Last month, we notified families that the District was undertaking a strategic planning process designed to engage all stakeholders in developing a shared vision for the future.
In February, Hazard, Young, Attea, and Associates (HYA), an independent consulting firm, conducted an online survey and met with more than 20 focus groups. It was amazing to be able to welcome and connect with various stakeholders, including parents, teachers, administrators, staff, students, and community residents. Thanks to all who were able to attend and/or take our online survey to provide feedback to help improve the District. We appreciate your time and value your input.
We now begin the process of analyzing the data collected during the research phase of the planning process. Information and updates will be posted to the Strategic Plan section of our website throughout the process. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions.
Dr. Dan Callaghan
Registration for the 2023-24 School Year Begins April 11
Early Childhood/Preschool (EC/P), Kindergarten, and returning student registration for the 2023-24 school year opens online beginning Tuesday, April 11, 2023. An early registration discount will be given to families who register their students and pay their fees or set up a payment plan through the Business Office (708-342-5513) by Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
Please visit ksd140.org/registration for detailed information, including fees, health forms, busing, residency verification, and step-by-step directions for registering your student.
Stay Connected with ParentSquare!
KSD 140 is now using ParentSquare for email, text, and voice messaging! All District and principal communications will be sent via ParentSquare.
This unified communications platform is designed to keep parents and guardians informed and encourages greater engagement and connection with D140. It provides an efficient way for District administrators and school principals to:
- Send District and school information via email, text, and app notification
- Share pictures, files, and calendar items
- Send attendance notifications
- and much more . . . all in one centralized place!
For even greater convenience, download the ParentSquare app (available for free for iOS and Android devices). This app centralizes District and school communications pertaining to your student(s) and allows parents/guardians to customize their notification settings.
Board of Education Adopts 2023-24 School Year Calendar
- The 2023-24 School Year begins with two Teacher Institute Days on Monday, August 21, and Tuesday, August 22.
- The first day of student attendance for all grades is Wednesday, August 23, 2023.
- Winter Break will begin at the close of school on Friday, December 22, 2023 (Half-Day). Teachers will return for an Institute Day on Monday, January 8, 2024. Students will return on Tuesday, January 9, 2024.
- Spring Break will begin at the close of school on Friday, March 22, 2024. Classes will resume on Tuesday, April 2, 2024.
- If no emergency days are used, the last student attendance day will be a Half-Day on Monday, June 3, 2024.
D140 Board of Ed Celebrates Students and Staff at February Board Meeting
Spelling Bee Champions
District 140 Spelling Bee champions were recognized at the February Board of Education meeting. These fourteen outstanding spellers won their school competitions and advanced to compete in the District Spelling Bee in early February.
Congratulations to Zackary S. and Jack F. from Bannes Elementary; Erin T. and Noah A. from Fernway Park Elementary; Sama D. and Carson B. from Keller Elementary; Jiro C. and Allen M. from McAuliffe Elementary; Chloe B. and Sereen A. from Millennium Elementary; Jasmine C. and Gabriella G. from Grissom Middle School; Isabella P. and Ava G. from Prairie View Middle School.
The District's overall Spelling Bee winner was Jasmine C., an eighth-grader from Grissom Middle School, who clinched the victory by correctly spelling “Azores.”
Meritorious Budget Award
The Board also recognized D140's Business Department for winning the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the eighteenth consecutive year. The entire team - Michael Andreshak, Jenna Khalil, Laura Laird, and Tiffany Mullarkey - was honored for their contributions.
The MBA promotes and recognizes excellence in school budget presentation and enhances school business officials’ skills in developing, analyzing, and presenting a school system budget. After a rigorous review by professional auditors, the award is bestowed only on school districts that have met or exceeded the program’s stringent criteria. Less than one percent of schools nationwide received this honor last year.
- Saturday, February 25 - Special Olympics Gymnastics Competition - 1:30 pm @ Palatine High School, Palatine IL
- Monday, March 6 - Casimir Pulaski Day - No School
- Saturday, March 11 - IGSMA Band District Contest - Cadet Band performs at 9:20 am, and Symphonic Band performs at 10:40 am @ Central Middle School
- Wednesday, March 15 - D140 Jazz Band - 7:00 pm @ Andrew High School
- Thursday, March 16 - Music in Our Schools Choir Concert - 7:00 pm @ Andrew High School
- Thursday, March 16 - Board of Education Meeting - 7:00 pm @ Administration Building
- Monday, March 20 - Declamation SWIC Competition - 5:30 pm @ Liberty Junior High, Burbank, IL
- Tuesday, March 21 - Mathletes SWIC Competition - 4:00 pm @ Century Junior High, Orland Park, IL
- Thursday, March 23 - SWIC Band Concert - 7:00 pm @ Simmons Middle School
- Monday, March 27 through Friday, March 31 - Spring Break - No School