April 8th - April 12th
Monday, April 8th
- Spring Conference sign ups open, 9am. Conferences are 4/25 and 4/26 for grades 1-4 and 4/23, 24, 25 for kindergarten.
Wednesday, April 10th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education Parents Meeting, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
Wednesday, April 17th
- General PTO Meeting: Special Presentation for incoming HMS 5th grade parents with GLAd Aaron Dubnow and Q&A Parent Panel, 9am Harper Auditorium
- Incoming Kindergarten Orientation Presentation, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
- Open House visit with our new Superintendent, Dr. Kari Cremescoli at WJHS (click here for information). 5:30-7:00pm at WJHS
Friday, April 19th
- No School, Good Friday
Monday, April 22nd
- Earth Week!
Tuesday, April 23rd
- Birthday lunch
Wednesday, April 24th
- 4th Grade Music Concert
Thursday, April 25th
- Early Release Day, Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Scholastic Book Fair in Cafeteria 11am-3pm
Friday, April 26th
- No School, Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, April 29th
- PASS39 Parent Education Evening
- Topic: What is Executive Functioning? Strategies will be provided to support in the classroom and beyond.
- Location: MEC
- Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Parent Night to Follow
Friday, May 3rd
- PTO Sponsored Movie Night, 6pm
Wednesday, May 8th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education
Wednesday, May 15th
- General PTO Meetings, 9am
Thursday, May 23rd
- Before School Chorus Concert, 6:30pm
Thursday, May 30th
- Harper Student Council Fun Fair, 3:15pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
Our students returned from spring break ready to learn! So many students are goal driven and we celebrated students that remained on task for their learning goals over break. We had students that logged their reading time, completed math activities, wrote post cards or kept journals, etc. Thank you for facilitating learning during vacation!
Transition-Mr. Dubnow and I continue to meet and collaborate on a very regular basis. He will be a part of many upcoming activities, including student placement, Outdoor Education parent meeting, Kindergarten Orientation, and more.
- Finding Balance: Understanding How Parental Controls on iOS Devices Can Help our Students Monday, April 8th See attachment.
- April 17th 5:30-7:00pm - Open House visit with our new Superintendent, Dr. Kari Cremescoli at WJHS (click here for information)
- Conference sign-up opens on April 8th at 9:00am! Conferences are 4/25 and 4/26 for grades 1-4 and 4/23, 24, 25 for kindergarten.
- 3rd and 4th graders will take the Illinois Assessment for Readiness from April 9-16th in the areas of Math and ELA. The IAR is the new PARCC. Here is information: https://www.isbe.net/iar
Harper Hoedown 2019
- PLEASE SAVE HARPER HOEDOWN 2019!
- The Harper Hoedown will be cancelled by THURSDAY, APRIL 18th if a chair and/or co-chair and 4-5 sub committee members don’t step forward by that date.
- It takes a village and Harper needs your help so please consider volunteering your time.
Pop-Up Book Fair
- Join us for the first ever pop-up Scholastic Book Fair on Thursday April 25th from 11am-3pm in the Harper Cafeteria. This will be a smaller version of the Fall Book Fair, for one day only. Come and pick up some new releases, browse some old favorites, and get a head start on your summer reading. Profits from the Book Fair go right back into our school! If you can't make it in person, please visit the online Book Fair from 4/23 to 4/29 at http://www.scholastic.com/bf/harperelementaryschool. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Hope to see you there!
General PTO Meeting this Month
- CALLING ALL 4TH GRADE PARENTS, April 17 @ 9:00am in Harper Auditorium
- iPads? Multiple Teachers? and Schoology? OH MY!!
- Come join Aaron Dubnow, HMS GLad and future Harper Principal, for this informative presentation on transitioning your 4th grade child(ren) to 5th Grade Highcrest Middle School. It’s an exciting time of growth for all!
- There will be a Q&A with current 5th grade parents to answer all of your questions.
The Harper Garden opens for the season on Tuesday, April 16th, and will be open every Tuesday and Thursday through the end of the school year IF a parent volunteers for each day. A garden co-chair is almost always present, with pre-planned tasks and activities. Please sign up HERE to keep the garden open, and to foster outdoor education for our students.
Harper Spring Movie Night
- Harper PTO Spring Movie Night presents: Peter Rabbit (PG)
- Get your tickets while they last!
- Friday, May 3rd - 6:00pm-8:00pm
- All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to laugh along with the antics of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny and gang as they sneak into Mr McGregor's veggie garden! Pajamas welcome and encouraged!
- Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
- Sign up today as movie nights sell out quickly at: http://harperpto.com/harper-pto-movie-night/
- Cost: $20 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
- Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up to volunteer here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0844a8af28a02-harper1
- Space is limited to the first 115 kids. NO WALK-INS. All children must be registered in advance.
All Children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. Sorry, NO DROP OFFS
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
- Mark you calendars with the below upcoming iGNITE! sponsored events:
- Attention 3rd grade: There will be an upcoming field trip on Thursday, April 18th to see The Time Warp Trio at Lifeline Theater in Chicago. Buses Leave at 9:30 am sharp! All students will be back at school after lunch/recess are over so all students need a bag lunch.
- A special THANK YOU to The Scallan Family for donating their Keurig coffee maker to the teachers and staff to replace a broken one! YAY!
Community Service Corner & News
Trevian Girls Softball Association is seeking a few more 9/10 year old girls (4th/5th graders) interested in playing spring/summer softball. Contact Kelsey Lee at Klee@trevians.org for more information.
the Warming House Youth Center Annual Benefit & Silent Auction will be held Saturday, April 6th, 7:00 - 10:00 pm at the Wilmette Golf Club
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org