MGMS Family Mustang Memo
Parent/Guardian Newsletter December 1-15
In This Issue....
- Calendar of Upcoming Events
- Yearbook Cover Needed
- Staff Wishlist
- Student Pick Up & Drop Off Reminders
- Books Needed
- Weekend Food Available
- Attention 8th Grade Parents - Baby Pictures Are Needed
- The Closet
- Order Your Yearbook Today
- Volunteer Coordinator Column
- Absences & Appointments - What To Do
- Moving or Attending Another School
- A LOOK AHEAD
- December 2 - NO SCHOOL - Mark Reporting
- December 5 - Tri II Begins
- December 8 - 8th Grade Choir Concert with MGSH 7 PM
- December 14 - 8th Grade Orchestra Concert at MGSH 7 PM
- December 15 - Jazz Band Concert 7 PM
- December 19-21 - School Spirit Week
- December 21 - Last Day of School Before Winter Break
- December 22-January 2 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
- January 3 - First Day of School After Winter Break
Yearbook Cover Contest
We need students to create a cover for the yearbook. The theme this year is "Aim for Greatness". Below are the requirements for the design:
- The design must include the school name and year, "Maple Grove Middle School, 2022-2023"
- The design must include the theme, "Aim for Greatness".
- The design needs to be in color, not in pencil
- It must be on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of plain paper. The paper can't have lines, tears, rips or fringes.
Use the link below to upload the design. The deadline is Monday, December 5, 2022.
Wish list for teachers/staff
With the holidays fast approaching as well as it being an early start to the cold/flu season, below are the teacher/staff wish lists. These lists contain staff favorites in addition to their need of Clorox Wipes and Kleenex.
Thank you for your generosity during this holiday season!
* All items can be sent via Amazon link, dropped off in the Main Office labeled with the teacher name or hand delivered by your student.
student pick up and drop off
Student drop-off and pick-up reminders
- Please only drop off and pick up students at the curb.
- No students are allowed to walk through the parking lot for safety reasons
- Please watch carefully as you pull away from the curb as staff are crossing the parking lot
- Please do not drop off or pick up students in the second lane nearest the parking lot. That is only for cars passing through.
Thank you for keeping everyone safe.
Mustangs are giving back
We are partnering with our local hospitals again this year to send notes of cheer to the Maple Grove and Robbinsdale North Memorial staff. Students have been busy making cards over the past week. We are also collecting new or gently used books for ages infant to 6 years old. These books will be given back to the community during well child visits in their NMH clinics. If you have any books for this age group you may drop them off in the main office. We are collecting books until December 8.
Maple Grove Middle School partners with Every Meal to provide weekend meal bags for families. Families may choose from three options structured around the USDA MyPlate standards. All bag types contain 4-5 pounds of nutritious, non-perishable food, including a variety of fruits, vegetables, proteins, grains, and soups/entrees. Click here to enroll your student.
MGMS Counseling Department
8th Grade Baby Pictures Needed
We need baby pictures of our current 8th grade students for the 2022-23 yearbook. Please take a picture of your favorite photo and upload it by clicking the button below.
Submission deadline is Friday, February 3, 2023.
Notes from Volunteer Coordinator, Andrea Dorn
PACT (Parents and Community Together) What is PACT? Parents/guardians and staff who are working to ensure that MGMS is a great place for students and their families!! Please join us for the PACT meeting on Monday, January 23, 7:00-8:30pm in the Media Center. You also can join online by clicking the link below.
Be a Volunteer at MGMS!!
Whether you can commit to a weekly volunteer opportunity, or occasionally, we appreciate your presence at school. Complete a volunteer application online (see links below) and receive emails on all the different opportunities MGMS has for you. I look forward to working with all our parents throughout the year.
Please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have regarding volunteering at Maple Grove Middle School.
WHAT TO DO...
If your child is going to be late or absent from school, please call the school with the reason for the absence. The telephone call eliminates the need to send a note with your student when he/she returns to school. Excused absences consist of illness, medical appointments, and family emergency situations such as a funeral. Oversleeping, missing the bus, or skipping school are not excused and are considered truancy.
MGMS 24 Hour Attendance Line: 763-315-7603.
If you received a call saying your child was absent one or more periods, please check your ParentVue account for the period your student was absent. Have your child talk to the teacher for the class that they were marked absent. The teacher will then communicate with our attendance person.
APPOINTMENTS/EARLY RELEASE - HERE IS WHAT YOU DO
1. Send a note with your student in the morning
2. When the student gets to school they go to Student Services to get a white pass
3. At the stated time on the pass, your student leaves class and comes to the office with the white pass and signs out in the main office
4. The person picking up can wait in the car (very helpful on cold winter days)
If you didn't send a note, you will need to come in with your driver's license and we will call your student down when you arrive.
This procedure is in place to ensure student safety.
WHO TO CONTACT
School Phone: 763-315-7600...............................Website: https://mgms.district279.org/
Attendance: 763-315-7603………………………………..Transportation: 763-391-7244
Jason Olson, Assistant Principal……..Email: Olsonj@district279.org
Katie Gerdts, Counselor 6th Grade......Email: GerdtsK@district279.org
Patrick Smith, Principal………………….Email: SmithPatrick@district279.org
Megan Woods, Counselor 7th Grade...Email: :WoodsM@district279.org
Jennifer Hinker, Assistant Principal.....Email: HinkerJ@district279.org
Kaia Paquin, Counselor 8th Grade.......Email: PaquinK@district279.org
Student Management Specialists Assist With All Grades
Nathanial Davies (Grade 7 & 8 A-L) – Email: DaviesN@district279.org
Levy Jones (Grade 6 & 8 M-Z) - Email: JonesL@district279.org
District Tip Line.........763-391-8660