Fifth Grade Newsletter
March 28, 2019
STAAR Testing Information
April 9th - 5th Grade Math
April 10th - 5th Grade Reading
Our campus will be closed to visitors on April 9th and 10th due to STAAR testing. There will be no parent lunches on these days. If at all possible, try not to schedule any appointments on those days. If needed, students who are absent on those days will be given the opportunity to make up the missed tests.
This test is very important, and it is important that all students be in attendance on test days. There are several things that you can do to help your child be successful on this test.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test.
- Make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast the morning of the test.
- Have your child arrive at school on time that morning so he/she does not feel rushed.
- Do not schedule any appointments for your child on April 9th or 10th.
- Finally, send your child to school that day with a hug and words of encouragement.
Safety - After-school playground
Spring Photo Information
- Spring Photos Are Here!
- Information about purchasing the entire photo package or individual sheets is located inside the portrait package
- Please return the payment for the photos or return the photos you do not wish to purchase to your child's teacher by Thursday, March 28th
- Please make checks payable to Lifetouch
- You can also pay at www.mylifetouch.com (look for the access code on your child's photos)
Important End of the Year Dates
April 9 - STAAR Math
April 10 - STAAR Reading
May 15 - STAAR Science
May 17 - 5th Grade Field Day at Lebanon Trail
May 29 - 5th Grade End of Year Ceremony (8-9:30), STRIKZ party (10:30-1:30)
May 30 - Last Day of School - 5th Grade Farewell Walk
Student Council Service Project
Smith Elementary’s Student Council is starting our service project for the year. Our 4th and 5th grade representatives created their own “coin” drive titled, “Koin$ 4 Kid$”to collect money for the nonprofit organization, Lovepacs.
Lovepacs collects food for students who may not have enough to eat when school is out for the weekend and holidays. This organization provides mostly non-perishable, easy to open, and minimal cooking food items. In addition, they provide school counselors with stocked snack closets and hygiene products they may distribute to children who demonstrate a need.
Our STUCO is collecting money from now until May 3rd. Please send any coin or dollar donation you wish to contribute to your child’s homeroom teacher. Our goal is to be able to provide food for several students in the Frisco area for a whole year.
We are looking forward to working as a school to provide for those in our community in need! Be on the lookout for updates and student incentives!!
Remember every penny counts!!
Math - Concept Review
Science - Inherited Traits and Learned Behaviors
Reading - Applying Strategies to analyze texts
Social Studies - Free Enterprise/Supply and DemandWriting - Creating Strong Literary Responses
March 28 - Report Cards go home
April 6 - Spring Carnival 3:30-8
April 9-10 - STAAR Testing
April 23 - May 3 - Food Drive
April 19 - No School
April 22 - No School (Bad Weather Make-Up Day)