TE KURA O HUATOKI. WEEK 4 TERM 3 2019
SCHOOL GOAL: TO ACHIEVE!
WHY: Coming to school is more than eating your lunch, we want you to achieve in all you do!
Achieving success for your personal goals is very rewarding!
Achieving goals makes you a more successful and well rounded person
SIGNS OF SUCCESS:
* You can keep on task in class – group and independently. You finish set tasks
You can show progress and are achieving your personal goals
Your work is quality – every piece you do is the BEST you can do!
You enjoy learning and want to achieve more!
KIA ORA WHANAU, FROM MR O
It was awesome to see the interest by our junior kids in the different animals at Brooklands Zoo as part of their 'Fur, feathers and scales' inquiry. And would you believe, there really are elephants there!
This week we have had a visitor to our school, Karyn from evaluation Associates. Karyn is helping out the staff with some professional development in our writing programmes. If your child(ren) come home talking about having to give answers to teachers about their attitude to writing, this is all part of the focus. It is great to get feedback that we already do an amazing job with teaching kids the skills to write.
We also had some visiting teachers to the senior school from Spotswood Primary on Wednesday who were here to see how we teach reading in Yr 5-6. A big thanks to the senior team for sharing their class lessons and reading strategies.
A big thanks to everyone who is selling the Home and School raffle tickets! These seem to be selling like hotcakes! Thanks for supporting the school with this fundraiser, there certainly some amazing prizes!
Yesterday you would have received the 'Photo-life' envelope. A reminder that our school photos day is Monday September 2nd. If you want to purchase photos, then the info is in the envelope.
Next week we have a very busy week with learning conferences and the annual cross country. You would have received a note home yesterday about the cross country. This is a whanau event - if any parents/caregivers want to run with their child, they are more than welcome too (they will even get a bonus point for their child's whanau).
Our focus for cross country is 'perseverance' - giving their best. We don't mind how you do the cross country course, as long as you give it your best! Ice blocks for everyone who finishes!
Next week is also Mrs J-Low's last week at Vogeltown next week. If you have time, please come in and say goodbye - we really are going to miss J-Low after 24 years at Vogeltown!
ENROLMENTS FOR 2020
We are beginning to start planning for class placements for 2020 and we need to know all of our enrolments, especially families in zone, before we can offer any 'out of zone' placements.
Goodbye to MRS J-LOW
It is with sadness that the Vogeltown BOT accept the resignation of Mrs Johnston-Low (Chris/Mrs J-Low) from our office.
Thanks Chris for everything you have done for the school over the last 24 years. Your humour, amazing knowledge and 'common sense' approach to everything has been amazing! We will miss the laughs, the tidy handwriting, the 100% positive attitude and your banter!
We wish Chris all the best! We know she will be stopping in for a coffee whenever she can and we will catch up often!
Mrs J-Low put in her resignation letter:
"My twenty four years at this school has been an amazing ride and I will be leaving with many happy memories, and an encyclopaedia of weird, wonderful and hilarious stories to recount."
Mrs J-Low's last day is Friday 23 August. The staff will be having a farewell for Chris. I am certain this will be a great night!
VOGELTOWN SCHOOL RULES!
Centre City have invited our school to be part of a competition they are running during August. The posters below outline how to support our school. We will take your receipts in for you if you drop them off to Mr G at the Senior School. Go Vogeltown!
There is a box for receipts on both the Junior and Senior side of the school.
REPORTING TO WHANAU - LEARNING CONFERENCES
NOTE: Room 4 (Miss King) and Rm 13 (Mr Stirling) will have their learning conferences in term 4. We will let you know the day and time in the last 2 weeks of this term.
On each of these days, to fit in all learning conferences, we will be closing the school at 2pm on Wednesday 21 and Thursday 22 August. Please make alternative arrangements for your child on these days.
To book in for a learning conference, please use this website and these codes for the different days:
- Go to parentinterviews.co.nz, enter the event code and click Go.
- Enter your name, email address and the names of the students you wish to make bookings for.
- Select the teachers you'd like to book by ticking the checkbox beside their name, and then click the Book Interviews button at the bottom of the page.
- Using the timetable, click the Book button beside the time slot you'd like to book for the teacher. You'll be asked to confirm your booking.
- Continue until you've booked all teachers.
The codes for each day are:
* Wednesday 21 August (2pm - 7.30pm) 9WQMK9NG
* Thursday 22 August (2pm - 5.30pm) Y6FUNL2L
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR
In week 5 we will have the Scholastics book fair here at Vogeltown. These nights coincide nicely with our Learning Conference nights, so if you are around during the day and night waiting for a conference, come in to the library and have a look. The dates and times are:
Wednesday 21 August 9am - 6pm
Thursday 22 August 1pm - 6 pm
Friday 8.30am - 11.00am
Term 4 Summer Sports
Registrations for the following sports are now available:
- Summer Hockey (Yr 3-6): Played on a Saturday morning at the Hobson St Turf. Click here to see all the details and print a form. Registration forms are also available from the Senior office.
- Superstar Cricket (Yr 0-4): Played on a Friday evening at various grounds from 5.30pm. Click here for all the details and to print a form. Registration forms are also available from the Junior or Senior office.
