the PENN NEWSLETTER
Penn Pride: We have. We are. Together.
The Spoils of the Penny Wars: Pie-ing Mrs. Heffner
SPRING PICTURES this Monday, February 24
One Book Two Book
The Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature organization’s annual One Book Two Book Children’s Literature Festival will recognize the creative excellence of more than 70 area students over the course of the three-day festival, Feb. 21-23.
One Book Two Book is a three-day festival celebrating writing for and by children, Feb. 21-23. It features a Friday kickoff banquet for participating Iowa City area schools; a Saturday book fair featuring author presentations, workshops, crafts, dance and more; and the Sunday Write Out Loud! event. For more information or to see a full schedule, please visit www.onebooktwobook.org.
Students in Corridor districts were encouraged to submit one page of original writing. Those submissions were evaluated by a team at ACT in Iowa City.
The following Penn students had their writing selected:
The “Once Upon a Time” banquet. One student from each of 23 participating Iowa City-area elementary schools has been selected to read a piece of original writing at the dinner.
Ethan Meidlinger - 3rd grade
The Write Stuff, which is judged based on language, clarity, structure, and emotional impact.
Anaya Patil - 4th grade
Addison Bollier - 5th grade
Mira Mannheimer - 5th grade
Estelle Ralston - 6th grade
The district PE department has adopted a new fundraising initiative. (Remember we used to do Jump Rope for Heart). This new initiative promotes good character, mental, emotional and physical health and almost all the money stays in the district, and specifically in our building. Check out this flier.
Parents, please remember:
2. Please be sure your child has tennis shoes for pe days. This is for safety.
The form for this input will be shared in the parent newsletter after spring break. Input will be accepted until May 1.
Inclement Weather Guidelines
While we already experienced a brief preview, winter weather is right around the corner! As a reminder, the District's Inclement Weather Guidelines for issuing delay, cancellation, and early release decisions can be found on the District’s website by clicking HERE. Please note the change to the school day if there is a late start issued on a Thursday.
As decisions are made regarding school day changes, the District aims to keep parents as connected as possible so that notifications are received conveniently and timely. In addition to the notifications that are sent via email, phone and text, we encourage you to follow the District on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to ensure that announcements are right at your fingertips. We also encourage you to download the District’s mobile app, where you can find everything school and district related in one convenient spot.
If you have any questions, please contact the Educational Services Center at (319) 688-1000.
SAVE the DATE .... info about Music Performances
1st grade: Wednesday, March 25 2:00
2nd grade: Wednesday, March 25 2:20
3rd, 4th and 5th grades: May 13, Wednesday 8:30 AM
6th graders will perform at their last day of school celebration
- Feb 24 Spring Pictures
- Feb 27 Parent Teacher Conferences: 2:10 - 7:10pm
- Mar 2 Parent Teacher Conferences: 7:40am - 7:10 pm
- Mar 2 Kindergarten Registration: 7:40 - 7:10
- Mar 3 PTO Fundraiser: McTeacher night at North Liberty McDonald’s 5-7, bring $5 cash to buy a sheet of coupons worth over $20, the school keeps 100% of the coupon proceeds!
- Mar 3 - 13: PE fundraiser (see details above)
- Mar 16 - 20 NO SCHOOL for Spring Break
- Mar 30 - April 3 School of the Wild for 6th grade
- April 23 Kindergarten Round-up
- May 1 Deadline for providing parent input for next school year teacher assignments
- May 1 & 2 Wizard of Oz Production
- May 12 5th/6th Track & Field Day @ Liberty High
- May 16: Penn @ Kernals game
- May 29: Last Day of School
- May29: 6th Grade Promotion Celebration @ 8:15 in the gym