GVES Weekly Update
January 11, 2019
1/15: GVSD Future of Teaching and Learning 6:30pm GVMS
1/16: School Store
1/18: GVES Spirit Day
HSA Family Movie Night - Peter Rabbit
Home and School Update
GVE Family Movie Night – TONIGHT! Friday Jan 11th
Hop on over to GVES on Friday, January 11th to watch the movie Peter Rabbit. Movie time starts at 7:00. Doors open at 6:45. Students are allowed to bring sleeping bags, blankets, pillows and stuffed animals.
*Parents please note, this is not a drop off event - Parents must attend event as well.
Our next school store will be Wednesday, January 16th! Students can shop at recess for items ranging from 50 cents to $3.00.
Martin Luther King Day Service Project – Donations and Volunteers Needed!
Donations are still being collected in the GVE lobby until Thursday, 1/17 (see below)
The Signup Genius is live for volunteers to help the students sort, pack and decorate the blessing bags! Please use this link to sign up:
We are changing things up this year for our MLK Day Service Project. Students will be helping to build “blessing bags” that will be distributed to those in need by City Team of Chester. These kits will contain travel- or trial-sized personal toiletry items and socks or knit mitten/gloves and will be delivered in quart-sized zipper plastic bags, which the children will decorate and then also include a personal note of encouragement.
Students are asked to bring in:
- Travel/Trial sized toiletry items: shampoo (regular or dry shampoo), conditioner, soap, lotion, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, chapstick, deodorant (stick or spray – prefer “gender neutral” scents), etc… MUST be small size to fit in a quart sized bag with other items
- Tooth brushes – multipacks are fine – we can separate them
- “Purse sized” tissue packs
- “Purse sized” hand wipes
- Socks – mens or womens – warm
- Knit gloves or mittens – Adult size – knit – must fit along with other items into quart-sized bag
- Quart sized storage or freezer bags – zipper close
A collection bin is in the GVE lobby. All donations are requested by 1/17. Our goal is to make 200+ bags…so all donations are very much appreciated, and your child will have the opportunity to see it all come together when they help decorate and fill the bags and write a message during a portion of their recess during MLK week. What better way to show what a caring community of learners we have at GVE!
Alternatively, you may opt to contribute cash toward the purchase of these supplies. You can do this one of two ways:
- Send the money in with your child in an envelope labelled: MLK Day of Service
- NEW! Use Venmo: Venmo your contribution to @sacarmichael (Stephanie Carmichael – HSA VP) – please make the venmo payment “public” for traceability and label it “MLK Day of Service.” All Venmo donations will be transferred to the HSA.
GVE Family Bingo Night - Friday Feb, 9th – Volunteers Needed!
(flyers to be distributed from GVE Tues Jan 22nd)
Event Date: Friday February 8th 6-8PM @GVE
We are in need of 10-15 volunteers to help us with:
- Set up
- Checking people into the event
- Kitchen help to distribute food
- Clean-up after the event.
Any help to make this event a success would be greatly appreciated.
Please e-mail Steven Schneider: email@example.com
HSA Committee Work Group Meeting – Friday, Feb 9th
Always wanted to help out with HSA events but don’t know how to get involved? Join us for our Committee Work Group Meeting and get to know us/get looped in!
Friday, February 9th – 9 am in the GVE LGI Room
3rd & 5th Grade Math Night
The GVES Home & School Association is very pleased to sponsor the sixth annual Math Night for 3rd and 5th grade students. This special night will be held at GVES’ Cafeteria (3rd Grade) and Gym (5th Grade) on Wednesday, January 30, from 7:00 to 8:15 pm.
The goal of this event is to encourage the love of math in our children by participating in some hands-on, challenging math activities, games and puzzles. There will be prizes and giveaways during the evening, so register now!
*3rd Grade students need an adult to accompany them. This is a drop off event for 5th grade students only.
*Given space constraints, siblings cannot attend.
*Space is limited to the first 60 students in each grade. Others will be put on a wait list and contacted if space becomes available
*We need volunteers to make this event a success! If you would like to help with a station or check in, please contact Elizabeth Singh @ firstname.lastname@example.org for 3rd Grade or Cynthia Robinson @ email@example.com for 5th grade.
