Grade 8 History
Canada 1890-1914: A Changing Society
1) Minds On: students will look at the Thomas Moore photo below, turn and talk to a partner about what they see, then generate questions as a class
Based on what you see in this photo, what do you want to know about the experiences, challenges and perspectives of groups of Canadians between 1890 and 1914?
2) Students visit the site the photo came from*
- work in partners to navigate and evaluate site (is this a valid source of information? Why or why not? How do you know?)
* this photo may be found on a number of websites, but I want the students to evaluate this particular site
3) Co-construct criteria for evaluating a website
What counts when we are deciding whether a website is a valid source of information?
Students compare criteria to checklist provided in Think Literacy (p.20) "Evaluating Information Sources". Add to or change criteria as necessary.