Eagle Friday News and Notes
August 10, 2018
We sure enjoyed seeing kiddos fill the halls and classrooms this week! There were so many great team building and relationship forging activities that took place. We even had the opportunity to squeeze in our first Eagle Family Friday of the year!
Have great weekend and we look forward to seeing you all back Monday morning for our first full week of school.
What a Great First Week Back!
3rd graders in Mrs. Grant's class design Yatzee and Jeopardy math games.
Checking out some great books in Mrs. Schmidt's class!
Kylie and Aria enjoy some time on the playground!
First Grade students explore the outer boundaries of our playground!
Students in Mrs. Spencer's class share their "All About Me" bags.
Mrs. Slack's students share their hopes and wishes for the school year!
Welcome Officer Austin Holtz
Beginning of the Year Events
August 15: Dad's Club Meeting, 7 pm
August 21: PTO Meeting, 1:15 pm
August 23: Eagle Curriculum Night, 5:30-8:00
During this event for parents, each classroom teacher will present a half hour session highlighting the curriculum, events, and expectations for the year ahead. Each grade level has a designated time, indicated in the calendar below. You will also be able to visit informational booths from various district and community organizations.
- Kindergarten: 5:30-6:00
- 1st: 6:00-6:30
- 2nd: 6:30-7:00
- 3rd: 7:00-7:30
- 4th: 7:30-8:00
August 31: Kindergarten Dad's Club Breakfast, 8:15
September 6: Coffee with the Principal, 8:00-8:30 for all parents and 9:00-9:30 for kindergarten parents.
September 7: 1st Grade Dad's Club Breakfast, 7:15 and School Picture Day
September 12: Dad's Club Meeting, 7:00
September 25: PTO Meeting. 1:15
September 26: Jog-A-Thon (28th rain date)
September 28: Dad's Club Campout
September 14: Dad's Club Tailgate, ZCHS Football
Jog-A-Thon T-shirt Sizes
Click Here to select a T-shirt size for your child.
Arrival and Dismissal
Kindergarten - 9:00 am until 2:30 pm
Grades 1-4 - 8:00 am until 2:30 pm
*Students are considered tardy if they arrive in their classrooms after 8:00 am.
Students may walk/bike to school, ride in a car, or take the bus. Our ultimate goal is student safety! If we all follow the procedures it really helps us make sure all students arrive to school and back home safely every day.
Bus information: please call Amy Eaton at (317) 873-2852 (ext. 11802). Buses unload at the back of the building with the assistance of our staff.
Walkers - All walkers must cross at the crossing guard. Walkers will be able to enter the building at 7:50 am and go to their classrooms. Students must be accompanied by a parent until the doors open at 7:50 am.
Walkers will be dismissed from the back door after buses leave and walked across the street at the crossing guard. Please meet your child here to help with our safe dismissal.
Car riders - Cars may enter the loop and wait for an Eagle staff member to indicate when they can enter the building. We ask that parents shut off their car to help with emissions if they are early for pick up or drop off. Students exit and enter cars on the passenger side. Please teach your child(ren) to buckle and and unbuckle so that the driver can also remain in the car safely. Car riders will enter the building between 7:50 and 8:00 am. Car riders will be dismissed at 2:30 pm.
***Please Note: We want to be courteous of our neighbors here at Eagle. Please be sure to keep driveways accessible to homeowners while we wait to pick up/drop off students. We also want ensure student safety by being extra cautious and obeying traffic laws especially in the areas surrounding our school.
A Message from PTO
- A huge thank you to our PTO Hospitality and Teacher Services ladies, they did a wonderful job with the newcomer event, back to school night as well as the teacher luncheon! Thank you to all who volunteered their time and donated items this week for those events!
- Our first meeting of the year will be Tuesday August 21st at 1:15 at Eagle. All parents or caregivers are welcome - kids and babies are welcome accompanied by a parent.
- Spirit Wear - if you missed purchasing at back to school night don’t fret! The spirit wear order form is on the PTO section of the Eagle Elementary website. The spirit wear table will also be open on August 23rd for Curriculum Night so you can see items in person before you buy. Those orders should available by the end of September.
- Don’t worry about dinner on Curriculum Night! Dine out for Eagle August 23rd Donatos Pizza, Dine In or Carry Out only. If you didn’t get a flier at back to school night we have them at the front desk and will be posting on Facebook.
- Are you kids ready to run? Running Club will be on Tuesdays and Fridays right after school until 3:30 beginning Friday, August 17th - Tuesday, October 9th. Running Club registration opens on Tuesday, August 14th on iVolunteer! We will be running Hit the Bricks (5K) on Saturday, October 6th! Contact Jennifer Lang (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- If you are a new family at Eagle and would like to be connected with a mentor family please contact Heather Dinn, email@example.com.
- Jog-A-Thon Kickoff is Thursday, September 6th! If your company is interested in being a sponsor with your name/logo on the t-shirts please email EagleJogAThon@gmail.com. We still have spots available. Deadline to sponsor is August 22nd!
- If you would like to stay informed about Eagle events subscribe to text messages by texting @eaglepto to 81010. And like us on Facebook at Eagle Elementary PTO. If you have any questions please let me know!
School Lunch Information
State law stipulates that the medical records of children on file at school show the required immunizations have been completed by the 20th day of the school year. That day is September 5, 2018. Information regarding immunizations requirements for 2018-2019 can be found here.
Parents of children whose immunizations are not up-to-date should contact their health care provider or the Boone County Health Department to schedule an appointment for the necessary immunizations. Some pharmacies also carry the necessary vaccines.
If parents object to immunizations, a written objection must be on file in the school office by September 5, 2018. This must be updated yearly. Children who do not have up to date vaccination records by that date will not be allowed to return to school until the proper immunization information is on file. Students who have appointments with their health care provider after Sept. 5th 2018, must present proof of the scheduled appointment in order to remain in school.
Please contact Kendra Scales in the health clinic with any questions or concerns. firstname.lastname@example.org
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
Field Trip Chaperones
Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
After Prom Workers
Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
Classroom Guest Speakers
Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.