From the desk of Christopher J. Blake
Message for the Week
Now that we are past the mid-year point and we've taken Mock Assessments and MOY Assessments, it is time to step back and assess where our students stand. Remember...we must look at our low performing, average performing and above average performing students. Every child counts! So what should we monitor?
Monitoring Student Academic Progress
The end of the third nine weeks will be here before we know it. How many of your students had failing grades the first and second nine weeks grading period? How many of them failed a content area both nine weeks periods and how many of your students are currently failing a content area? Are these students receiving interventions and other opportunities to increase their grades before report cards are distributed in March?
Other Areas to Monitor
- Reading level of your students—How much progress have you seen with your students? How many students have increased their reading level?
- STAAR preparation—How have the STAAR mock results been used to plan effective Tier 1 instruction, group students for small group instruction and intervention, and identify specific TEKS that need to be retaught in a different way to students?
- TELPAS—How are you preparing your ELL students for the TELPAS?
- Student Attendance—How are you monitoring and addressing students with attendance issues?
- Lunch and Learn will be Monday, February 22 from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM.
- All Carroll staff will meet in the cafeteria at 4 PM on Monday, February 22 to meet our new Superintendent, Mr. Davis. Our Morale Booster for February will follow.
- Instructional Rounds will be held on campus Tuesday, February 23. Our problem of practice will continue to focus on questioning and wait time.
- The New Teacher Academy (Full day) will be Tuesday, February 23.
- The Black History Program will be Thursday, February 25 from 6 PM to 7:30 PM.
- If you have students who attend Saturday School, please encourage them to attend each Saturday.
- As a reminder, college shirts and dress slacks are allowed every Monday. Additionally, college shirts may be worn with jeans on Fridays. Carroll shirts and educational shirts are allowed on Fridays, as well.