Deer Hill School News . March 11, 2022
Dear Deer Hill Families,
As you may have seen recently on Twitter, I had a lot of fun cataloguing all of the things we'll no longer take for granted at Deer Hill: table groups, Morning Meeting on the rug, lunch in the cafeteria, classroom indoor recess, and the return of Mr. Youman's PE classes to the gym. On Monday, we'll take one more positive step with the return of whole grade recesses and lunches. With more familiar routines in place it can be easy to forget how far we've come in the past two years. Maggie Boylan, a 4th grader in Mrs. Moser's class, is a also a member of the Skippers Spread the News enrichment program. In today's morning announcements, Maggie shared her perspective in a brief reflection she wrote herself:
"This Sunday is [a] very special day because it has been two years since Deer Hill School shut down for the pandemic! Over the two years we have gone from remote learning to hybrid to fully in person, cohorts to no cohorts to optional masks and now we're almost back to normal. Have a good day!" -- Maggie Boylan
I think Maggie beautifully encapsulates the twisty path we've travelled together. As Maggie suggests, I think we are well on our way to having many good days.
All the best,
Alexandra L. Sullivan
Principal, Deer Hill School
P.S. Our next newsletter will be published in two weeks after break on March 25, 2022.
P.P.S. Follow me on Twitter @DeerHillSchool for ongoing info and joy throughout the week.
Need to Knows
- Deer Hill is now enrolling for our final session of our before and after school enrichment program. Spots are still available in several courses. Please see this flyer for details and information on how to register with our new MySchoolBucks system.
- Deer Hill math specialist, Chrissy Thonet, had a double header with presentations to the School Committee on March 2 and the PSO meeting on March 4. Mrs. Thonet walked school committee members through the workplaces component of the Bridges math program and provided an overview of all aspects of our math curriculum during the PSO meeting. (Here is a link to the PSO presentation.) For excellent math resources, including tools for families to support the Bridges curriculum during homework time, please visit Mrs. Thonet's website.
- Deer Hill School Council met on March 10. The primary agenda item was to develop questions for a family survey that will be shared in after conferences. The content of this survey aligns with the CPS Strategic Plan and will help guide Deer Hill's action plan for our 2022-23 School Improvement Plan.
- Deer Hill will administer the MCAS in April and May this year. Specific dates for math, ELA and science (5th grade only) administration at each grade level can be found by accessing the Deer Hill calendar which is on our website and always linked to each newsletter under Deer Hill Dates.
Keeping the Joy (happenings at Deer Hill)
- CMS and CHS Youth Ambassadors from Safe Harbor visited Deer Hill 3rd graders to perform Samantha Skunk, a play about making good choices for good health and social emotional wellness.
- We've had a great start to our Read-a-Thon! The PSO has worked diligently to create meaningful programming to foster a love of reading at Deer Hill. Highlights so far have been our Book Character dress up day and Mystery Book Talk Guests at morning announcements this week. On Monday students are invited to wear their PJs or other cozy gear to enjoy an extra-comfy reading time. Additionally, between March 14-17, Deer Hill students are welcome to bring in a new, age-appropriate book to be donated to other students on the South Shore through Wellspring and other local organizations.
- 3rd graders had a chance to participate in a virtual penguin encounter through the New England Aquarium on March 10. This enrichment activity supports their science and ELA curriculum where students have been researching penguins and sharing their learning through lessons in class and extension projects.
- 5th graders in Ms. LaForest's class also benefited from our strong community partnership with Safe Harbor. Director Nicole Balaschi joined Mrs. Hamlin's health class to present on making good choices in regard to substance abuse among preteens and teens. Her visit included information about how these future middle schoolers could become a part of the Safe Harbor Youth Ambassadors program. The remaining 5th grade classes will enjoy a visit from Mrs. Balaschi during upcoming health classes.
- So many smiling faces these last few weeks at Deer Hill. Enjoy the additional candids included in this newsletter!
Deer Hill Dates
All Schools Chorus Concert (grades 3-12) @CHS (location change): 3.15.22, 7pm
All Schools Band Concert (grades 4-12) @CHS: 3.16.22 7pm
Term 2 ends: 3.17.22
Half day professional development: 3.17.22, 1:15 (lunch is served)
Full day professional development, no school: 3.18.22
Term 2 progress reports published in Aspen: 3.25.22
Conferences (half days): 3.29.22-3.30.22, 1:15 (lunch is served)
MCAS administration dates: April & May (see Deer Hill calendar linked below)