VAMS Panther Press Newsletter
September 6, 2019
- Friday, September 6 - Back to School Dance - 6th grade dance 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM and 7th/8th grade dance 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
- Tuesday, September 10 - Fundraiser Kickoff *We will be on an alternate schedule this day. See the schedule below.
- Thursday, September 10 - VAISD Substitute Orientation at 9:00 AM at the Admin Building (for those who did not attend the first orientation)
- Thursday, September 12 - Progress Reports Go Home
- Thursday, September 12 - First Pep Rally @ 3:00 PM - Parents and community members are welcome to attend! *We will be on a Pep Rally Schedule this day. See the schedule below.
- Monday, September 16 - VAISD Board Meeting at 7:00 PM at Admin Building
- Wednesday, September 18 - Community Pep Rally at Panther Stadium at 7:00 PM
- Friday, September 20 - Varsity Homecoming Football Game at 7:30 PM at Panther Stadium (see homecoming information below)
- Monday, September 23 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Development Day
- Tuesday, September 24 - Fundraisers Due
- Wednesday, September 25 - Picture Day
- Thursday, September 26 - Pep Rally at 3:00 PM - Parents and community members are welcome to attend! *We will be on a Pep Rally Schedule this day.
- Friday, September 27 - First UIL Eligibility Check
- Saturday, October 5 - VAISD Fall Festival 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM in the high school parking lot
Other Important Dates:
- Pep Rally Dates - Sept. 12, Sept. 26, Oct. 10, Oct. 31 (Pep Rallies begin @ 3:00 PM)
- Student Dance Dates - Sept. 6, Dec. 13, Feb. 7, May 15 - (6th grade dance 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM and 7th/8th grade dance 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM)
- 8th Grade Dance - Friday, May 8 from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Dress Code for Student Dances
The first student dance is Friday, September 6th! The 6th grade dance is 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. and the 7th & 8th grade dance is 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Students must follow the school dress code for the dance. The only exception is that girls may wear a dress that has a three finger width strap. If a dress has spaghetti straps or is strapless, a sweater or cover-up must be worn at all times. Only VAMS students are allowed to attend student dances.
August 26-29 - UIL Signups
Week of September 3 & 9 - UIL Tryouts
Week of September 16 - UIL Teams Formed & Practices Begin (This gives us 10 weeks to practice for the competition.)
UIL Competition Hosted at VAMS - Tuesday, December 10
There are several opportunities for students to get involved in UIL. Below is a list of teams students can tryout for...
Maps, Graphs, & Charts
Science: 7th - 8th grades
VAISD Substitute Orientation 9/10/19 at 9:00 AM
Bell Schedule for 9/10/19
Pep Rally Bell Schedule for 9/12/19
Community Service Hour Log
Promoting community service is a goal of VAMS! In order to promote and foster serving our community and others, students can earn a community service award at the end of the year awards assemblies to recognize students who give their time, talents, and hearts.
Find opportunities throughout the school year for your child to work on their community service hours. Make sure your child is documenting their community service time on their hour log.
VAMS Community Service Hour Logs are due on Friday, May 1st.
Click on the link below "VAMS Community Service FAQ Flyer" for more information.
Communication throughout the year
Middle School Website: Click HERE to access the VAMS webpage.
Social Media: Want to see what goes on at VAMS during the week? Want to see pictures of students doing awesome things? Want to see what learning looks like on our campus? Be sure to like us on Facebook, Van Alstyne Middle School, and follow us on Twitter at @vamiddleschool
Digital Newsletter: We email parents a digital campus newsletter every Friday. If you are not currently signed up to receive our weekly newsletter, click HERE.
Grade-level Remind Accounts: Please sign up for the appropriate Remind accounts below to help keep you informed. We also recommend having your child sign up as well. Teachers use Remind to communicate important dates and information.
Football - Thursday, September 12 @ 4:30 at home vs. Anna
Cross Country - Saturday, September 7 - S & S Ram Run “Fast 5K and Fury 3200” in Sadler, Texas
NEW ATHLETIC REMIND CODES
A Note From Our Nurse....
Our clinics must have a Medication Parent Consent Form on file for students requiring medication administered during school hours. This form must be signed by parent/legal guardian. Medication must be kept in the ORIGINAL bottle. (see links below)
Children who have the following symptoms should stay home and not come to school until these symptoms have been gone for at least 24 hours without the help of medication.
- Fever (100 degrees or higher)
- Sore Throat (with fever or swollen neck)
- Persistent Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Rash (with fever and itching)
- Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye (your child can attend school 24 hours after starting medical treatment)
A child with a typical cold, but no fever or green drainage, may come to school.
If a student becomes ill during the school day, he or she must receive permission from the teacher before reporting to the school nurse. If the nurse determines that the child should go home, the nurse will contact the parent.
Volunteer Approval Form
Click the button below to access the Volunteer Approval Form. We appreciate our volunteers!
This is the link to view your child's grades and attendance. Passwords were sent home with progress reports. If you need any help with this process, you may send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school office.