Enfield Head Start, Integrated Pre-K, PK STEAM Academy
February 10, 2023
Greeting SELC PK Families,
Happy Friday PK! We have a short week next week and the 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day, 2022. I challenge all of you to intentionally do something kind for another human being this weekend!
- In continued celebration of Black History Month many of our Eaglets will read All the Colors We Are by Katie Kissinger. This talks about the science behind skin tone/color. This book is about the scientific process that gives us all our skin color. Three big take aways you can follow up with your Eaglet about:
- Melanin is the pigment that gives us skin color, and all of us have melanin in our bodies.
- All living things have color: plants, animals, and people. Pigment makes color.
- A zebra's stripes, a leopard's spots, and a frog's speckles are all caused by melanin.
Again, thank you for sharing your SELC experience with family and friends who have PK age kiddos! They can apply at www.enfieldschools.org by clicking on the red tile that says Stowe Early Learning Center Applications. See link below!
TO CLARIFY: IF YOUR CHILD ATTENDS HEAD START OR INTEGRATED AND THEY WILL BE WITH US AGAIN NEXT YEAR DUE TO THEIR AGE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY!!! ADDITIONALLY, IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO KINDERGARTEN YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER THEM AS THEY ARE ALREADY ENROLLED IN EPS!
A FEW REMINDERS:
- No school for Eaglets on February 17th, 20th, or 21st
- Parking lot safety is still a top priority. Winter weather could arrive at any time, making it even more urgent for everyone to SLOW DOWN AND PARK IN A SPACE.
- Remember to dress your child in layers, as it is easier to remove clothing if they are warm at school.
- Please send your Eaglet with mittens/hats and a warm winter jacket as we try to get outside even if it is for a walk around the building.
Tis the season where many SELC families start thinking about the transition to Kindergarten!
Menu Week of 2/13/2023
Nutrition Nuggets from Nurse Jen
SAVE THE DATE!!!
SMILE! SPOTLIGHT ON ORAL HEALTH FROM NURSE JEN!
Community Resource Guide for Young Families-WINTER VERSION
Consumer Product Safety Commission Recalls 2-10-23
Getting to Know Stowe! (I will keep this posted for a few weeks so you have it at your fingertips!)
Joining a new school community can sometimes feel like learning a new language as you acclimate to the procedures, environment, people, and lingo. See below to begin learning about all things Stowe:
- SELC=Stowe Early Learning Center
- SELC=our mascot (the eaglet featured above)
- FEO=Family Educator Organization
- ECDC=Enfield Child Development Center
- EPS=Enfield Public Schools
- FRC=Family Resource Center
- IPS=Integrated Pre-K
- HS=Head Start
- KITE=Key Initiatives to Early Education
- PKS=PK STEAM Academy
- Eaglets=all children taking part in any program at SELC
- Main Office=860-253-4741
- Head Start Family Support=860-253-4717
Our building is quite unique in that we house 4 PK programs, a Family Resource Center, and KITE.