Thea Bowman Leadership Academy
Elementary News 9/20/2016
Hello Fantastic TBLA Family,
I’d like to begin today’s newsletter with a BIG THANK YOU for all you do as parents, grandparents or guardians to ensure the scholars are in school and on time every day for class. Your incredible efforts have not gone unnoticed. When you bring them here, we do everything possible to meet the academic, social, and emotional needs of your scholar.
I thought this would be a great time to share a few of the strategies all teachers will be employing to address gaps in student learning.
·CLOSE READING – is a reading strategy to ensure scholars gain a full understanding of what they have read by getting them to slow down and engage with text in different ways.
· CLOZE Writing – gives scholars an opportunity to anticipate text, think critically and develop word choice and vocabulary.
· SUCCESS TIME – is a 30 minute math and reading period used to provide intervention for scholars who have demonstrated similar academic deficits.
· COMMON ASSESSMENTS – all scholars will be assessed over the same Indiana Academic Standards to make sure children at a particular grade level are acquiring the same knowledge and skills.
· INSTRUCTIONAL PACING GUIDES – are implemented to ensure scholars at Thea Bowman are exposed to and master academic standards required by the State of Indiana at each grade level before the administration of ISTEP.
We appreciate your confidence in our ability to effectively educate your scholar and trust we will continue to work as partners as we move toward our ultimate goal, which is to prepare all scholars for leadership roles in a global society.
Michael Collins, Principal
The NED show is a character education program that teaches students to Never give up-- Encourage others--Do your best! Click for more activities and information about NED.
Our goal is to ensure the safety of all of our scholars and staff members. Our back parking lot has two holes forming which need to be fixed immediately. Holy Angels church has contracted Gariup construction to complete the work to our parking lot. They will start working in our parking lot today. This will prohibit us from successfully completing our Tyler Street back door pick up. We are asking all families to park and pick up on the Polk Street side of the building. We will notify you when the construction is complete. Again, we do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your flexibility in working with us during this time of the parking lot repair.
- Jello for the cytoplasm
- Jawbreakers for the vacuoles
- Gummy worms for the cytoplast
- A raisin for the mitochondria
- A cherry for the nucleus
Did you miss it?
Don't miss out!
TBLA PTA Meeting
Monday, Sep. 26th, 5pm
975 West 6th Avenue
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Through the Hoosier Family of Readers initiative, students and their families across the state will have unlimited access to reading material on myON, giving families an opportunity to share rich literacy experiences together.
Chuck E. Cheese Night
Looking Good...Feeling Great!
- A solid BLACK belt MUST be worn with pants and shorts.
- Solid black gym shoes may be worn, but the shoe MUST be all black, including the sole, logos, symbols and writing.
- For gym, pants and shorts must be loose fitting - no leggings, jeggings, fitted yoga pants, etc.
- Absolutely no haircuts with design, mohawks, frohawks, twisties or hair color.
Any scholars in violation of the uniform policy will be sent to the Dean's office and a parent will be contacted. Consistent violation of the policy will result in suspension.
We, at the Salvation Army, are getting ready for our holiday Angel Tree Program. Beginning Thursday, September 1, 2016, we will start distributing appointment tickets for our Angel Tree Program. The pick-up location is 4800 Harrison Street, Gary, IN. In order to receive a ticket, the parent or legal guardian must have an Indiana state picture identification with their current address. Tickets will be given out Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and again from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Attached to the ticket will be a list of all the required information you will need to have when you for your appointment. This is a program for children 12 years of age (by December 1st) and younger. We service residents of Gary, Merrillville, Crown Point, Hobart, Lake Station and New Chicago.
Captain Jennifer Clanton
Angel Tree Program