Saint John Academy Summer Reading
For Rising 2nd Graders
Greetings, Parents and Students
The books, stories and poems have been carefully selected to foster an enjoyable and thoughtful reading experience. Enjoy this special time with your child. These assignments are meant to be enriching and meaningful.
Be sure to balance the assignments with lots of fun, enjoyable time outside with family and friends.
Best to you and your family,
Mrs. Karen Tessier
Saint John Academy
Core Elements of Summer Reading for Rising Second Graders
- Required readings include Quiet by Tomie dePaola. Please note that the book Quiet does not come out in print edition until October. You may find the digital version on Nook or Kindle, or you may wait until October to buy the print edition. The images for parts of the book may also be found online in various places. In addition, please choose three stories to read aloud to your child from Book of Bible Stories by Tomie dePaola or three parables from The Parables of Jesus by Tomie dePaola.
- From the reading list below, choose 5 books to be read silently or aloud with parents. Parents may choose to read some of the books to their child--at the parent's discretion.
The Miracles of Jesus - Tomie dePaola
Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland - Tomie dePaola
The Good Samaritan - Tomie dePaola
My First Easter - Tomie dePaola
The Legend of the Poinsettia - Tomie dePaola
The Tale of Three Trees - Angela Elwell Hunt
James and the Rain - Karla Kuskin
The Story of Ferdinand - Munro Leaf
Red Wolf Country - Jonathan London
Beatrice’s Goat - Page McBrier
Jumping Bean - Edna Miller
Mousekin’s Christmas Eve - Edna Miller
Mousekin’s Frosty Friend - Edna Miller
Mousekin’s Golden House - Edna Miller
Mousekin’s Thanksgiving - Edna Miller
Mousekin’s Woodland Sleepers - Edna Miller
Patches Finds a New Home - Edna Miller
Cam Jansen Series - David Adler
Frog and Toad Series - Arnold Lobel
Henry and Mudge Series - Cynthia Rylant
Mr. Putter and Tabby Series - Cynthia Rylant
Charlotte’s Web (advanced) - E.B. White
Magic Tree House Series - Mary Pope Osborne
The Boxcar Children Series (advanced) - Gertrude Chandler Warner
A – Z Mysteries Series - Ron Roy
Amelia Bedelia Series - Peggy Parish
- Read all three poems aloud.
- Memorize at least one, reciting it at home (at the dinner table or some other spontaneous moment). This will also be recited at school.
"At the Zoo" by William Makepeace Thackeray
"The Moon" by Robert Louis Stevenson
"The Eagle" by Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Choose three Aesop's Fables to read.
The Fox and the Grapes
The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs
The Mice in Council
The Lion and the Mouse
The North Wind and the Sun
The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Boy and the Wolf
The Hare and the Tortoise
The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
The Grasshopper and the Ants
We also recommend that you read (or retell) folktales to your child, such as Beauty and the Beast by Charles Perrault and The Tinderbox by Hans Christian Andersen.