This Week in First Grade
Week of September 8-12, 2014
This week in first grade, we began learning some strategies to gain independence in our learning. We talked about some things we can do when we get stuck on a word during our reading. We also learned some of the same strategies when we need to figure out how to write a word.
Starting next week, we will be celebrating one student each week as our Star of the Week. When a student is the Star of the Week, they will be able to share a bit about themselves with their friends throughout the week. Then, on Friday, they can bring in an item from home to share.
In Math, we are continuing to work on our number sense. We are practicing one-to-one counting, number identification, and comparing numbers. In Social Studies, we are building our community and began coming up with our classroom rules together.
Next week, we will be participating in International Dot Day on Monday with Alton Darby Elementary. We will be creating a giant, human dot. All grade levels at both schools will be wearing different colored shirts. All first graders, should wear yellow shirts on Monday.
I hope that you are able to join us for Curriculum Night on Tuesday at 6:00pm in our classroom to learn about life as a Carr's Kiddo in Room 207. Please take a couple of minutes to complete the Curriculum Night survey that I sent you or that can be found on our web site.
Finally, we will soon be using computers and iPads on a regular basis. Since sound being played on multiple devices simultaneously can cause quite a noise problem, I am asking that each student bring in a pair of headphones or earbuds for his/her own use. These can be purchased at the Dollar Tree for just $1.00, and can be easily and cheaply replaced if broken. Please send in a pair for your child in a baggie labeled with their name as soon as possible.
Remember to check our website for all your informational needs. I am using a variety of methods to get information out to you, so please let me know if I've missed anything or if there is anything you would like to know more about but can't find the answers to.
A Few Reminders
This and That...
• You can receive my text alerts by texting @carrsk to (614) 678-8569
• If you haven't already completed the Parent Communication Survey, please take a moment to do that here: http://tinyurl.com/nkruy9s
• Our Specials schedule is posted every week on the front page of our class website as well as within the class calendar. Please check for Gym days as the children must be wearing appropriate footwear to participate.
• Please help your child practice his/her lunch number. This is used not only for purchasing lunch and milk, but will also be their computer login number.
• We also ask that if your child will be wearing shoes with laces that you help them learn to tie their shoes themselves. I found this great video that shows an incredibly simple way to learn: http://tinyurl.com/pgxbb47
• Bike Riders: Only 4th and 5th Graders may ride their bikes to school AND a bike registration/permission form must be completed and signed by the parent and student in order to do so. Forms are available in the office.
• If you would like to receive the PTO eNews, send your email address to email@example.com to be added to the eNewsletter list.
Mark Your Calendars
Spirit Wear: Show your Darby Creek school spirit. September 14th is the last day to place an order. See our class website for the link and information.
Warrior Dash T-Shirts: Order your official Warrior Dash T-Shirts by September 19th. Visit the Warrior Dash website for more information. http://www.addcbackinbackwarriordash.com/
International Dot Day: September 15th, please wear a YELLOW shirt as we will be creating a giant human dot along with Alton Darby Elementary.
First Grade Curriculum Night: Join us for Curriculum Night on Tuesday, September 16th at 6:00-7:00.
AD/DC Warrior Dash: October 4th
Walk-a-Thon: October 15th is our annual Walk-A-Thon!
*Please see the calendar on our web site for a complete listing of upcoming school events.*
Upcoming Specials Schedule:
Monday, 9/15 : Art
Tuesday, 9/16: Gym*
Wednesday, 9/17: Music
Thursday, 9/18: Art
Friday, 9/19: Gym*
*Please remember to wear or bring tennis shoes on Gym days or your child cannot participate.