Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 4/27
Greetings & Good Morning!
I hope you had a great weekend. We have a busy and productive week ahead! Students have worked extremely hard on their Reading MCAs. The Math MCAs are next week, and we will likely test Monday-Wednesday. I will notify students as I know the schedule.
Please help your child to remember to WEAR YELLOW on Friday! See details below! :)
IXL Challenge #7 is due this Wednesday & IXL Challenge #8 runs through next Wednesday. These are the final two IXL challenges, and I'd love to see a large percentage of students work toward mastery!
Challenge #7 (4/22-4/29):
H.1, V.9, P.8
Challenge #8 (4/29-5/6):
P.17, E.7, U.4
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
Important Spring Dates:
NEXT WEEK - May 4th-8th: 4th Grade Math MCAs/ Book Fair
NEXT Tuesday, May 5th: Spring Music & Art Program (6:00-6:45; Students should arrive to the classroom ~5:45 pm to get lined up & ready. Expect further communication about the program from Mrs. Johnson this week.)
May 14th-15th: Fourth Grade Science Museum Trip
May 21st: Fourth Grade Track & Field (5/22 & 5/26 are make-up dates)
June 4th: Last Day of School
Can you help? Seeking small treats for our MCA test takers for next week! Thank you!
This Week's Important Updates:
- White T-Shirt for Spray Painting: Please have your child bring in a white t-shirt by Monday, May 4th. We will be once again be designing shirts. In fourth grade, students wear the shirts on our Science Museum overnight trip AND use the same shirt for Track & Field. Shirts will be washed, so please make sure sizing is correct!
- Wear Yellow THIS Friday, 5/1: We will be honoring our cafeteria staff on Friday, May 1st for School Lunch Hero Day! Please have your child wear yellow in honor of School Lunch Hero Day on 5/1! Students will be making Thank You's for our cafeteria staff during media class. Our class has the chance to earn books for the classroom by being the class with the most yellow. Let's win the challenge!!
- Return Spring Pictures: Please return spring pictures and/or payment if you have not yet done so. Thank you!
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are diving into our new Storyworks issue!
- We are making inferences from two articles about the pros and cons of space exploration.
- We are drawing evidence from two articles to analyze the theme of what it means to be a winner.
- We are analyzing how an author uses details in the story to develop the characters.
- We are celebrating National Poetry Month & reading lots of poetry!
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are learning about 3-dimensional figures and discussing faces, edges, and vertices.
- We are solving problems involving spatial visualization.
- We are determining perimeter, area, and volume of various 2- and 3-dimensional figures.
- We are working on solving multi-step word/story problems.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are learning about plant and animal classification.
- In Social Studies, students are studying the NE region of the United States. Students should study the states & capitals at home to prepare for an end-of-year test on all states and capitals. Students will be selecting a state to research over the coming weeks.
Wishing you a fantastic week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.