4th Grade Happenings: Week 19
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of January 20 - 23, 2015
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- Author's Purpose
- Sitton List 16 - to be tested Friday 1/23
- homophone usage (their/they're/there, past/passed, etc.)
- measurement cont. in Unit 4 (elapsed time, liquid and mass)
- Begin Unit 5-Geometry & Measurement
- Chapter 5 cont.-Settlers in North America & Texas
Science: Changing Earth
- unit intro
- introductions for both expository and personal narrative
- complete expository writing piece
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- no school
- yellow specials day
- Homework due in math/reading/spelling
- green specials day
- blue specials day-LaCombe library day; DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- purple specials day - Beasley library day; DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- Spell Check over Sitton List 16 (see link for list below in HW section)
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The following dates, to the best of our knowledge at this time, are the dates for the 3rd and 4th 9 weeks that will affect your 4th grader. Please make note of them on your personal calendars. We'd appreciate it if you could limit appointments and absences as much as possible on our state testing days (Writing - 3/30, 3/31, Math - 4/21 and Reading - 4/22)...thanks!
Please update your calendars accordingly. Dates are subject to change; we will do our best to keep this current. If there are any additions from the previous week's newsletter, they will be in italics below.
- Board of Trustees Appreciation Month
Monday & Tuesday 2/2 & 2/3
- Staff February Conference - NO SCHOOL for students (please note, it is a 2 day break this year, vs. the 3 day break from past years
- Friendship (Valentine's) Party - 1:15-2:15
- Students can choose to make a Valentine box at home or they can use a bag to collect all of their Valentine's in.
- Class list will be sent home the week of February 2nd.
- NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- PTA Spring Carnival (subject to change)
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 1
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 2
- end of 3rd 9 weeks grading period
- NO SCHOOL - student / staff holiday
- STAAR Math Test
- STAAR Reading Test
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather makeup day
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Pioneer Farms; more info to come
Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Scholastic book fair in library
- school-wide Splash Day (times TBD; more info to come)
- Living Museum in the MPR: times TBD; more info to come
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather make up day
- NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Holiday
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials; tickets available that week for students that wish to purchase items. More information to come.
- last day of school; end of 4th 9 Weeks - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!
- math worksheet given out in class and due the following Monday 1/26
- Online Reading Log & Questions - 80 minutes reading logged only
- Sitton List 16 Spell Check on Friday 1/23
- spelling homework sheet given out in class and due the following Monday 1/26
Temperature Check - Coats, Please!
OUR PTA ROCKS!
Karen & Stephanie