May 3 - May 7
A Note from the Principal
Dear Langston Hughes Family,
Last week we welcomed 28 students back into the building for in person learning. The students were excited to be back and we were excited to see them. On May 3, the application for Summer Rising at PS 233 opens. Summer Rising is a program designed to help students transition back into in person learning. It will incorporate classroom instruction and extra-curricular activities. Summer Rising will be in person, and open to all students. The program will take place Monday through Friday from 8am to 6pm, from July 6 to August 20. I urge you to take advantage of the program and allow your child the chance to use the summer to transition back into in person learning.
Apply as soon as possible at this link https://discoverdycd.dycdconnect.nyc/home. Like summer school in year's past, our school will welcome students from other district 18 schools. I would like as many of our children as possible to take advantage of the opportunity so don't wait, apply tomorrow!
PS: If by chance our school is still not listed, we will begin to collect names via a school survey that will be posted by 3pm on Monday.
Stay safe and healthy!
- Virtual Awards Ceremony 6/18 @ 1pm
- In person Graduation Ceremonies 6/22 @ 8:30am (In person students), 10:30am (Ms. Boyke & Ms. Humphrey and Mr. Rouse's students; 12:00pm (Ms. McCrea's students)
- Outdoor ceremony
- 2 guests per student
- Senior t-shirts on sale for $20 (Order form was placed on Class Dojo); due May 14
I will update this section each week as we get more details.
In Person Learning
Let's continue to work to keep each other safe and healthy!
We would like to thank each family that donated emergency items or money to purchase emergency items to help the people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Please follow our SVG efforts on Facebook (P.S. 233Langston Hughes) and on our school website, ps233.org.
Phase 2 of our campaign will be announced soon.
Dates to Remember
- May 10: SLT Meeting 5:00pm
- May 13: Eid Al-Fitre - Schools closed
- May 17-28: Virtual Book Fair
- May 20: Chancellor Porter visits District 18
- May 26: PTA Meeting 6:30pm
- May 31: Memorial Day - Schools closed
- June 3: Chancellor's Professional Learning - Schools closed
- June 8: Clerical Day - Schools closed
- June 18: Virtual Awards Ceremony for Grade 5 at 1:00pm
- June 22: Fifth Grade Graduation Ceremonies at 8:30am, 10:30am, and 12:00pm
- June 23: Kindergarten and Pre-kindergarten Stepping Up ceremonies
- June 25: Last day of school
- July 6: Summer Rising program begins at 8:00am
- New York State Mathematics Assessment - Grades 3-5 - May 6
- IReady Reading - Grades K-5 - May 18
- iReady Mathematics - Grades K-5 - May 20
- Into Reading Growth Assessments - Grade 2-5 - June 1
- New York State Science Examination - Grade 4 only - June 9
- May 3 - Funday Monday!: Asynchronous learning and fun activities; limited access to teachers
- May 4-7 - In person instruction Tuesday through Friday
- May 10 - Funday Monday!: Asynchronous learning and fun activities; limited access to teachers
- May 11-14 - In person instruction Tuesday through Friday