Term 2 Week 8 - Monday 20th June 2022
I would like to welcome our new families who have started in the last week. We had 8 new students start last week and some more to come over the next few weeks too. This has bought our school roll to 116. With continued growth in the new entrants we are predicting a school roll of at least 122 by the end of the year.
Welcome to Ava England, Stacey and Blake Chisnall, Kyra, Eden and Eli Phimester and Amber and Alerra Bradley.
It was great to see our year 7-8 students attending the Careers Expo at Mangakahia Area School last Friday. I had several very positive comments from various people present, on how lovely, polite and engaged our students were. A great representation of our school values.
Last week we had Sue Holmes come into school to get some student feedback about the Science Boxes we have been using over the last two terms. Other than hearing about the boxes themselves, she was very interested in what the students were saying about our Tuakana Teina system here at school. The students told her all about the difference it makes and how much they enjoy working with each other. Well done kids!!
It is great to see that we are through the worst of our recent COVID influx. All our staff are back on board and student attendance numbers have returned to normal. Please keep reminding your children to use good hygiene and stay home if you are sick.
You may not be aware that school office administrators from around the country have been awarded a pay parity claim from the government. The claim focused on recognising the historical undervaluation of their work. School can’t run without great office administrators and both Vicki and Bexs deserve to be recognise for the crucial part they play in making our school amazing.
Jump Jam - Tuakana Teina time
Our whole school has enjoyed doing Jump Jam together over the last few weeks. The juniors inspired everyone to get involved.
The school council ran another fabulous event with PJ day. It was lots of fun and they raised $140 towards new sandpit toys. Thank you to the playgroup for matching this amount so that they had $280 to spend. The school council had a ball online shopping at Kmart, The Warehouse and Bunnings for the new toys and then unwrapping and putting them together once they started arriving through the mail.
Year 7 and 8 Careers Day
Well done to room 6 for making the most of your career expo day at Mangakahia Area School. Lots of interesting job opportunities to start your thinking towards the future. A HUGE thank you to the parents who helped out with transport and supervision at the career expo. We couldn't do these trips without you.
Matariki celebration, tree planting and kai.
On Wednesday 22nd we will be having a Matariki celebration. We will have a quick assembly with Whaea Jo explaining Matariki to us, followed by planting some trees at the top field and ending with a bit of kai and a cuppa for every one. Family and whanau are welcome to attend. We will start at 11:00am in the covered area.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 03/02— 14/04 Term 2 02/05— 08/07 Term 3 25/07— 30/09 Term 4 17/10— 15/12
- Term 2 02/05— 08/07
- 5 May - Kapa Haka every 2nd Thursday
- 22nd June - Matariki Celebration - Whanau welcome
- 24 June - Matariki Day long weekend
- 1 July - School Council BBQ Fundraiser
- 8 July - House Day Winter Sports and Last day of term
- Term 3 25/07 - 30/09
- 12 August - Te Horo Cross Country Taniwha Challenge
- 26 August - Daffodil Day
- 9 September - Mangakahia Country Meal - Kokopu School Hosting
- 28 September - Mangakahia Lions Speech Competition
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Tauraroa Area School Open Day
OPEN DAY - Friday 5th August 2022
Please return this registration form by Thursday 4th August 2022. To complete the form follow this link: https://forms.gle/YGDyry96dwHxm5QH7