Moreau Heights Elementary
Moreau Heights is a collaborative community focused on student growth with a commitment to excellence.
PBS lesson - How to Respond to Peers on the Playground
The PBS lesson this week focuses on Responding Appropriately to Peers on the Playground. (Lesson will be shared via email before Monday)
Our Second Steps lessons this week will focus on whatever skills you have not addressed through Skills for Learning and Empathy. We will begin out focus on "Emotional Management" after the break.
Are you using Charger Cash to reinforce PBS expectations and Second Step skills?
- We want to use positive reinforcement to draw attention to what we want to see more of
- How do you make sure you are putting the focus where you want it?
- Are you remembering to use all your tools? Specific feedback? Charger Cash?
"You are a giant, yellow highlighter. Highlight behavior you want more of, and help children become aware of the many kind and helpful things they do each day."
Want some ideas of how to respond when students show they need it? Check out the suggestions via this link!
Conscious Discipline - Noticing
The video this week focuses again on NOTICING. This is powerful and helps to build our skills by raising our awareness AND student awareness of their actions, WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.
1. Noticing is just that, noticing what students are doing. We want to state this without judgement.
"I notice Suzy is respectful with a quiet voice."
"I notice Jim is seated on carpet, ready for learning."
"I noticed you kept your cool when the other student bumped into you. How does that make you feel?"
"I notice we have several students showing the sign that they are ready for recess: facing forward with a level zero voice."
2. Assertive Directions are clear and concise. Describing what is needed in a calm, clear voice. It is NOT raising your voice or being angry/mean.
"When you quickly and quietly move to your seat, you will take out your math book and a pencil." - follow this with noticing - "I notice Frank is moving to his seat quickly. Sarah is walking to her seat without talking to others. Trent is getting his math book out. I notice Josh and his neighbors have out math books and pencils, waiting for instructions."
Are we taking the time we need to reinforce redirects with positive feedback/noticing when students comply? This helps to reinforce student actions and let them know we appreciate them doing what was asked, even if they didn't want to.
Character Trait for December is Compassion
Duties for the Week
Calendar of Events
Monday, December 11
*Tier 2 mtg 3:30
Tuesday, December 12
*Conscious Discipline Parent lunch 11:00 in library
*Problem Solving team 3:30
*Girls basketball game 5:45 at South
*PTO mtg (kindergarten) 6:00
Wednesday, December 13
*Staff mtg 3:45
Thursday, December 14
*Cookie Dough fundraiser pick-up
*Boys basketball game 7:45 at Pioneer Trail
Friday, December 15
- 8:30 grades 3-5
- 9:40 grades k-2
*5th grade to Salvation Army
*DK IEP (Albers, James, Treat) 9:15
*Inter-agency for TK (Haugen, Fleming, James, Gentry) 11:00
Monday, December 18
*AB IEP (Farmer, Skinner, Haugen, OT, PT, Humphreys) 8:30
*Leadership Team 3:40
Tuesday, December 19
*DG Staffing (Fleming, Haugen, Treat, Spear, Jesseca) 11:00
*RZ meeting (Haugen, Bray, James, Spear) 2:15
*PBS Team 3:40
Wednesday, December 20
*Family Time at end of day (schedule to come)
Thursday, December 21
*5th grade Holiday Luncheon
*End of 2nd quarter
Friday, December 22
*Early Dismissal - 12:15
*9:00 - 9:45 - School-wide Sing-a-long in gym
*10:00- 10:45 - Holiday Celebrations
*10:45 - 11:45 - Sack lunches in classrooms
*12:15 student dismissal begins
*When all students are gone, staff is dismissed for the holiday break
1. You MUST enter grades in Parent Portal each week. Parents are tracking their child's progress using this method and expect YOU to keep them updated via the portal. Thank you for making sure this tool is effective for parents by updating by Tuesday of each week.
2. We need to make sure that students are using their iReady licenses for AT LEAST 45 minutes each week. In addition, make sure students are progressing through lessons - providing additional instruction as needed when students struggle.
- Lindsay Bray will be taking a leave of absence for the second semester. We are currently locating a quality candidate to fill her role.
- Jana Salmons will not be returning from break to be a full-time mom.
- Lyvie Fullerton will not be returning after break to explore other adventures. The process of identifying a quality candidate for this position is under-way.
- Mrs. Patty and Mr. Dave in the kitchen are being moved to new schools in January. We are sad to lose them in the kitchen and wish them the very best in their new schools. The students will love them there every bit as much as we love them here!
- We will have a para who will be supporting in the building each morning until 11:30, then he/she will go to the Transition Room. I will be sure to introduce this person when they are hired and begin.
Grading and Grade Cards
The grade card window closes on Wednesday, January 3 at 7:00am. Please let Lyvie know when you are finished posting grades (special class too). She can start printing grade cards when she knows everything is ready and this gives you more time to look them over for errors while the window is still open!
Kelly's Coaching Corner
In the eyes of our families that attended Literacy Night, it was a success. Our students fully enjoyed dinner and interacting with their parents/teachers in a positive, structured way. A huge shout out the our teachers and staff that helped with this event!
iReady Diagnostic Testing
Jay Pride Alive - grants available!
Attention JCPS teachers! Jay Pride Alive is doing it again! Follow the link below to submit information about a need in your classroom and you could score up to $500! Submissions are due by December 22. Presentations are in January.