To register your child for 3rd Grade Math night, please fill out this 3rd Grade Math Night Google Form.
To register your child for 5th Grade Math night, please fill out this 5th Grade Math Night Google Form.
Your registration will be confirmed in a future email. If you have any questions or problems registering, please contact Amy Descovich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register early to grab one of the 60 spots per grade!
BYC MLK Day of Service
Please join us for our 10th annual MLK Community Service Day event being held at the BYC/O'Donoghue Fieldhouse on Monday, January 21st from 10am-12pm. All ages are welcome, but we do ask that small children be accompanied by an adult. Community Service hours are available.
We are looking for the following donations:
- toiletries to fill decorated gift bags for various shelters
- fabric to make happy healing pillows for local hospitals
- canned goods, jars of peanut butter & jelly for local food pantries
- non perishables to create themed meal kits - pasta night, taco night, breakfast for dinner night, etc.
- fleece material for making scarves for shelters and braided dog bones for the SPCA
- 72" no sew fleece kits to make tie-knot blankets for a local foster care program
- loose change for piggybanks (part of the Adopt a Pig foundation)
- composition books, duct tape, stickers & foam decorations to make journals for local cancerpatients
- fruit to include in the bagged lunches being delivered to City Team Ministries
Please see the attached flyer for more details. Our event is also posted on the All For Good website via the following link - https://www.allforgood.org/projects/6QyWKGJZ
If you are interested in making a donation or to RSVP to help, please feel free to contact Dawn & Jim Gillespie at email@example.com or 610-246-7800.
Chorus Sign Up
Hello all 3rd, 4th and 5th Grade Parents, The music department at GVES is wrapping up our winter concert performances. In January, all choral groups will begin working on new concert repertoire for our spring performances. If your child is not yet in chorus and would like to participate, this is the perfect time to join his/her grade level chorus. Please go here to Join The Chorus and read about our programs. You may watch videos of past performances and have questions answered in the Q and A section.
Any further questions can be e-mailed to Mr. Lenderman at firstname.lastname@example.org. (If your child is already in chorus please do not sign up again!!)
Thank you and have a Wonderful Holiday Season, Mr. Lenderman.
Garnet Valley CTC Quick Tip #21
The results are back from the 2017 Pennsylvania Youth Survey for Garnet Valley’s 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th graders. We also have results from 2013 and 2015 PAYS. The results of this anonymous survey are self-reported and represent 83.9% of our students.
Did you know? “In the data sets we use, we have never seen use of any substance by America’s young people rise as rapidly as e-cigarette use is rising,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement.
In Garnet Valley’s PAYS results from 2015 and 2017 (the question was not asked in 2013) the numbers of students reporting that they have vaped/used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days doubled in every grade except for 10th grade.
Call to action… Our district is concerned and has acted to provide families with help for their children who are caught vaping or have vaping paraphernalia on school property. See Dr. Bertrando’s recent statement for more details (1/8/19).
The help is also open to any student who is struggling with the insidious addictive power of nicotine, a substance which is present in all e-cigarette/Juul/vaping products. Our Surgeon General sent the warning below on 12/18/18. Click on the link below for more information.
● Surgeon General Jerome Adams took aim at the popular e-cigarette Juul on Tuesday, warning the public that vaping could lead to lifelong addiction, harm brain development, and damage the lungs.
● “We need to protect our kids from all tobacco products, including all shapes and sizes of e-cigarettes,” Adams said in an advisory. “Everyone can play an important role in protecting our nation’s young people from the risks of e-cigarettes.”
Garnet Valley Solo Fest - Sat Feb 23, 2019
After School Activity Dismissal Procedures - Dismissal Locations
VEFLS - Foreign Language Contact Person, email@example.com or 610-717-2755
Cafeteria Information - Menus and Payments
GVES Yearly Calendar - Important Dates
Safe Arrival - Attendance Reporting App
GVSD App - Download app here
MySchoolBucks - Online Payments
District Text Messaging Opt-In - Registration Info