NOHL CANYON ROADRUNNER NEWS
SEPTEMBER 3RD-SEPTEMBER 9TH : WEEKLY PUBLICATION
Message from Principal Strickland
It was wonderful to see all of our families at Back to School Night this week. We thank you for taking the time to meet your child's teacher(s) and build our school community. A special thanks goes to our Nohl Canyon School Association (NCSA) for the support of the TK/Kindergarten Ice Cream Social that had a great turnout of new and continuing families!
It was a truly rewarding week for our Start with Hello campaign! Students and teachers engaged in activities throughout the week that highlighted kindness, a sense of welcome, and community throughout our school. It was fun to see our Roadrunners showing their positive spirit. A big thank you to Ms. Pullin, all of our students, and teachers who led the way through Start with Hello!
The month of September holds a lot of excitement. Please see all if the information below regarding upcoming events and happenings around Nohl Canyon. Go Roadrunners!
September 4: Labor Day - Holiday
September 5: Student of the Month begins - Hard Work focus
September 6: Shelter in Place Drill
September 8: NCSA Meeting after Drop off - Staff lounge
September 9: NC Angel Game Family Night
September 11: Patriot Day Assembly
September 12: Outdoor ED Parent Meeting 5:00pm
September 15: Make-up / Class Picture Day
Thanks for coming to BTSN!
Start with Hello Week! - Great Roadrunner Spirit
Student of the Month Begins - September Focus - Hard Work
HARD WORK - “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”
Preparing for Success means you must work hard. Are you preparing to Succeed or preparing to fail? If you are looking for the easy way, a short cut or trick you are preparing to fail because success requires old-fashioned hard work. Remember: Only you know if you are working as hard as you can.
At the end of each month, students will be nominated by their teachers and receive principal recognition for their dedicated efforts.
Meet Coach Suarez
Patriot Day Student Assembly - September 11th
On Monday morning, September 11th at 8:30am, Nohl Canyon is holding our Patriot Day Assembly recognizing our heroes, First Responders and military service members and those who sacrificed the greatest sacrifice on September 11, 2001. This is a closed assembly (students and staff only) except for the invitation to family members who are first responders and/or retired/active armed services as well as the parents of students performing in the assembly. If you are a first responder and/or armed services and would like to attend, please complete the following Google form: Patriot Day Assembly Invitation Form
We also welcome the families of all assembly performers. Please fill out the link for the Patriot Day Assembly Invitation Form linked above so we can plan on your attendance. For the Profile question you may select any of the three choices that apply.
Also, our students who are in the Boy or Girl Scouts will have a role in Monday’s assembly. If your child is part of a Boy or Girl scout troop and you have not been contacted by Danh Bui (Boy Scouts) email@example.com or Craig Kobayashi (Girl Scouts) firstname.lastname@example.org, please reach out to them individually.
After the ceremony on Monday, the yearbook group photo will be taken of our troop members. Please have your child wear their scout uniform to school! We ask our military service members and first responders to remain for the group photo.
All Students are allowed to wear any Red, White, or Blue on Assembly Day!
Parking Lot Procedures
Thank you for making our parking lot procedures during drop-off and pick-up a safe and efficient machine. We serve a large number of vehicles in short period of time.
Thank you for your continued help with a few critical items:
- Please be kind to our parking lot volunteers. They make the whole thing work.
- Please ask your kiddos to walk when in front of school. Running children in the pick up area presents several hazards. Safety is our first priority.
- Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School. Trinity will often allow us to use their lot for special events but should not be used for drop-off or pick-up.
- Please remain clear of the Trinity lawn areas. Trinity lawns should not be used for student waiting for drop-off or pick-up. Students should always be picked up from our school site. If students are still here after 2:40pm, we bring them behind our school gates into our QUAD area for safety until parent pick-up. Please do not have your students wait at the Trinity site for pick-up.
- Please be sure to use crosswalks when crossing all major roads. Students being dropped off on Nohl Canyon Rd. and then proceeding across the street, presents a significant hazard to those students.
- Keep in mind, the Nohl Canyon Rd. entrance to our parking area is only to be used during afternoon pick-up and is limited to Middle Lane traffic that is pulling all the way through the lot to park in the back school lot.
Parents, Please watch the following video on Parking Lot Procedures
Parking Lot Guidelines:
- Entrance Driveways
- Nohl Canyon Rd Driveway is used for Staff, Buses or Drive Through to EAST parking lot Only
- Nohl Ranch Rd Lower Driveway is used for Entrance for all cars
- Nohl Ranch Rd Upper Driveway is EXIT ONLY. This driveway is also Right turn ONLY during the hours of 7:30 - 8:30 am AND 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Please view the Parking Lot Procedures attachment below.
Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School.
Nohl Canyon Parents - if you need to park for drop-off/pick-up, or park to wait for your child, please utilize the following spots:
- Nohl Canyon's EAST back parking lot (West parking lot near Kindergarten area is STAFF ONLY)
- Nohl Canyon Rd where available (do not block driveways or park on the school side of Nohl Canyon Rd.)
