MCSD Board Briefs
December 9, 2019 Regular Session
December 9, 2019 Regular Session
The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District met in regular session on Monday, December 9, 2019, at 7 p.m. at City Hall. President Tammi Drawbaugh called the meeting to order. Directors Karen Cooney, John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Toby McCarter, Mike Morgan, and Denny Schuur were present. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe, Assistant Superintendent Mike McGrory, and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
The Board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
Visitors and media representatives were welcomed.
MHS Student Council Representatives provided an update.
- Natalie Maxwell McDonald
- Carrie Zorich
- Molly Boyer
- Jill Holler
- Josh Boyer
Board Targets/Goals Report:
- Students will graduate prepared for post-secondary options: MHS social studies teacher Rachel Hansen updated the board on the World Cultures National Geographic Grant.
- Muscatine Schools will utilize resources effectively and equitably: administrators and teaching staff provided an update on the Central/West merger and Madison Elementary updates.
Consent Agenda was approved:
- The minutes of November 18, 2019, Retiring Board and Annual/Organizational Meeting.
- Employment Recommendations:
- ~New Hires - Schedule C: Scott Mauck, AP Coordinator, MHS; James (Jim) Sichterman, Head Boys Tennis.
- ~Resignations - Schedule C: Thomas (Tug) McCleery, MHS Assistant Football; Ben Nietzel, MHS Assistant Football.
- Bills and Claims against the district dated December 9, 2019.
- Special Education Contracts with Columbus Community Schools, Davenport Community Schools, Louisa-Muscatine Schools, Burlington Schools, Clinton Community Schools, Dubuque Community Schools, Clayton Ridge Schools, and Mason City Schools.
Approved Policy 203.9 Conflict of Interest Exhibit: Conflict of Interest Questionnaire.
Approved administration authority to seek modified supplemental amount from the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) for Open Enrollment Out not in Fall 2018 for $339,494 and ELL served beyond 5 years for $184,659..
Approved administration authority to enter into a lease with Mountain Home Company for a portable classroom at Madison Elementary in the amount not to exceed one time costs of $25,000 with a monthly lease not to exceed $900 per month for no longer than 24 months. All ayes; motion carried.
October 2019 financials were reviewed.
The following dates of upcoming meetings and events were announced:
December 10, 2019: River Bend Foodbank’s Mobile Food Pantry; 4:30-6PM; MCSD Administration Center
December 11, 2019: 2-Hour Early Dismissal
December 12, 2019: Sister Cities Business After Hours at Muscatine Art Center; 5-7PM
December 16, 2019: Special Board Session*; 5:30PM; MCSD Administration Center; *Closed Session
December 20, 2019: 2-Hour Early Dismissal for Winter Break
December 23-January 3: Winter Break
January 6, 2020: First Day of Second Semester
January 8, 2020: 2-Hour Early Dismissal
January 11, 2020: Special Board Session*; Time 8:30AM-5:30PM; MCSD Administration Center; *Closed Session
January 13, 2020: Regular Board Meeting; 7PM; City Hall
The meeting adjourned at 9:52 p.m.
Select the link to view the unofficial meeting minutes for the 12/9/19 Regular Meeting.
It is the policy of the Muscatine Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, social economic status, national origin, religion, age, veteran status or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices.
There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact the district’s equity coordinator. If you believe you have been discriminated against or treated unjustly, please contact Equity Director(s) Mike Morgan, 2705 Cedar St, 263-6141, or the Director of Human Resources, 2900 Mulberry Ave, 263-7223, Civil Rights Compliance Officer Edwin Colon,403 E 9th Street, 263-8800, Affirmative Action Coordinator Director of Human Resources, 2900 Mulberry Ave, 263-7223, or the 504 Coordinator Mike McGrory, 2900 Mulberry, 263-7223. They will discuss the situation with you and if you wish help you file a grievance.