Partee General News
Partee ES Parent Newsletter - October 2019
Early Release/Parent Conferences are right around the corner. Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, October 23rd and Thursday, October 24th. The buses, car riders, and daycare van riders will be dismissed at 12:20 pm on both days. Please send any transportation changes to your child's teacher the week before conferences.
Parent conference time is a great opportunity to meet with your child's teacher to learn about the progress your child is making on learning the grade level skills. More information regarding scheduling a conference is coming soon.
Thank you for your continued support.
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." Helen Keller
10/3 - School Council Meeting @ 9:30 am
10/3 - International Night
10/10 & 10/11 - Fall Break - No School
10/14 - Columbus Day - Student Holiday
10/15-25 - Great Days of Service: You "Can" Do It Drive
10/18 - Pink Out - wear pink to support Relay for Life
10/21-25 - Book Fair
10/21-25 - Red Ribbon Week
10/23 & 10/24 - Early Release Day - more information to come!
10/25 - Skate Night, Sparkles in Grayson, 6:00 - 8:00
10/29 - Kindergarten Field Trip to Alegre Farm
10/31 - Fall Festival
Safety and Security
Also, we will continue to practice our required fire drills, tornado drills, hard and soft lock down drills regularly. The School Resource Officers (SROs) will be assisting us with the hard lock down practices throughout the school year. Remember that these practice sessions are necessary so that everyone knows what to do in the event of a real emergency.
Partee Elementary loves having volunteers at our school! Please consider donating some time to help our students. There are so many important benefits to volunteering at school—both for you and your child.
- Research shows that students whose parents volunteer do better in school. They make better grades, have better attendance, and are more likely to graduate and continue their education. This is because, just by being at your child’s school, you are showing your child that education is important to you!
- Volunteering is also a great way to connect with other parents in the community. It can lead to lifelong friendships—for you and your child!
- Your child’s teacher and school staff are your teammates in parenting during the school year. They have a tremendous impact on children both academically and socially. Having a presence at school is a great way to get to know them better and show them your support.
- Volunteering is a great way to showcase your strengths. Look for opportunities that are within your wheelhouse. Volunteering will feel less burdensome, and your natural talents will be appreciated.
For all of these reasons, please consider volunteering at Partee. Please contact Deborah Bridges, our Parent Liaison, for more information.
Come celebrate the cultures of Partee Elementary. It's an evening of fun for the entire family!
Thursday, October 3rd from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm
GCPS Instructional Resources Public Review
The Gwinnett community is invited to review proposed instructional resources to provide input on their alignment and appropriateness prior to selection and adoption. The review will include proposed student textbooks, digital resources, and teacher resources for language arts and social studies for select grades and courses. All materials under consideration are available on site as noted below. Participants may drop in at their convenience during the dates and times noted.
Date: September 9, 2019 - October 4, 2019
Location: J. Alvin Wilbanks Instructional Support Center, 437 Old Peachtree Rd NW, Suwanee, GA 30024
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sept. 19 5:00 PM - -8:00 PM
Sept. 21 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Media Center - Upcoming Events
Fall Into Reading is still going strong! It's not too late to turn in reading logs for a free kids meal at Chipotle, but you'll want to hurry because coupons expire October 31st! The next big reading challenge is on its way. Be on the lookout for the next reading log to earn a trip to the Book Mobile for a free book.
It's obvious that our Partee Generals are reading, because book checkouts in the Media Center have been record breaking. Over 3,000 books were checked out in the month of August. That is 1,000 more than last year! So keep reading Partee. Here are three upcoming events to get you excited about reading:
1. Our next Book Fair is right around the corner..... Monday, October 21st through Friday, October 25th. Because these dates run concurrently with Early Release, this is the perfect time to shop with your child. The Book Fair will be open for extended hours everyday this week from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM. If you would like to volunteer for this event, you may sign up at https://volunteer.scholastic.com/#/signup/PdCdvvgsL
Volunteers receive 10% off their purchase!
2. Guest Reader will be held on Wednesday, November 6th. Please consider signing up to read to your child's classroom. Books are provided and students are eager to see what mystery person will come to their door. Sign up now at http://bit.ly/novemberguestreader
3. Saturday Story & Cinema is back again this year featuring a the story of Aladdin followed by the major motion picture starring Will Smith! Saturday Story & Cinema is a great way for students to make connections to the literature their favorite movie comes from. Everyone is invited to the Partee Media Center on Saturday, November 9th at 12pm for this classic.
Have You Signed Up for the Parent Portal?
Log on to https://gwinnett.k12.ga.us/parents/PPS/login and create your account. With access you can: update student information, check your child's attendance record, see their grades; and opt into School Messenger. With School Messenger, you get text messages on school wide events and notification of when your child's bus has let the campus late.
From the Clinic
Healthy mouth and teeth are an important part of a child’s wellness. Adding a dental professional as a resource to your support system can provide ongoing peace of mind for your entire family.
Brushing and flossing
- The teeth should be brushed within five minutes to 10 minutes after eating.
- The teeth should be brushed for 2 minutes.
- Also, your child needs to care for his gums as well; he should be taught to floss regularly, preferably once a day, in order to help prevent gum (or periodontal) disease in adulthood.
- A tartar-control toothpaste can help keep plaque from adhering to your child's teeth.
- Fluoride in the toothpaste can strengthen the exposed outer enamel of the youngster's teeth and help prevent cavities.
- Fluoride treatment should continue until age 16.
- Food from outside the cafeteria is not permitted.
- Birthday's can only be celebrated during lunch. No balloons, stuffed animals, etc. please.
For the safety and security of all students, please try to keep afternoon transportation consistent. In the event that changes are needed, please do the following:
One-day change: Write a note and attach a copy of your driver's license. Requests can be delivered by the student, faxed to 678-344-4400, or emailed to Partee_Transportation@gwinnett.k12.ga.us. Please call the school by 2:30 to verify that the request was received.
Temporary Change (minimum of 5 days): The parent or guardian must come in and complete a "change of transportation" form in the front office.
Lost and Found We already have a number of items in Lost and Found. To help us return lost items to their owner, please put your student's name and teacher name on the label of your child's clothing.
November - Upcoming Events
11/6 - Guest Reader Visits
11/9 - Saturday Story and Cinema @ 12 noon
11/14 - School Council Meeting - Shiloh High School @ 9:30 am
11/15 - School-Wide Spelling Bee
11/21 - Math Night
11/25-29 - Thanksgiving Break