Lakeview Family Newsletter ~ October 19
Prefer to read this in a different language? Scroll to the bottom and click "translate".
Virtual School ~ Real Learning
The bottom line is this: South Milwaukee added 76 new COVID-19 cases in the week between October 9th and 16th. We need to work together as a community in order to have our schools open. Wear a mask, wash your hands, watch your distance.
In the meantime, our teachers will continue their instruction virtually, according to the information in this newsletter.
Daily Schedule & Zoom Links
• To provide consistency as we flow between hybrid and virtual formats in the future, all Fridays will now be "asynchronous" days, meaning that teachers will post work on SeeSaw/Google Classroom for Fridays that students must complete, but are to complete at their own pace. This is a change from past practice, and it starts this Friday, October 23rd.
• With a consistent weekly schedule, students and families will have a schedule that they can depend on when pivoting between models, we can ensure screen time is more manageable, time can be dedicated to intentional collaborative planning, and we can provide opportunities for students to connect with teachers, paraprofessionals, and specialists via office hours in order to meet the needs of our students during this challenging time.
• In the previous version of virtual learning, students were on and off their Zoom links throughout the day. This time, we will keep students online more consistently without the large "gaps" that existed previously. However, we will balance high-quality instruction with screen breaks. Your child's teacher will provide more details about the daily schedule.
• Zoom links cannot be posted on our website anymore. They are found either in the teacher's SeeSaw or Google Classroom (since these are both password-protected places). The office is no longer able to help you with this, so please connect with your child's teacher if you need help.
• South Milwaukee will remain virtual until at least October 30. Please stay tuned for updates.
Materials in Classrooms
Depending on the community health data, we will decide if another large materials pickup for all students is necessary or not. Please stay tuned.
Break Times for Each Grade
4K - Ms. Maes will inform families
5K break times
1st grade break times
2nd grade break times
3rd grade break times
4th grade break times
5th grade break times
Attendance is Mandatory - including during Virtual Learning
If your child is ill, you may call them in sick as in the past. Families can only excuse 10 days per school year. If your child has a longer-term illness, he/she should have a note from the doctor or health department excusing them from school. If your child does not show up and stay online with the teacher, he/she will be considered "absent". Lakeview will be sending letters to families whose students have been excessively absent or truant.
SM Rec Dept Virtual Day Camp
Lakeview PTO Spirit Wear
Meal info for this week
Student Meals for the week of October 19th will be available as follows:
Monday 11:30am - 1:00pm Pickup at High School Door 29 (Monday Lunch)
Monday 4:00pm - 5:00pm Pickup at High School Door 29 (Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday meals)
Thursday 4:00pm - 5:00pm Pickup at High School Door 29 (Friday and Monday meals)
More information will be provided next week with regards to meals during the week of October 26th.