2016 Summer Reading
READ, RELAX, REVIVE
Read, relax, revive BUT DON'T SLIDE!
Pleasure reading, reading that transports your imagination for 20 minutes or more either through story or your desire to learn information, is the best activity for keeping your brain in shape. Studies show that students who read the equivalent of 4 books keep their brain in shape for the fall. Students who do nothing with their brains over the summer suffer from what's called "The Summer Slide" losing anywhere from 1-6 months of academic growth. So grab your books, magazines, tablets and READ!
Need Ideas for Summer Reading?
- Participate in Scholastic's Read for the World Record - sign up HERE!
- Participate in York County's Public Library Summer Reading Program - get information HERE!
- Click HERE for OMS GREAT READS lists
- Click HERE Destiny PUBLIC LISTS - student requested, OMS Most Popular, state and national award-winning, OMS clubs, and OMS classroom reading lists.
- Click HERE to earn free books from Barnes and Noble's K-6th grade summer reading program.
- Click HERE to Books-a-Million's summer reading program.
- Click HERE for free audiobooks for Teen's just for this summer's reading from SYNC
- Pick a genre different than what you typically read to explore. Click HERE for a complete list.
- Read a Kwame Alexander book and get ready for Kwame in Clover 2017!
- Take author Gene Leun Yang's Reading Without Walls Challenge. Mr. Yang is the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature and a National Book Award nominee. He wrote the very popular graphic novel books Boxers & Saints and The Shadow Hero
- You can always email Mrs. Corbiere - firstname.lastname@example.org
OMS SUMMER READING SERVICES
The OMS Media Center will not be open for check out, but read below what we CAN do for you this summer.
- Go to gofollett.com
- Select SOUTH CAROLINA
- Type in OAKRIDGE and select OAKRIDGE MIDDLE SCHOOL from the drop down menu.
- Log in using your school UN and 5 digit PW
Free Book @ Scholastic's BOGO Book Fair
Every rising 6th, 7th, and 8th grade student at OMS receives a free book from the Scholastic Summer Reading Book Fair, May 3rd - May 6th kicking off Summer Reading, courtesy of Mr. Largen and OMS PTSO! It's a great time to stock up on summer reading materials too!
TEAM SHOPPING SCHEDULE
Tuesday, MAY 3rd: 6-1, 6-2, 7-4
Wednesday MAY 4th: 6-4, 7-2, 7-3
Thursday, MAY 5th: 6-3, 8-1, 8-2, 7-1
Friday, MAY 6th: 8-3, 8-4
Monday, MAY 9th - Rising 6th graders will pick a book during their visit
Kwame in Clover 2017!
Newbery Award winning author, Kwame Alexander visits Clover on Friday, April 7, 2107 in the Clover Auditorium. Every 5th-8th grade student will attend 1 of 2 sessions. Mr. Alexander is a passionate literacy advocate traveling the globe to promote reading and writing through poetry. His energy and enthusiasm will entertain and inspire you. Make at least one of his books your summer read and get ready for Kwame in Clover 2017! www.kwamealexander.com