- Dog park parking lot (Behind school)
4th, 5th, 6th Grade Parents
- If you have a child in 4th, 5th, or 6th grade only (do not have a primary child), please avoid parking in our drop-off/pick-up lane until your dismissal time.
- If you need to arrive early, please park in our back EAST parking lot to wait for your child.
- We need to keep our drop-off/pick-up lane open for each dismissal time to allow a steady flow of traffic.
Best Scenario - please pick up during the dismissal time for your specific grade level. Please use our drop-off/ Pick-up lanes to meet your child while parent stays in the car. We understand some families have multiple children with staggered dismissal times. If you need to wait for your child, please utilize one of the parking spots listed above. This will allow a continuous flow of traffic during pick-up.
Picture Day Makeups: 9/15
School Picture Day was on ON REGISTRATION DAY! We appreciate all of our families that were able to attend.
If you were unable to attend, not to worry. Make-up pictures will be held on September 15.
Photographer link: https://www.barksdalestorefront.com/shop/login/?ac=0008192IN
**The purchase window for pictures will open once proofs arrive.
Job Opportunities with OUSD
NOON - SUPERVISOR
We would love to hire some caring members of our community to help with Noon supervision!
OUSD and Nohl Canyon are looking for Noon-Supervisors! Hours are 11:30 - 12:45, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 9:30 - 10:45 on Wednesday's.
* Please contact Sherrie Seltzer if you are interested in applying: email@example.com
If interested, please visit OUSD job opportunities webpage: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/hr/employment-opportunities
Are you a 4th, 5th, or 6th grader interested in joining our Nohl Canyon VEX IQ or LEGO robotics teams?
If you are interested in joining, please email Ms. Trenner (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information and an application.
Applications can be picked up from Ms. Trenner and are available in the front office.
Campus Volunteers Guidance and Requirements
Enclosed please find the 2023-2024 Volunteer Guidance Memo. Note that the application has been streamlined and many of the trainings have been eliminated.
Volunteers will need to complete the following based on hours:
· Volunteers who work more than five hours per week - Volunteers who work more than five hours per week must obtain a fingerprint clearance through the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations and submit to a tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment/examination. Volunteers are responsible for all associated costs.
· Volunteers who work less than five hours per week - A Megan’s Law registered sex offender check will be completed for volunteers who work less than 5 hours.
Volunteers will also be required to submit proof of their completed Mandated Reporter Training (60 min) and the Districts Illness and Injury Prevention Program (5-10 min). Please call Natalie Montoya at 714-628-5515 with any questions or concerns.
2023-2024 STUDENT CALENDAR / ATTENDANCE
In the 2022-2023 school year, we are pleased to announce that 25 students earned PERFECT ATTENDANCE and Nohl Canyon had an overall 95% attendance rate!
Positive Information on Student Attendance:
SCHOOL UNIFORMS - AMERICAN CASUAL
Tops – Nohl Canyon Uniform shirts are to be worn each day. NC Spirit shirts are allowed throughout the week, along with scheduled themed days (Wednesday = College day). Nohl Canyon allows Free Dress on the final Friday of each month.
Bottoms – Uniform bottoms are to be any type (jeans and leggings included) of solid bottoms with no holes, stripes, or patterns. Colors are Black, Blue, Khaki, uniform plaid.
*Sweatpants not allowed
*Closed Toe shoes only (Crocs not allowed)
Please visit American Casual for information on Nohl Canyon Uniforms.
STUDENT MEDICATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
FEE-BASED AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
CHESS MASTERSLearn to Play Chess!
● Beginner through Advanced Lessons ● New Chess Masters T-shirt ● Official Chess Masters Tournament with Medals ● Awesome Awards and Prizes!
Supervision starts at 2:15 PM
2:25 PM - 3:25 PM
September 11, 18, 25, October 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6
Out of Bounds is a multi-sport program that teaches fundamentals of movement - from running to throwing to kicking and more - through fun, engaging games!
K - 3rd grade
4th - 6th grade
2:30 - 3:45
K - 6th grade
9/11 - 11/6
1st - 6th grade
Anime, Cartooning, and Comic Creation
9/12 - 11/14
K - 6th grade
9/13 - 11/8
12:25 - 1:25
TK - 6th grade
Young Doctors: Pre-Med Academy
2nd - 6th grade
STEAMlab: Inventors Workshop
Learn the most popular Tik Tok Dances while having fun!
9/15 - 11/3
2:30 - 3:30
NCSA 2023-2024 WELCOME LETTER
Jog-a-thon Fundraiser Friday October 27th, 2023
NOHL CANYON WEBSTORE
Click link below to access the NCSA webstore!
PARENT / ORANGE UNIFIED INFORMATION
BUS PASSES NOW AVAILABLE!
Bus Pass office hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed daily for lunch
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Bus Pass Office:
You may visit the Transportation webpage at: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/business-services/transportation
ORANGE CANYON GIRLS SOFTBALL LEAGUE
NOHL CANYON KIDS CORNER
This week, many of our students assisted with our Start with Hello Week! A great showing of Roadrunner care and spirit.