By Brooke Landon, Gavin Plowman, John Scheffler
What is a dictatorship?
A dictatorship is a form of government where a single person or group exercises supreme power based on its control of the military and police.
Pros of Dictatorships...
- Power is centralized in the single hands of a single military or political leader who can things done efficiently.
- The leader can put an end to political unrest or a national emergency.
- Leadership by a single person means there will be a lot of progression towards a cause.
- With Dictatorship, there are no arguments in the government.
- The society is law abiding because the laws have harsh punishments.
- You will be favored if you are in the dictator's party or a personal friend.
Cons of Dictatorships...
- Power can be used to abuse citizens who oppose the dictator.
- Dictators face serious legitimacy problems.
- Dictatorships can turn nations into mass genecides if they are not used correctly. Adolf Hitler and what he did to Germany is a perfect example.
- Thousands of people are killed because there is no freedom of speech.
- If the country starts to go the wrong direction economically there is no one to change the country's course.
- Citizens of countries under dictatorships often have very little rights.
- Dictatorships are prone to collapsing very quickly.