By Andres Beteta
- Gilded- Covered thinly in gold.
- This applies to the name Gilded age because it was a time of great increases in people gaining huge amounts if wealth, and boosts in technological advances.
Grant and the "Bloody Shirt" Campaign
During his presidential campaign, Grant kept reminding voters what the South and the Democratic Party did to the nation. This caused loss in popularity for the Democratic Party.
Boss Tweed stole over $200 million from New York through bribes and buy backs. Thomas Nast made political cartoons to expose Tweed and his illegal activities.
Compromise of 1877
- Settled the 1876 election.
- Ended Reconstruction in the South.
- Withdraw federal soldiers from their remaining positions in the South.
- Enact federal legislation that would spur industrialization in the South.
- Appoint Democrats to patronage positions in the South.
- Appoint a Democrat to the president’s cabinet.