- futureFERNS Netball (Yr 0-2): Played on a Wednesday afternoon from 3.30pm at the TSB Stadium. Please click here to find out all the details and to print your own form. Registration forms are also available at the Junior office.
Please get your forms into the office with payment as soon as possible. There are occasions when team numbers are restricted so those who have returned their forms and paid (or organised a payment plan with the office) will get preference. If you have unpaid sports fees from previous terms this will also affect your registration for sports teams going forward.
Keep an eye out over the next few weeks for registration info for the following Term 4 sports:
- Summer Soccer (Yr 0-6): Played Tuesday evening at Merrilands Domain from 6pm.
- Touch Rugby (Yr 0-6): Played on a Monday afternoon at Devon Intermediate from 3.30pm.
Other options for sports outside of school:
Hockey (Yr0-2): Any players aged 4-6 yrs who are keen to try Hockey can join the Taranaki Hockey Funsticks programme by clicking here and registering directly with Taranaki Hockey.
SuperBash Cricket (Yr5-6): Any year 5/6 children keen to play cricket will need to join with a club. Details on how to register will be available in the coming weeks.
Touch Rugby: Touch Taranaki has changed the selection process for U12 and U14 rep teams. These grades will now go to an open trial process on the 6th and 20th October. To assist, City Touch have started a 5 week City Touch Junior League in Term 3. This will also be part of the selection process for our City Touch Inter module teams, a prelude to the Taranaki Touch trials and will also help kids transition from their winter sports into Touch.
- Register online here as individuals (Players will be drafted into teams)
- 5x weeks of skills, drills and competitive games
- When: 5x Mondays, 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 September 2019. 5.30 - 7.30pm
- Where: Taranaki Hockey Turf, Hobson St, New Plymouth
- Cost: $30 pp City Touch T-shirts: $20 (optional)
VOGELTOWN ANNUAL CROSS COUNTRY 2019
VOGELTOWN SCHOOL CALENDAR 2019
TERM CALENDAR – Put all these dates in your diary or your phone!
Remember to check the school calendar on our website. We will put all updates on facebook &
the website. Link to school calendar: http://www.vogeltown.school.nz/calendar/
19 - 23 August - Book Fair in the Library
21 August - Learning Conferences (night 1) 2pm - 7.30pm
21 August - VS Cross Country
22 August - Learning Conferences (night 2) 2pm - 5.30pm
23 August - Home and School raffle books due back
29 August - Devon Intermediate Parent evening
29 August - Home and School pie orders out
30 August - Black and Yellow dress up day (Daffodil day)
2 September - School Photos!
5 September - Senior syndicate Build a Business evening
6 September - Pizza notice home
9 September - Home and School raffle drawn
13 September - Pies orders due back in
19 September - School Disco night. (Juniors 5.30 - 6.15pm, Middles and Seniors 6.30 - 7.30pm
23 - 25 September - Talent Quest Heats
26 September - Talent Quest Final
HOME AND SCHOOL
The Home & School Whanau are super excited to announce our major fundraiser for the year – 2019 Raffle!
This week your child brought home a booklet of raffle tickets to sell, each family was issued with one book of 10 tickets to sell, and at only $2 a ticket, we have had no trouble selling these!
The amazing prizes include:
* Two, three day WOMAD passes PLUS a picnic backpack,
* A parents prize of a night at King & Queens Suites PLUS restaurant vouchers,
* Scooters, board games, sports gear – there are so many prizes to win!!!!!
Once your family has sold their tickets, more books are available but all tickets MUST be returned to school by 23 August. It is a quick turn around and thats because theya re selling so quickly!!
Special thanks to Jess Parker for arranging these tickets and to both Jess Parker and Carla Adlam for their super work in securing us some pretty amazing prizes. All funds raised will go back to our tamariki at Vogeltown.
In other Home & School news……..
SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY – look out for the Home and School Whanau handing out ice blocks to runners
SCHOOL DISCO – Time for our tamariki to get their dancing shoes on – please note that we are not selling glow items this year, a gold coin donation would be appreciated
ANDERSON PIES – order forms will be circulated for the ever popular Anderson Pies, great time to stock up the freezer for these chilly winter evenings. Orders need to be in 13 September with delivery to school planned for 26 September.
HELLS PIZZA will be on offer for lunch on 13 September – another fundraiser organised by Jennie Hamilton – thanks Jennie!
LEGO – if you have any lego needing a new home, our teachers would certainly appreciate any donations towards the school Lego Club, a great way to keep our tamariki busy during lunch breaks
Our next hui is on 3rd September, 7pm at the Senior School Staffroom, we would love to see you there!
Home & School Whanau
MR O'S FRIENDLY REMINDERS
2) Learning Conferences are on next Wednesday and Thursday. To make as much as time as we can for these, we will be closing the school on both these days at 2pm. Please make sure you have alternative arrangements for pick up on these days.
3) LOST: If anyone has seen a pair of white moccasin shoes with pink flowers, could you please contact Mrs Sleep or Mrs Irving - lost from Rm 7. Thanks.
Remember if you have any issues you wish to discuss, please come in and see me or contact me on email@example.com
On behalf of the Vogeltown team,
Ka kite ano
Jeremy Ogle - Principal