Welcome Back, Stevenson Families!
August Updates and Back to School Information
Dear Stevenson Community,
- Student safety
- Student academic growth and achievement
- Student mental and emotional wellness
- Expanding educational and enrichment opportunities for students
I know there are a lot of questions regarding the start of school this year. Please review this newsletter that contains a wealth of information regarding Back to School Events, supply lists, expectations, and more!
On behalf of the entire Stevenson faculty and staff, let's have a great year!
Christyn McCloskey, Principal
Save the Date!
Saturday, August 14: City of Houston Super Saturday Vaccination Event at Stevenson!
- Date: Saturday, August 14th, 2021
- Time: 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Location: Stevenson MS; 9595 Winkler Drive
Wednesday, August 18: New Student Orientation
As of now, the event is in-person. However, please be aware that things can change quickly and we may need to change the mode to virtual if necessary.
Thursday, August 19: Virtual Parent Meeting
Monday, August 23: First Day of School!
On the first day of school, 1st period lists will be posted. Students will report to their 1st period where they will receive a paper schedule for the remainder of their classes. There will be plenty of staff stationed around the school to assist students in finding their 1st period class.
The school day ends at 4:00 PM. Please refer to the map below to review our student pick-up and drop-off procedure.
September 8 & 9: Open House
As of now, the event is in person. However, please be aware that things can change quickly and we may need to switch the mode to virtual if necessary.
- 6th Grade: Wednesday, September 8th @ 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- 7th & 8th Grade: Thursday, September 9th @ 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Things to Know
Meet the Stevenson Administrative Team!
7th Grade Administrator
6th Grade Administrator
8th Grade Administrator
Office of School Culture Administratorampiani@houstonisd.org
- Students will participate in a minimum of 30 hours of intervention instruction per subject failed.
- If a student did not take STAAR in Spring 2021, they will take a TEA Beginning of Year (BOY) assessment in September to determine if accelerated instruction is necessary.
- Accelerated Learning Committees will be formed for each 6th grade student who failed a 5th grade STAAR assessment. Someone from the school will be reaching out to you next week if an Accelerated Learning Committee will be established for your student.
- STAAR will no longer be a promotion standard and students in 5th and 8th grade will no longer have the opportunity to re-take STAAR Assessments.
Here at Stevenson, we are providing students with accelerated instruction during Dragon Time. Dragon Time is 60 minutes a day of content specific intervention with the core content teachers. If a student passed all STAAR assessments in Spring 2021, they will engage in enrichment learning activities, including curriculum based projects, research projects, technology integration projects, and more.
Stevenson will continue to provide opportunities for additional learning outside of the school day through after-school tutorials, Saturday tutorials, and Camp Spark sessions in November and March.
More information on HB 4545 can be found here.