Board Meeting Executive Summary
About the Meeting
The regular meeting of the School Board was held on Monday, September 13, 2021 in the School Board Room of the Walker-Grant Center, 210 Ferdinand Street, Fredericksburg, VA.
Pledge of Allegiance
Deputy Rogers, Fredericksburg Sheriffs Department, led in the Pledge of Allegiance honoring and remembering those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
Jacob Wigglesworth was recognized for participating in the Sorensen Institute's High School Leaders Program.
The Word of the Month - Reflective - was presented via video by students at JMHS.
Mr. Rusty Dodd, Chairman of the Rappahannock Rotary Education Foundation, presented a $5,000 check to James Monroe High School recognizing three teachers who had submitted and received grants, Ms. Willigin, Ms. Cunningham, and Ms. Kelly.
Dr. Richard Garnett, former Superintendent provided remarks about the 150th FCPS Brochure that was recently distributed. He also provided a historical perspective about the school division, the conception of Fredericksburg City Public Schools, and when the school division integrated.
Hearing of Citizens
Andy Bertolet spoke during the Hearing of Citizens portion. He shared remarks regarding the mask mandate stating that families should be allowed to make their own decision whether to have their child(ren) wear a mask.
The minutes of the August 2, 2021 Regular School Board meeting were approved. The minutes may be viewed at the link below.
The Board voted to approve the following:
- Personnel Actions: Personnel Packet 091321- Minutes.xlsx.pdf (boarddocs.com)
- Policy BDD Electronic Participation in Meetings From Remote Locations: Policy-BDD.pdf (boarddocs.com)
- The appointment of Don Upperco, Director of Operations, to the Recreation Commission
The Board received updates on the following:
- Report on Opening of Schools: PowerPoint Presentation (boarddocs.com)
- Tiered Instruction - Elementary: PowerPoint Presentation (boarddocs.com)
- Fall SOL Testing: Fall SOL Testing Update (boarddocs.com)
- Character Education Focus: PowerPoint Presentation (boarddocs.com)
- Professional Development Plan 2021 - 2022: PowerPoint Presentation (boarddocs.com)
- Monthly Financial Report: Fredericksburg City Public Schools Monthly Financial Update (boarddocs.com)
- Middle School Update
- Revisions to policies AD - Educational Philosophy and GAA - Staff Time Schedules: Policy Revisions - 1st Read Sept. 2021.pdf (boarddocs.com)
- A date was discussed for a Special School Board meeting. The meeting was scheduled for Monday, September 27, 2021 8:15 a.m.
Don Upperco was introduced as the new Director of Operations.
Upcoming VSBA Webinars:
- VSBA Legislative Advocacy Conference - September 23, 2021
- VSBA Annual Convention - November 17 - 19, 2021
Next Meeting Dates
The following meetings will be held at the Walker-Grant Center.
- Special School Board Meeting: September 27, 2021 - 8:15 a.m.
- Regular School Board Meeting: October 4, 2021- 6:30 Closed Session/7:30 Open Session