JMS Cougar News
Community Newsletter - December 13, 2021
A Message from Principal Blair
Good morning JMS Family & Friends,
It is hard to believe that we are halfway through the 2021-22 school year! As we approach the last week of the semester, I want to thank you for sharing your children with us and choosing Jarrell Middle School. The responsibilities associated with parenting and teaching continue to increase each year. Our staff works hard to create positive learning experiences every day for our students. We will continue the journey of continuous improvement, with you as our partner.
Positive connections between parents and teachers have been shown to improve children’s academic achievement, social competencies and emotional well-being. When parents and teachers work as partners, children do better in school and at home. Thank you for working together to improve our community, our schools, and our kids!
I am wishing you and your family, the Happiest Holiday ever this year!
Unit Tests This Week
Monday - 7th Grade Science & 6th Grade Math
Tuesday - 7th Grade Social Studies
Wednesday - 8th Grade RLA
The 2022 Academic UIL Competition will be held on Saturday, January 29th! Students are encouraged to sign up for multiple events through the link below:
This Week @ JMS
Monday, December 13
- Unit Test - 7th Science & 6th Math
- Social Media Presentation
- WIN - Grade Checks & Homework
- Home Girls Basketball vs. Lampassas
Tuesday, December 14
- Unit Test - 7th Social Studies
- Education Foundation Fundraiser - Dairy Queen 5:00-9:00 PM
- Winter Band Concert 6:30 PM
Wednesday, December 15
- Unit Test - 8th RLA
- STUCO Meeting 7:15 AM
- Lockdown Drill - JPD on campus
- PTO Meeting 5:30 PM
- December Board Meeting 6:30 PM
Thursday, December 16
- Modified Schedule
- Staff vs. Student Basketball Game (8th Grade)
- Lunch in Classrooms
- PBIS Celebration 12:00-3:30 PM
- End of 2nd Nine Week Grading Cycle
Friday, December 17
- Teacher Work Day
Jarrell Education Foundation Night at Dairy Queen
The Dairy Queen in Jarrell is hosting a Jarrell Education Foundation (JEF) night on Tuesday, Dec. 14 from 5-9 p.m. A portion of the proceeds from sales will benefit the Jarrell Education Foundation. We hope to see you there!
About the Jarrell Education Foundation: The primary funding priority for JEF is supporting classroom instruction. JEF is funding grants for Jarrell ISD teachers to implement imaginative and progressive teaching initiatives that promote student achievement. At our inaugural Awards Day, JEF awarded 12 grants, totaling $19,493, to 18 winners.
Library Info & Tech Tips from Mrs. Martone
Thank you so much to the parents and students who purchased books and other items from our Scholastic Book Fair! We appreciate your support for our school and the library program!
The JMS Library December Virtual Makerspace is live! Check out all of the fun activities you can do online and at home over the break by clicking here! We wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
JMS Counselor's Corner
Technology is one of the many languages today’s kids and adolescents are fluent in! However, while our students are fluent in technology, they might not be as fluent in creating calmer responses, lowering their anxieties, and promoting their overall wellbeing.
Below are a collection of apps that focus on teaching your students how to create calm responses, lower anxieties, and promote their wellbeing, in and outside of the classroom:
1. Stop, Breathe & Think - Stop, Breathe & Think has one mission: to help kids discover their superpowers of quiet, focus, and peaceful sleep! This simple app is great for smaller children, it asks them to check in with how they’re feeling and choose missions to help create their own “force field of calm.”
2. Smiling Mind - A mindfulness app with dedicated programs for youth and classroom, Smiling Mind is a daily meditation and mindfulness app that works with any device. It was developed by psychologists and educators working together and has plenty of different programs to choose from, including stress management, sleep, attention and communication, wellbeing, and mindful eating!
3. Emotionary - Designed to mimic the dictionary, this app guides users through their five primary emotions to find the categories of feeling that fit them best. Their goal is to help your students and kids better describe and understand their emotions by defining them. It comes complete with 100+ emotions and feelings to choose from.
4. Headspace - Headspace is a really popular mindfulness app that’s targeted towards both kids and adults. Included in Headspace are tons of lessons walking you through mindfulness activities and helping you begin daily meditation, get better sleep, manage your stress and anxiety and so much more. (There is a fee associated with this account.)
5. TanZen - A bit of departure from the mindfulness-focused lessons, TanZen is a puzzle app that’s all about helping you relax and unwind. The puzzles are simple and relaxing to piece together and designed to be picked up and played for two minutes or two hours when we need a relaxing distraction.
Christmas Choir Concert
Congratulations to Ms. Jung and her choir students on a superb Christmas concert. It was great to see our high school students show off their immense talents, performing both solos and ensemble pieces. Our auditorium was packed with families and students, supporting our choir program.
Please come out to the auditorium again this Tuesday night for our Winter Band Concert. It is open to the entire Jarrell community and admission is free.
Jarrell Middle School - Teaching and Learning
JMS Office Staff
Kelly Blair, Principal
Daren Childs, Assistant Principal
Brad Louder, Dean of Students
Korin Hardt, Counselor
Leasa Arms, Counselor
Mandy Crane, Admin Assistant
Betty Peralta, Registrar
Patricia Esquivel, Attendance Clerk
Tristyn Lopez, Campus Secretary