The Piano and Voice Studio of Carl Lauderman
APRIL 2016 NEWSLETTER
The studio is going to get rather busy as students begin preparing for the Spring Concert in June. Students have been working hard on their songs and I am proud to have so many eager participants! Information will be announced soon about summer classes as well as the schedule for the 2016-2017 School Year starting in the fall. As always, thank you so much for being part of the studio. I greatly appreciate all the wonderful support from students as well as the families!
---Carl Lauderman, Piano and Voice Instructor
BENEFITS OF PIANO AND VOICE LESSONS
First and foremost, the students can do amazing things!
When it comes to games, accepting that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose
Reinforcing the learning of musical concepts through games
Vocalizing properly and learning good singing habits appropriate for the young voice
Learning a symbolic language and translating it to an instrument with 88 keys
Listening, Memorizing, Practicing, Performing, Sight-reading, Identifying, Composing, Progressing
Creating and writing a song involves making choices and serves as an outlet of self expression
SAVE THE DATE: SPRING RECITAL JUNE 4th & 5th
We have our Annual Spring Concert - so I wanted to share it with you so you could add it to your busy end of the school year calendar.
This year, there will be one or two shows depending on the number of students participating:
Saturday June 4th at 5pm
Steinway Piano Gallery
4104 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, FL 33146
Sunday June 5th at 4pm
Black Box Theatre at M.I.A. Dance Factory
2018 N.E. 155 St, North Miami Beach, FL 33162
Recital Fee is $30 per participating student
(The fee will be added to May's tuition once participation in the recital is confirmed)
Admission is free for families and guests
*Please note that students will be assigned a day and a time based on age, level, and availability.
The deadline to RSVP is Thursday May 5th to be included in the concert
BENEFITS OF PERFORMING IN THE SPRING RECITAL
There are opportunities for students to perform throughout the school year. It's a great way for students to showcase the music they have been working on. Here are helpful pointers for students performing for the spring concert or considering participation in future events.
1. Recitals provide a tangible goal to work towards.
2. Recitals provide an opportunity to feel successful.
3. Recitals provide an opportunity for you to show your child that you value their involvement in music.
4. Recitals provide a chance for your children (and you!) to reflect upon where they’ve “come from” when watching beginning students.
5. Recitals provide a chance for your children (and you!) to see “where they’ll go” when watching more advanced students.
6. Recitals provide a chance for your extended family to be involved in your child’s piano education.
7. Recitals provide a chance for your child to experience nervousness… and to realize that those feelings are okay.
8. Recitals give you the opportunity to provide genuine and heart-felt praise.
9. Recitals provide a chance for your child to practice public speaking and to gain confidence in front of a group; two skills that will serve your child well in many other areas of his or her life.
10. Recitals provide an opportunity for your child to get to know his or her peers who are also taking lessons.
11. Recitals give your children the chance to hear live music.
12. Recitals provide an opportunity for you to sit back and marvel at the pride-inducing sight of your own child making beautiful music!
I decided to include this visual once again especially for recital season.
MTNA Conference in San Antonio April 1st-6th
Exhibit hall welcoming more than 2,000 music teacher professionals from around the world.
All day sessions for five days covering a range of music education topics.
Time for Three
Amazing string group performing in the opening concert of the conference.
National competition featuring elementary, middle school, high school, and college students.
Carmen Cuenca, President of the Miami Music Teacher Association
Seven time grammy winning classical pianist gives closing recital of the conference
Parent Referral Incentive Program
Thank you for your wonderful referrals! Referring students is easy
1. Refer a student
2. Student then registers and begins taking classes
3. Refer 1 student, and get a $50 gift card from Amazon!
4. Refer 2 students at the same time and get a $75 gift card from Amazon!
5. Refer 3 or more students at the same time and get a $100 gift card from Amazon!
Referral incentives are awarded in the form of an online gift card. To receive the gift card, new student must take classes for at least one month and continue for a second month of classes.
May tuition is due the first week of May (1st day until the 10th of each month).
Please note that monthly tuition is based on enrollment and reservation of the class space, not the number of classes. Therefore, tuition remains the same amount each month whether the student attends class or not. Most months include 4 classes. Months with only 3 classes are balanced with months of 5 classes.
Make-up lessons are available when a student misses a class, although note that missed lessons are not guaranteed to be made up. There is a possibility that make-up lessons cannot be scheduled. Please note that there are no refunds or credits for missed classes or for make-up lessons that could not be scheduled.
The instructor, however, will do his best to schedule make-up lessons on a later date depending on what is available. Lessons are either scheduled during the time slot when another student misses their class or missed time is added to regular classes over a period of 2-3 weeks.
Students who are ill are advised not to come to lessons. Please note that not all missed lessons can be made up. The instructor will do his best to schedule a make-up class or add missed time gradually to regular lessons.
Please cancel at least one week in advance or at least one day before your lesson, or at least 2 hours before your lesson due to illness or other events
IMPORTANT DATES AND CLOSURES
May 30th: Memorial Day, No Classes
June 4th: Last Day of Classes for the 2015-2016 School Year
June 4th: Spring Concert at Steinway Gallery of Coral Gables
June 5th: Spring Concert at M.I.A. Dance Factory in North Miami Beach
June, July, and August: Summer Session Classes
- Classes held from May 31 through June 4th will be included for the month of May
- Tuition will be charged or due the week of May 2nd through May 7th
- Classes from April 1st through April 6th (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) will instead be held Tuesday May 31st through Saturday June 3rd.
- The Monday class will be rescheduled at a future date or select regular classes extended longer due to Memorial Day.
Carl Lauderman, M.M., Piano and Voice Instructor
Lourdes Maria, Studio Assistant
Yahasmany Hernandez, Special Events Coordinator
- Carl can be reached by phone, text, or email.
- On occasion, the Studio Assistant Lourdes may answer phone calls while Carl is teaching or occupied with other events.