Viral Life Cycle & Reproduction
by Sruthi Boppuri
TEK 4C: Explain the viral life cycle and reproduction
The Lytic Cycle
Steps of the Lytic Cycle
2) Entry Phase: The virus injects its genetic material into the cell
3) Replication Stage: The viral parts are replicated
4) Assembly Stage: The new viruses are being assembled
5) Cellular Lysis (Release Stage): The new viruses are released after the host cell is popped open.
The Lysogenic Cycle
Steps of the Lysogenic Cycle
2) The virus inserts its genetic material into the cell
3) The DNA of the virus integrates into the host's DNA
4) The host cell replicated normally with the viral DNA altering protein synthesis
5) Then, the new cells go through the lytic cycle.
Lysogenic Cycle. Digital image. Prism.gatech.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015. <http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gh19/b1510/8lytic.jpg>.
Lytic Cycle. Digital image. Nicerweb.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015. <http://bio1151.nicerweb.com/Locked/media/ch19/19_05T4LyticCycle_5-L.jpg>.
"2 Life Cycles of a Virus." Two Life Cycles of a Virus. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2015. <http://biology.kenyon.edu/HHMI/Biol113/2virus.htm>.