P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week of February 27th to March 3rd
A Few Updates:
- We had a great week celebrating Respect for All week.
- Both of our basketball teams won against P.S. 18Q. Bravo!!
- There is no school February 18th to February 26th. Enjoy the break! School will resume on February 27th.
- All of our school performances will be in-person and no longer have the live stream option.
- 5th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance will be March 16th at 9:00 a.m.
- 4th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance will be March 21st at 9:00 a.m.
- All family members can volunteer to help with lunch and recess at the Main building and the Annex. You can contact Dr. Tobing-Puente if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Please mark your calendars now---March 9th is a 1/2 of day school.
- March parent-teacher conferences will continue to be conducted remotely in accordance with an agreement with UFT for the current school year. Parents/caregivers, however, may always request in-person conferences at a mutually agreeable date and time.
- K-2 Virtual STEM Night will be March 20th! See Google Form sign-up below.
Follow our PTA on Instagram:
PS188Q PTA (@ps188qpta) • Instagram photos and videos
Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions:
Mrs. Perez-Fung- Parent Coordinator email@example.com
Mrs. Nartowicz- Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Figueroa- Principal email@example.com
Follow the PTA on Instagram!
Donation Drive for Turkey and Syria
Our PTA in partnership with our Student Council are supporting Councilmember Lee’s donation drive for Turkey and Syria who have gone through a devastating earthquake. They are in need of the supplies listed on the flyer below.
Families can begin to drop off donation items to Council Member Lee’s office or you can drop it off here to the school if it is easier for you. We will be collecting items this week until Friday and will begin collecting again on February 27th. On the 28th, our PTA has graciously offered to help bring the items to the council members office.
Please help us to help the families of Turkey and Syria. We thank all our families for all your generosity and support.
NYC School Survey
Every year, all parents, teachers, and select school support staff take the NYC School Survey. The survey helps school leaders understand what key members of their school community think about the learning environment at their school. The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn.
Please follow the link below to take the survey. To access the survey families will need their child’s 9-digit OSIS (Student Identification Number) number, which is located on your child’s NYCSA Account.. When asked for the access number, enter a lowercase “f” followed by your child’s nine-digit OSIS number (below is an example) This will bring you to the survey.
Take the 2022-23 NYC School Survey NOW! (Open external link)
OSIS (ID)EXAMPLE: f123456789
Families will need to fill out a survey for each child that is attending school. This is a change from the past years where families received one survey for all the children in a particular school. This is so the NYCDOE can get a better picture of each grade in each school.
Your child will also be bringing home a white envelope with the survey today. Inside the envelope you will find the survey and a green
self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish to fill out a paper copy and mail it.
We are asking families to please take a moment and fill out the survey. This will help us better address any areas of concern. Thank you.
K-2 Virtual STEM Night
We are excited to share that on March 20th, we will be having P.S. 188's second virtual STEM night for students in k through 2nd grade from 5:15 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. via zoom. If you are interested in joining us, please submit this form by Friday, March 3. You will be notified of your child's activities and receive the zoom link by Friday, March 10. Please gather all supplies in advance of this fun evening! We look forward to a great evening of fun-filled activities.
STEM Night K-2
Dear PS 188 Q Families, We are excited to share that on March 20th, we will be having P.S. 188's second virtual STEM night for students in k through 2nd grade from 5:15 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. via zoom. If you are interested in joining us, please submit this form by Friday, March 3.
🎲PTA Sponsored Family Game Day
Hello PS188 families!
On Saturday, March 4th from 2 PM to 5 PM in the main building’s cafeteria we will be having an afternoon of games! A fun way to get together with classmates and make new friends playing chess, checkers, Candyland, Uno, Scarabble, Guess Who and many others!
A signup sheet and more details will be sent out shortly! Stay tuned!
Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz
100 Days of School Activities
Check out some additional 100th Day of School photos!
Culture Day- Respect for All Week
Teachers and Writers Collaborative Poem
Winter’s my season
I have no reason
Oh, but how the soft snow
Makes my heart glow
It is bright white
Which is why I write
I hope this day
Will always stay
A snowflake drops on my palm
How it makes me so calm
Makes me have a good dream
It is time for cacao
To start making its cocoa
It is sad to say this today
But this day can’t stay
PTA Empower Our Children Campaign Needs Your Donations--Check Out Attached Flyer
District 26 Yoga Parent Workshops
- February 20th to February 24th: Mid-Winter Recess NO SCHOOL
- February 27th: Return to school
- February 28th: P.S. 221Q vs P.S. 188Q Basketball game @ 10 a.m. @ P.S. 188Q
- March 1st: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for 2nd grade- Mapping My New York; PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits Kindergarten classes; SLT via Zoom
- March 2nd: PTA Sponsored Long Island Children's Musuem visits PreK classes
- March 3rd: Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m. via Zoom
- March 3rd: Middle School Meeting Session #4 9:00 a.m. Main Building library
- March 4th: PTA Sponsored Board Game Day 2:00-5:00 p.m. in Main Building
- March 6th to March 10th Civics for All Week
- March 6th: PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for Kindergarten- Transportation Then and Now; PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- March 7th: PTA Sponsored NYHS begins for 1st grade- Families Then and Now; Doodle4google entries due
- March 8th: CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m.
- March 9th: 1/2 day for Parent Teacher Conferences; Parent Teacher Conferences 12:20-2:20 p.m. and 4:30-7:00 p.m. via Zoom
- March 10th: Last Day of PreK application; End of marking period 2
- March 14th: Parent DEI @ 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- March 15th: Spring Picture Day; PTA meeting via Zoom @ 7:00 p.m.
- March 16th: 5th grade Dancing Classrooms💃🕺 performance @ 9 a.m.
- March 20th: K-2 Virtual STEM night--more information to follow
- March 21st: 4th grade Dancing Classrooms performance @ 9 a.m. 💃🕺
- March 23rd: Basketball game P.S. 188Q vs P.S. 205 @ P.S. 205; 1-102 Trip to Cunningham Park; Report Cards released via NYCSA
- March 24th: Coffee and Conversations 9:30 a.m.
- March 27th and 28th: PTA Sponsored Planetarium in gymnasium
- March 30th: 1-119 Trip to Cunningham Park;Basketball game P.S. 205 vs P.S. 188 @ P.S. 188Q; P.S. 188Q Blooms Parent-Child workshop 4:00-6:00 p.m. at Main Building
- March 31st: Last day of NYC School Survey
- April 3rd: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- April 4th: Safety Meeting @ 7:30 a.m.
- April 5th: SLT Meeting 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- April 6th to April 16th: Spring Recess
- April 17th: Return to school
- April 18th: Parent DEI Meeting 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- April 19th: NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5; 2-202 to Queens Farm; PTA Meeting via Zoom
- April 20th NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5
- April 21st: No School Eid-al-Fitr
- April 22nd: Earth Day🌎
- April 23rd: PTA Sponsored Clothing Donation in Main playground
- April 24th: PreK B8 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 25th: 2-204 trip to Queens Farm; PreK B9 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 26th: Administrative Assistant's Day; 2-203 trip to Queens Farm
- April 27th: Take Your Child to Work Day