure many more of you did this, but this was the only one I checked on this day.
- The officers also would like for us to wait until we hear the automated recording before beginning your procedures. He noticed many teachers started the lockdown procedures as soon as my voice was heard making the drill announcement. He stated that we have to listen first to make sure we are doing the correct drill procedures.
- Many teachers stated that it was unclear what to do after the officers came to your door. Many gave you instructions after the drill. This would happen in a real life situation. An officer would have to come by and give you further instructions. We never listen for an administrator to give you instructions over the intercom. An intruder could be forcing the administrator to make certain announcements.
- In future lockdown drills, we have to press the ALL CLEAR button in the office. This was the loud extended sound we heard at the end of the day on Thursday. Only this sound will release you and your students from the drill.
We will spend some time talking about this on Thursday. I know you may still have many questions.
Dates to Remember:
- 5th grade Art Field Trip to AT&T stadium
- Leadership Team Meeting @ 11:30 am in conference room
Wednesday, January 20th
- 5th and 6th Grade Science PLCs
- ARD meetings all day
- Ozuna in meeting on campus starting at 11:30 am-1:00 pm
Thursday, January 21st
- Staff Luncheon-please do not forget to sign up
- Enjoy a jean day to celebrate our January Birthdays
- Staff PD Meeting at 3:50 pm in the library-It will be very important for all teachers to attend since this meeting will be covering an agenda item that has a quick deadline.
Friday, January 22nd
- Spirit participation count due before noon
- Wear your spirit colors and jeans
- Science Bowl-it will be on this short week due to progress reports and CBA testing next week. Have your questions in to Ms. Spencer by the end of the day on Wednesday.
Monday, January 25th
- Tentative PBIS Fidelity Walk
Tuesday, January 26th
- PLCs for K-2
- PLC meetings for 3-6 will vary this week due to CBA testing
Thursday, January 28th
- There will be a system upgrade at Remynse on this day. It should take about 4 hours to complete, but please prepare to teach on this day without your smart boards and computers. Phones will also be down on this day.
- Staff PD at 3:50 p.m-Technology Training (hopefully our system will be back up and running)