Frankenstein Final Assessment:
Companionship/Friendship By: Brie Prodanovich
What is a Friend?
- A friend is a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection.In many cases having good friends is an essential part to everyday life. "Its not what you know its who you know." Today it isn't as much about how much you know things are more based on connection and social media how many followers you have and your snapchat scores.
- Not only social media but musical influences play a big role in daily life. The ranges in songs and genres can be different for every person but researching I found a list of the top 35 songs about friendships this shows that friendship is a huge thing that people sing about and share all over the world.
"My heart beat quick: this was the hour and moment of trial, which would decide my hopes or realize my fears." (Shelly 113)
This quote from the creature is saying that this is it the moment he comes in contact with the family that it could either go really well or the exact opposite. The creature just wants to be accepted and works up the courage just for it to get destroyed.
“It may...be judged indecent in me to come forward on this occasion; but when I see a fellow-creature about to perish through the cowardice of her pretended friends, I wish to be allowed to speak, that I may say what I know of her character.” (Shelly 66-67)
In this quote Elizabeth is showing compassion to stand up for someone she knows when no one will. This meaning is very strong here because Shelly uses the term indecent meaning people will probably look down on Elizabeth but she does it anyways.
“The companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain.”(Shelly 188)
This quote explains that when you are a young child you form an attachment to the people you are surrounded by. The creature is much like a young child he grows an attachment to the family he watches and to his creator.
"These thoughts exhilarated me, and led me to apply with fresh ardour to the acquiring the art of language. My organs were indeed harsh, but supple: and although my voice was very unlike the soft music of their tones, yet I pronounced such words as I understood with tolerable ease. It was as the ass and the lap-dog; yet surely the gentle ass whose intentions were affectionate, although his manners were rude, deserved better treatment than blows and execration." (Shelly 95-96)
The monster relies on compassion for people to accept him. He believes that people shouldn't focus on his appearance and more on what is within which sets him up for disappointment.
"This was then the reward of my benevolence! I had saved a human being from destruction, and as a recompense, I now writhed under the miserable pain of a wound, which shattered the flesh and bone. The feelings of kindness and gentleness which I had entertained but a few moments before gave place to hellish rage and gnashing of teeth. Inflamed by pain, I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind. But the agony of my wound overcame me; my pulses paused, and I fainted. (Shelly 121)
The creature is shocked to see that every human being isn't as compassionate as he. When he realizes the pain he feels he wants to get even, revenge, on the people who have hurt him.
"We are unfashioned creatures, but half made up, if one wiser, better, dearer than ourselves -- such a friend ought to be -- do not lend his aid to perfectionate our weak and faulty natures."(Shelly 13)
This quote is saying that you should surround yourself with good people that you can look up to and try to be as great as them. It's also saying that you need friends to be a whole.
- "Chapter 4: Social Media and Friendships." Pew Research Center Internet Science Tech RSS. N.p., 06 Aug. 2015. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- "Companionship versus Romantic Love." – Positive Way. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- ""friends & Family Are the Most Important Ingredients..." PixTeller. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, and Diana Gibson. Frankenstein. Madrid, España: Edimat Libros, 2000. Print.
- "Social Media, Pretend Friends, and the Lie of False Intimacy." Convince and Convert Social Media Strategy and Content Marketing Strategy. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- "The 35 Best Songs about Friendship." Digital Trends. N.p., 08 June 2014. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
- "What Is a Friend?" YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.