VES Squires Scoop
News from Victoria Elementary School
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We have made it through one full week and I am so thrilled to be at VES, working with such wonderful students, staff and families. The way everyone works together for the betterment of the community and for the students is second to none! I will be sending out newsletters each month to highlight some of the activities we are doing at VES and to let you know what we have upcoming in the weeks ahead.
Key Points for the start of the school year!
2. Doors open at 7:30 a.m.
3. Breakfast will be served from 7:30-7:50 a.m. in order to get students to class on time for the start of their day.
4. Students are dismissed from the gym to classrooms at 7:52 a.m.
5. Absences need to be called in to the office to Mrs. Schmeidler by 8:15 a.m. Please do not send a message to your child's teacher through See Saw for attendance. Most teachers are unable to check See Saw throughout the day since they are busy with instruction and we would hate for them to miss an important message.
6. Teachers will check See Saw after school or on their plan and will respond as quickly as possible. Teachers will respond within a 24-48 hour time frame, if not before. I have asked them to not spend their evenings responding to See Saw messages, as they need time for their own children and families.
7. For the safety of our students during drop off and pick up, please make sure you are pulled over and parked before asking your child to get in the vehicle. Students will not be allowed to walk out to your car in the middle of the street. Also, to assist in the flow of traffic, please keep the north side of the street near the crosswalk as our quick drop off zone. This will be utilized for parents dropping off quickly in order to get to work. If you need to walk students in or need to come into the building, please park away from the drop off/crosswalk zones. This allows for a smoother transition for the quick drop offs. We appreciate your support.
8. While we are on the subject of drop offs and pick ups: We are extremely grateful to our volunteer crossing guards each morning. I have never worked in a district with so many people willing to volunteer their time for students. We are blessed in Victoria! If you see these crossing guards, please thank them for their willingness to be there to keep our students safe!
9. We would also like to thank the PTO for all they do. If you would like to be involved in our Parent/Teacher Organization, please let our office know and we will have someone contact you.
10. Currently, we are able to allow parents and guests in the building. YEA! Students are washing hands well and promoting good hygiene. If your child is not feeling well and you are questioning if you should send him/her, please contact our school nurse, Coleen Dickinson. She can help you determine if you should send your child. Victoria is blessed to have a full time nurse to help us stay healthy.
11. Our new Social/Emotional Learning Curriculum is called Core Essentials. Mrs. Sander, counselor, will be helping to guide teachers with lessons. The August word of the month was Wisdom. September's theme is INITIATIVE: Seeing what needs to be done and doing it. Please ask your child how they are learning to take INITIATIVE!
12. . My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with questions, comments or concerns.
We will be working with staff all year on how we can inspire excellence in Victoria schools. I know the staff at VES works hard everyday to come together and inspire students to always give their all!
PTO/Sunflower Bank "Back To School BBQ!"
Monday, Aug. 30th, 6pm
6th grade Instrumental Display with Mr. Befort
Monday, Aug. 30th, 5-6pm
VES Music Room
FUNtastic Friday Morning Assembly--Hosted by 5th grade
Friday, Sep. 3rd, 8am
FUNtastic Friday Morning Assembly--Hosted by 4th grade
Friday, Sep. 10th, 8am
VES TEACHER TEAM WILL BE WORKING THE HGH SCHOOL FB CONCESSIONS
Friday, Sep. 10th, 6-9pm
1107 West 10th Street
FUNtastic Friday Morning Assembly--Hosted by 3rd grade
Friday, Sep. 17th, 8am
FUNtastic Friday Morning Assemby--Hosted by 2nd grade
Friday, Sep. 24th, 8am
Mrs. Urban and Mrs. Gabel team up for "Easy as 1,2,3" at teacher inservice.
Ms. Jacques and Ms. Winter laugh during their 1,2,3 practice.
Ms. Aguilar and Mrs. Lang work well together.
Grandma Marilyn welcomes students for breakfast
Students prepare for the morning by meeting with friends in the gym
Mrs. Urban joins students in the cafeteria