SMS Jag E-News
We hope that this email finds you well and safe and that you are having a wonderful summer and enjoying time with your family. We have been gearing up for the start of the 2021-2022 school year and we will continue to work tirelessly to ensure a smooth start to the school year for you and your JAG. As we strive to keep you well-informed, here are a few upcoming events and pertinent information. We will share more information as soon as it is available.
Save the dates:
August 2nd-4th:--Jag Camp
August 11th: First Day of School--doors open at 8:20am
6th graders report to commons
7th graders report to Gym 2
8th graders report to Gym 1
August 20th: School picture day during PE/Health/Kickstart classes
September 2nd: Fall Open House
The faculty, staff, and administration looks forward to seeing everyone come together throughout the year to engage in our World Class School.
On behalf of the faculty and staff at SMS, we would like to wish you a restful remainder of the summer. Please do not hesitate to contact any administrator at any time should you have questions or concerns.
All my best,
Sartartia Middle School
It’s time for Jag Camp! We hope that you are having a great summer and are getting excited about the 2021-2022 school year. We cannot wait to have everyone back on campus. We know that many students have not been on campus in over a year and we are welcoming a brand new class of 6th grade students. As we continue to prepare for the fall, we have been reimagining orientation and are eager to kick off the school year with the new and improved Jag Camp.
There will be six sessions of Jag Camp offered and registration is limited in each session, so be sure to register early. There will be one morning and one afternoon session available to each grade level. Each session will begin with a voluntary 45-minute parent meeting. Parents will then be able to leave and return to pick-up their child/ren at the conclusion of camp.
Jag Camp will be filled with fun, games, orientation activities, friends, snacks and so much more! Register on RevTrak to secure your spot. Registration is only $15 and includes all activities and a class t-shirt. There is also a free option for orientation (no t-shirt). Be sure to register for the correct session. Full agenda will be emailed prior to Jag Camp. See you soon Jags!
Monday, August 2
(9:00am-12:00pm OR 1:00pm-4:00pm)
Tuesday, August 3
(9:00am-12:00pm OR 1:00pm-4:00pm)
Wednesday, August 4
(9:00am-12:00pm OR 1:00pm-4:00pm)
Helpful tips for a successful start of the year!
- The purpose of summer reading in FBISD is to engage students in an enjoyable reading experience that maintains and fosters literacy. Summer Reading is not a requirement this year, but helpful information can be found here.
- All immunizations must be up to date prior to the start of the school year. Please ensure that your child is up to date before August 11, 2021. All required immunizations can be found here.
- The SMS dress code policy is available on the SMS website and in the Parent/Student Handbook on the FBISD website on page 69. As you begin shopping for new school clothes, please refer to the policy as dress code is enforced.
- The SMS general school supply list is posted below. We find that our needs sometimes differ from the supply lists provided in local stores so please refer to this list.
- Backpacks will be allowed during the school day this school year because we will not be issuing lockers during the 2021-2022 school year. Please note that rolling backpacks are not allowed.
- PE Uniforms are available for purchase online at Jag Camp and via revtrak...coming soon.
- Cafeteria meal payments may be paid online at Jag Camp or online anytime @ https://www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd
- The clinic will be open during Jag Camp so parents may bring in medication for students.
- Interested in playing sports this year? Don’t forget to get your physical first! Football equipment pick-up is scheduled for August 11th and practice begins on August 12th. Volleyball tryouts start on August 16th.
- Need more information regarding sports? Be sure to checkout the Boys & Girls Athletic newsletters below.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) – We are continuing the use of electronic devices for educational purposes this year. While we encourage children to bring their device to use with teacher permission for instructional purposes, it is important to know they are not required. The FBISD Responsible Use policy is located in the FBISD Student/Parent Handbook. Sartartia’s guidelines are listed in the SMS Supplemental Handbook located on the SMS website. Please know that your child is responsible for his/her device at school and SMS is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Planners - Each student will receive a planner at the start of school. Students are required to have their planner with them every day. Parents should check their child’s planner each evening. Discipline notes and signatures from the teacher are located in the planner as needed. Replacements can be purchased for $5.
Free curbside meals begin Monday, June 7 and will end July 29. Pickup is available on Monday and Thursday of each week. On Monday, families may receive bundled meals for Monday through Wednesday, and on Thursday, they can receive meals for Thursday through Saturday. Please note, Grab and Go Meals will not be available during the week of July 5, as the District observes Independence Day.
