September 28, 2015
"A mind stretched by an new idea can never be returned to its original dimension." ~ Oliver W. Holmes
Thank you so much for all your hard work last week and for making parents feel welcomed and appreciated. I hope you all found some much deserved time to relax and rejuvenate this weekend. I managed to watch the Auburn football game to the bitter end. . . it was just so sad. I cannot say that THAT rejuvenated me, but a spur of the moment "field trip" to Fernbank did. Ever since the kids were little, Fernbank has been one of our favorite spots to visit. I guess what made this trip special was watching the expressions on Madelynn's face as she connected what she has been learning in school to the exhibits at the museum. Although she has always enjoyed Fernbank, this time it held a entirely new meaning for her. Doesn't that make you just love school? (I promise, we did not leave Sam out; he chose not to go, a decision he regretted quite soon after our departure.)
And for some very important news . . . we have hired a 5th grade teacher! Stephanie Garrett will be coming to us from Buford Academy. We are excited to welcome her. This week will be very busy for her and all of 5th grade as we prepare to open the new classroom. I know we will all appreciate your support as we move forward. Alainna Reimer and the 3rd grade team worked hard to provide a flawless transition last week with our new 3rd grade class! And. . . Lindsay Heiss will be welcoming her 2nd grade students tomorrow, who will be coming from Amy D'Angola's class. They, too, have worked diligently to prepare for this new adventure.
Again, thank you to each of you for making it happen each and every day.
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot as of 8/10/15
On November 3, 2015, Gwinnett voters will be asked to consider continuing the E-SPLOST (education special purpose local option sales tax).
Who is Making IT Happen?
- I would like to give a shout out to my mentor, Heather Garren, her support, guidance, and time have been indispensable to me as a new teacher.
- A big thank you to Melissa Davis for all her help in my classroom!
- We will miss you Susan Sager. Thank you for all your dedicated hard work.
- Thank you Chris, Bridget, Kim and Lisa for helping with Make-ups during CogAT.You are much appreciated.
- Thank you Chris Rogers for all you have done to make the Leadership Academy Conferences so successful. You Rock!!
- Thank you Bridget Saldana for teaching 4th grade Leadership Academy Conference. We could not have don't it without you.
- Thank you to Teresa Olson for always having a positive, upbeat attitude and doing whatever it takes to get the job done - you inspire me every day!
- Melanie Cain - thank you for EVERYTHING.
IMPORTANT - District Assessments & Gradebooks
Vision Cohort 7
The Offices of LA, MA and SC are partnering to offer professional development that promotes a workshop model classroom and encourages cross-curricular reading and writing. Our learning topics this year include the Gradual Release of Responsibility, the craft of reading and writing and learning through inquiry. K-5 sessions have a STEM focus; 6-10 classes will have a science literacy focus.
What: Vision Cohort 7
When: 10/24, 11/14, 12/5, 1/9 and 1/30
Time: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Where: Peachtree Ridge HS
Please register by 10/01/2015 via the PD&E tool: Vision Cohort 7
(Participants should register in sections by grade level: K– #21383; 1st Grade– #21384; 2nd Grade- #21385; 3rd Grade- #21386, 4th Grade - #21387; 5th Grade- #21388; )
Q12 Engagement Survey
Gwinnett County Public Schools is once again partnering with the Gallup Organization to conduct the Q12 Engagement survey for our teachers and school leaders.
The three minute survey is taken online via a secure website maintained by Gallup. Gallup collects all the responses, aggregates the data, and compiles a series of reports for GCPS overall and for our schools. GCPS will only receive school level data, which ensures individual employee confidentiality.
PLEASE make sure you have taken this survey. The window closes on October 5.
9/29 PLC Day - Check it out!
Thanks for signing up for a session for our upcoming Professional Learning Community meeting on September 29. You will get an email from your class facilitator on Sunday or Monday with details about your session location and any materials that you need to bring.
Spirit Wear - a note from PTA
We have had one of our teachers express interest in wanting a zip up fleece sweater for Harbins Spirit Wear. I am working on getting pricing for this but first wanted to see how many of you would like one for yourself. It is probably going to be around $35-$40. It would be a red fleece with a paw print and the word "Tigers" going through it. I thought it would be best to say Tigers and not Harbins just so it could be used for all Archer cluster events and such. Please email me back at the address listed below with your name and grade level so I can get a tally. If I have enough people interested, I will set up a place in the staff workroom with an order form.
eCLASS Fall Course Offerings
Leadership Academy Conference for 2015-16
Each grade level will have a daylong leadership conference which consists of 5 sessions. The students will rotate through all of the sessions. (Number order of the habit does not impact the order in which students attend sessions.)
Teachers will stay with their classes. They will have a planning period during their regular specials time. The specials teachers will assist with each session during specials.
Split class lists are attached.
No data notebook, pencils, or devices are needed. Only passports are needed. J
Begin to move to the cafeteria in the following order. Classes will enter through the “exit doors” of the cafeteria. 8:20 Anderson/ Fryer/ Wilson 8:22 Bell/ Florey Split classes should join class for Kick off Session
Chairs will be labeled for classes.
- Technology coaching is open to all teachers, either through lessons with students, or for you during planning time. I would love to help you plan for successful technology integration in any way that I can, including model lessons, co-teaching, observing, or working during your planning time. Click here to access the technology coaching schedule and sign up for an available time.
- The 2nd 9 Weeks lab schedule will be available on Friday, October 2nd at 3:15 PM. It covers dates from October 13th to December 18th.
- When leaving a computer lab, please remember to LOG OFF of computers, keep the computers open, and turn off the projector. Thanks for your attention in making the labs easier for the next class to use.
- Don't forget to turn off your projectors when leaving your classroom.
- When in doubt, fill out a ticket.
- Are you not receiving notifications when someone shares a document with you in Google Drive? Click here for directions on how to forward your harbins.org email to your GCPS Lotus Notes email.
Media Center News
Media Center News:
The Media Center will be closed on TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29th from 9-10am and again from 12-1pm for a live video conference with the Mariners Museum with 4th grade. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Classroom Spirit Award
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file has been shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning each month when Montine sends out the notification email.