LVHS Staff Newsletter
Excellence in Everything.
Monday, December 15, 2014
EVERY child deserves a champion – an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be. Rita Pierso
The latest and greatest on our new superintendent!
What I do know is that he will be holding a District Howdy at 8:30 am on the day we get back from break, January 5. This will be in the PAC. Please plan to be there!
He also mentioned to me that he would like to be in classrooms when he gets here in January. So, just be aware that he might drop by to see what great things you are doing in your classroom.
Work Hours on Friday!
11:15 - Student lunch
12:30 - Buses pick up
12:30 - Luncheon in MAC
2:00 - Hourly employees can leave (you will still get a full day credit)
I think that about sums it up!
DO NOT GIVE YOUR SEMESTER EXAM AT A TIME OTHER THAN WHAT IS SCHEDULED. We divide it up so that students do not have more than two finals per day. If you have a situation that requires a change to this, please come see me!
Semester Exam Schedule:
Please be sure to be prepared to give a semester test in the following period classes on the following dates:
Tuesday, December 16: Periods 1 and 2
Wednesday, December 17: Periods 7 and 8
Thursday, December 18: Periods 3 and 4
Friday, December 19: Periods 5 and 6 (early release at 11:10 that day)
Lunch will be served from 11:15-11:45 am and then bus riders will sit in the MAC until buses come at 12:30.
End of the Nine Weeks...
1. Grades - these are due by 4:00 pm on Monday, January 5 (this is a teacher workday - no training). Tyra will print proof sheets Tuesday morning, January 6. You will need to review, correct, sign and return the proof sheets TO TYRA or CINDY (see note below) by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, January 6. We will print report cards Wednesday and mail them out Friday.
Remember - you may not put down a failing grade for a student if you have not contacted their parents ahead of time regarding the potential failure.
Remember - If you have any new students, YOU need to enter their transfer grades from their former school. NO BLANKS!
2. Nine Weeks Feedback Forms - After receiving some feedback from you all, I am making a few changes. I will email out the new and improved form ASAP (I have learned that a google doc does not work well for the feedback form). Feedback forms will be due to me or Eric by 4:00 pm on Monday, January 5. We will hold conferences, when needed, the second week of the new semester.
Make sure you are aware of all the new requirements for Canvas next nine weeks. Randy will be working with you to prepare!!!!
You will need to sit down and go through your grades with Cindy or Tyra page by page before you turn in your proof sheets. They will be checking for blanks and semester grades.
Inventory this Week!
Thinking about being out the day before or after a holiday?
Reminder about Extra Credit, per the district grading policy...
• All extra credit is to be academic and relevant to the course.
• The intent of extra credit is for enrichment, not to gain mastery of the TEKS.
• Extra credit may be offered at the discretion of the teacher.
• If extra credit is offered, it must be offered to all students in the class.
• Extra credit will not cause an excessive financial burden on the student or be given for bringing
in basic school supplies.
• Extra credit may not increase a student’s overall grade in a grading period by more than 1 percentage point.
School Report Cards are in!
Here's the summary from Dr. Lofton:
- Exceeded State Average in Reading (+9%), Math (+10%), Science (+16%), and Social Studies (+23%).
- Exceeded State Average at Postsecondary Readiness Standard in Reading (+27%), Math (+7%), Science (+20%), and Social Studies (+28%).
- Exceeded State Average at Advanced Standard in Science (+2%) and Social Studies (+7%).
- Graduation rate rose (+1.6%) and exceeded State Average by (+11%).
- SAT and ACT scores rose (+7.1%).
Areas of Focus
- Reading scores dropped (-8%). Reading scores at Advanced Standard fell below the State Average (-6%).
- Math scores dropped (-6%). Math scores at Advanced Standard fell below the State Average (-6%). Students meeting or exceeding progress in Math fell below State Average (-19%).
- Science scores dropped (2%).
- Number of students taking the SAT/ACT dropped (-16%).
This week, everyone will be getting something special each day! Those of you doing Secret Santa will receive a daily goody from your Santa AND the office staff will be providing something for everyone each day! WooHoo!!
Be sure to drop by the front office to partake in your respective goody:
Monday - Oatmeal cookies and apple cider in Mrs. Slaughter's office on Monday!
Tuesday - A little gift surprise in your box!
Wednesday - Happy hour Sonic drinks (make sure your order is updated)
Thursday - Hot Chocolate 'bar' in the workroom!
Friday - Luncheon at Faculty meeting/Secret Santa reveal (12:30 in the Workroom)
Just a little thank you for being such awesome people and teachers! This is a great place to work because of the people who work here! Thanks for all you do!
It's Secret Santa, Secret Santa time!
Keep Lago Vista High School Beautiful!
Reminder on what to do if the iPad eats a student's homework...
Need an interpreter for a Spanish-speaking parent?
Leaving campus between 7:30 and 4?
On the Calendar...
Don't forget...early release on Friday, December 19, at 11:10. Lunch from 11:10 - 11:45, buses pick up at 12:30.
Need the PC Lab?
Referrals? Just in case you need it!
How to write some one a discipline referral...in six easy steps!!
1) Log onto Eduphoria...if you need help with this step, let us know!
2) Select "Formspace"
3) On the bottom left, select "Submit New Form"
4) Select "General Forms"
5) Select LVHS Discipline Form
6) Fill out the form and hit "Submit"!
Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.