Interest Geonome PBL
1st grade GTi TPSP Passion Project
How can we use our love of reading to boost reading proficiency for other kids?
- get a highlighter and a pencil
- get an I-touch and open the "Webster's Dictionary" app
1. Highlight all the unknown words
2. Use the app to speak/type your highlighted words
3. Use your pencil to write in the words you now understand on your entry document
Click HERE for an electronic copy of the Entry Document
Generate Knows and Need 2 Knows
- In the U.S., more than 40 percent of children ages 5 to 8 say they are high-frequency readers, but, by ages 9 to 11, that number drops to 29 percent.
- Considering the average child can learn up to 12,000 vocabulary words per year just by reading, such a drop-off can be costly.
- By middle school, two-thirds of eighth-graders do not read at grade level.
- And only one-third of all students entering high school are proficient in reading.
- What’s more, boys lag behind girls in reading proficiency in all 50 states—in some states by as many as 10 percentage points.
Publishing Your Haiku Deck
use this information for the save and share option
title: Reading Deficiency- your first name ONLY