Austin High School e-News
September 1, 2015
AHS @ DHS
Buy a BEAT DECATUR shirt!
BEAT DECATUR shirts are on sale during lunch in the Bear Den for $12. Cash and Checks (made out to AHS and containing a phone number) will be accepted. Shirts may also be ordered and paid for through epay at www.dcs.edu/ahs.
Shirts are orange with black BEAT DECATUR outlined in white. Sizes available are Youth: S, M and L and Adult: S, M, L, XL, XXL, and XXXL.
Football season passes are now on sale in the main office. This pass gets you into all regular season home games at Ogle Stadium. Adult passes are $24 and student passes are $20.
Elective Spotlight: Video Game Design
Class Name: Video Game Design
Teacher: Mrs. Bachuss
When/how often is it offered? Fall and Spring semesters
Any prerequisites? No, but you must have a laptop or be willing to check one out of the library.
Something cool you do in class: We make and play video games - everything we do in class is cool!
The Decatur Austin Robotics Coalition is having a new member meeting Thursday night, September 3rd at 6:30 at the DARC Robotics Shop. The shop is located at the E-Center, 1629 4th Avenue SE. The team needs people interested in videography, photography, marketing, graphic design, art, construction, engineering drawing, programming, and robotic design. Please make plans to attend! If you have questions, please e-mail Mrs. Haddock, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Junior Class Magazine Sales
Please support the Junior Class by purchasing or renewing your magazine subscriptions with us. This money helps pay for the homecoming float, prom, and graduation next year.
Go to this link: www.gaschoolstore.com
AHS Junior class code: 2584183
- Beat Decatur shirts
- Band fees
- FCCLA dues
- HOSA dues
- Choir fees
- or make a donation to your child's Homecoming Float
Click on the button below to go to our ePay site.
Attention Local Businesses
Senior Ads for the Yearbook
We are offering senior advertisements at three different prices:
· Quarter Page Ad ($75) with no more than 2 pictures and 15 words or less
· Half-Page Ad ($100) with no more than 5 pictures and 35 words or less
· Full-Page Ad ($125) with no more than 8 pictures and 50 words or less
See Mrs. Williams for a form.
Freshman Class Shirts
Freshman T-shirt order forms will be available in the cafeteria and outside room E-18 for anyone interested in ordering one. All orders will be due by September 8th. Forms will be turned in to Skinny block teachers or Mrs. Faulk.
Coach White's Scholarship Scoops
Scoop #1 2015-2016
1. The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans has a scholarship, The scholarship application is open until October 25, 2015 for rising high school seniors who are graduating in the spring of 2016 - See more at: https://www.horatioalger.org/scholarships/
2. The Smith foundation scholarship gives special consideration to applicants who would be the first in either their mother’s or father’s (or both parents’) families to attend college-hence the name “First in Family.” However, it is not a requirement that an applicant be the first in their family to attend college. Go to: http://www.smithscholarships.com/ to apply.
3. AES Scholarship Deadline Is Approaching, The deadline for the 10th annual AES Scholarship is October 7, 2015. Visit our website at http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm and please encourage your students to apply.
4. The Better Business Bureau of North Alabama scholarship is available to a student based on their overall personal integrity and character, their personal achievements, contributions to their communities and schools, and academic accomplishments. . September 25th deadline. https://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama/get-involved/torch-scholarship/torch-scholarships/ to get the application.
5. Looking for help to find Scholarships? Go to: http://www.questbridge.org - www.fastweb.com - www.scholarships.com to sign up for assistance in matching you with the right scholarships for over 6,000 schools in the U.S.
6. Student Athletes go to the Wendy’s High school Heisman site to register for this year’s award. http://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/ to apply
7. NACEE (North Alabama Center for Educational Excellence) is in the main post office for all of you college needs.256-350-6478
8. Important Dates to remember:
- 31 August @ 6:00 College Fair at Calhoun Community College, MANDATORY to receive your college day forms.
- 31 August 2:00-3:30 In the Guidance office - USA
- 01 September @ 2:00-3:30 – Auburn - Guidance office
- 09 September 8:00 Agnes Scott College Guidance Office
- 13 September - Sunday, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - COLLEGE FAIR IN BIRMINGHAM hundreds of colleges and parent workshops on funding for college NACAC
- 23 September @ 1:00 – UAB in the Guidance office
- 23 September @ 2:00-3:30 - Mississippi State in the Guidance office