4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Welcome to 4th Grade!
We're off to a great start - thanks for your support!
Reanna & Elizabeth
What Are We Learning This Week?
- Continue elements of poetry - free verse, rhyming verse, stanza, etc.
- Continue similes/metaphors
- Continue beginning of year individual reading assessments
- Sitton List 3 - Spell Check on Friday 9/19 in class
- Phonics Focus: long /e/ sound spelling patterns (e, ea, ee, and y)
- Phonics Focus: when h follows c, s, t, w, or p, the combination stands for a new sound
- Multiplication fact strategies
- Multiplication & division checkpoint
- Multiplicative comparisons
- Texas geography, salt dough maps
Science: Properties Matter
- Magnetic properties investigation
- Vocab Quiz #1 on Friday (see below for more information)
- Continue The Writing Process: Step 1 - Brainstorming (digging up buried stories)
- Packet of 3 worksheets handed out on Monday 9/15 and due next Monday 9/22
- Students should log in to Xtra Math to practice their math facts. It is recommended and encouraged for students to complete a practice three times a week (should take 2-5 minutes to complete). Log-in information was sent home last week in travel binders and is also on a sticker in students' travel binders. Please email Elizabeth at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having trouble logging in.
- Online Reading Log & Questions - read 80 min / week (an average of 20 min/night for 4 nights) and answer this week's comprehension questions. Reading log & questions need to be completed only ONCE per week with total minutes for the week. It can be found on-line on your reading teacher's website under "Homework". Please complete NO LATER than Sunday evening at 5:00 p.m. in order to get full credit.If your child is unable to access the homework online, please have them request a hard copy by signing up in the classroom no later than Wednesday to allow for printing. A soft copy of the reading log can be found on the Our Town website under "Reading Homework" for those students who prefer to track their minutes using a paper log; students will also be given a laminated card stock log to keep in their travel binders behind the "Current Homework" tab and reuse throughout the year.
- Properties of Matter Vocab Quiz #1 on Friday, September 19. Words can be found on our classroom website under homework.
- Study Sitton List 3, given in class on Monday 9/15 and checked in class on Friday 9/19. List can also be found in your child's travel binder behind "spelling" tab, by clicking the link directly below, or a soft copy is available on the Our Town website under "Spelling Homework".
- Spelling Worksheet handed out in class on Monday 9/15 and due Monday 9/22 - antonym crossword puzzle using letter combinations ch, ph, sh, th, and wh. A soft copy of the worksheet can also be found on website under "Spelling Homework".
Our Current Week
- yellow specials day
- math worksheets due to math teacher
- spelling worksheet due to reading teacher
- green specials day (library day for Eddy's homeroom)
- lunch choice for students buying lunch on Wednesday due to homeroom teacher
Wednesday 9/17 -
- EARLY RELEASE DAY - dismissal at 12:00
- no specials due to early release
- blue specials day
Friday 9/19 -
- purple specials day
- National Talk Like a Pirate Day - come with your best "Ahoy, matey!" and pirate "Arrrrrrr!!!"
- Spell Check over Sitton List 3
- Science Vocab Quiz #1 - students made flip book study guide last week over the following words - classify, compare, contrast, mass, measure, states of matter, solid, liquid, gas, substance, volume. Definitions are linked below and on the website under Science Homework.
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see our classroom website under "Daily Schedule".
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are initalics below.
Wednesday 9/24 - Progress reports sent home (ONLY students who have averages of 70% or below will be receiving a progress report)
Thursday 9/25 - Destination Imagination applications due to Eileen Delisi, Campus QUEST teacher - see below for more info
Tuesday 9/30 - Fall Picture Day
Wednesday 10/15 - Early Release Day - 12:00 Noon
Friday 10/24 - End of First Nine Weeks
Monday 10/27 - Staff Development Day, NO SCHOOL for students
Thursday 11/13 - 4th Grade Veterans' Day Play - daytime performances for grade levels, parent/family performance at 6:00 pm.
Monday - Friday 11/24 - 11/28 - Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2 - Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
Friday 1/16 - End of Second Nine Weeks
Need a Little Reminder from Time to Time?
Help us help you by subscribing to "Remind" - a service that strives to help students succeed by keeping the lines of communication open between teachers, parents, and students.
Please subscribe to our Remind messages by texting @eddyweltz to (562) 246-8878.
The Explanatory Fine Print:
Texts will be limited in frequency and serve as important reminders of upcoming events/deadlines or last minute schedule changes due to inclement weather or other unforseen events; primary and detailed info communication will continue to come via weekly 4th Grade Happenings updates. While the "Remind" service is free, standard data-messaging fees may apply as determined by your mobile service carrier. You may unsubscribe at any time by replying STOP to text feed. Service is courtesy of Remind.
Elizabeth Weltzin - @eweltz
Reanna Eddy - @educator_eddy
Elizabeth & Reanna