Free meals will be available to children and teens 18 years of age and under, and students with disabilities up to 21 years old, including those not enrolled in the District. Families will receive only one breakfast and lunch meal per student per day, and students must be present to receive meals. Students must be present to receive meals. All curbside menus can be found online at www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd or in the SchoolCafé app. Grab and Go Meals will be available at the 7 locations listed below:
7 a.m. to 8:10 a.m.
Dulles High School (550 Dulles Ave, Sugar Land, 77478)
Missouri City Middle School (202 Martin Ln, Missouri City, 77489)
7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Elkins High School (7007 Knights Ct, Missouri City, 77459)
Hightower High School (3333 Hurricane Ln., Missouri City, 77459)
Kempner High School (14777 Voss Rd, Sugar Land, 77498)
McAuliffe Middle School (16650 S Post Oak Rd, Houston, 77053)
Travis High School (11111 Harlem Rd, Richmond, TX 77406)
The results for the STAAR Grades 3 – 8 exams taken this spring are available on the Texas Student Portal site today (June 28). To access the student portal, you must use the unique access code assigned to your child by the state. The Texas Student Portal is located at: https://www.texasassessment.com/
To find your child’s unique access code:
- Log into Family Access.
- You will see that an online form is now available to fill out. The form is named “Student Assessment Results.”
- Click on “Fill Out Online Form” for the Student Assessment Results (note: there is no actual form to complete).
- On the new screen, click on “1. Student Assessment Access Code” on the right-hand side of the page.
- You will see your child’s unique access code as well as a link to the Texas Student Portal. Click the link and use the access code, as well as your child’s date of birth, to access results.
If no access code is listed in Family Access, the Student Portal now has a “Lookup Access Code” link, which is located on the portal site provided above. After clicking on the “Lookup Access Code” link:
- Type in your child’s first name in the first box. PLEASE NOTE THE NAME IS LIMITED TO 10 CHARACTERS.
- Type your child’s social security number or state-assigned number (S-Number) in the middle box.
- Complete the Date of Birth information.
- Click on the blue “Go” button
- On the screen that appears, click on the blue “Go” button
The Texas Education Agency reports student performance by four categories: Did Not Meet, Approaches Grade Level, Meets Grade Level, or Masters Grade Level. Your child passed the STAAR exam if your child’s score falls in the Approaches, Meets, or Masters Grade Level categories.
If you do not have a Family Access account or you would like an explanation of your child’s results, please call your child’s campus.
Fort Bend ISD is kicking off Wellness Wednesdays for students with three vaccination events for all interested FBISD family members ages 12 and older scheduled throughout the summer. For information about the virtual town halls and COVID-19 vaccination opportunities for anyone ages 12 and older, please visit www.fortbendisd.com/covidvaccine.
2 Girls Who Code teams learned that their apps moved to Semifinals in the Technovation App Challenge! There were thousands of apps submitted this year, and only 16 US teams made it to the next round…and 2 of those 16 are here! A link to the announcement and their pitch videos are linked below. Stay tuned to hear more as they continue throughout the summer!
Team Blue Chocolate – Myriam A., Kavya G., Rhea G., Maribelle D.
Team Access Denied – Arya P., Reena D., Avni S.
Summer Learning Opportunities
FBISD Summer Learning Letter to Parents
Dear Parent & Guardians,
Your child has worked very hard this year despite some unusual circumstances due to the pandemic. Thanks for your support in making this happen! In order to maintain this progress, it is important for them to continue reading and practicing math throughout the summer.
Research shows that children lose significant knowledge in reading and math over the summer months. Please review the attached document to review ideas and resources that will help ensure your child continues to grow academically this summer.
Attention all 6th Grade Parents! If you have not sent in an updated copy of your student's immunization record, please do so as soon as possible. We are looking for the TDAP and MCV immunizations, and many of our 6th graders may have received these required vaccines! The clinic staff does not work during the summer, and we would love to have your student compliant before the end of 6th grade. Please know, if we do not receive the updated records, your student will not be able to get their schedule or locker during summer jag camp. Please email the record to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 281-327-6325. As always if you have any questions, feel free to call us at 281-634-6325.
Assistant Principals & Counselors
Dr. Sunday Johnson-Associate Principal
Jo Wells-Lead Counselor
Paul Wells-Assistant Principal
Courtney Border-Assistant Principal
Click this button if you want to access Jag E-News for previous weeks. We have an archive of all of them on our campus webpage.